Guest BKKvisitor

Night Bazzar Get Reprieve

Guest BKKvisitor

(FROM INTERNATIONAL HERALD TRIBUNE)

For months, one of the most popular tourist attractions in Bangkok has been on the brink of closure. In February officials announced that the Suan Lum Night Bazaar, a warren of small shops spanning over 20 hectares in central Bangkok, would be ploughed under to make way for, alas, a shopping mall. April 30 was the ultimate deadline for shopkeepers to clear out.

But perhaps owing to the slowing economy the plans appear to have been postponed. Central Pattana, the company that acquired a 30-year lease on the land, is now talking about closing down the place next year.

In the meantime, the message for tourists and Bangkok residents alike is that the night bazaar, open daily from 4 until midnight, is thriving. On a recent visit, touts were offering hour-long foot massages for 250 baht ($7) and imitation Croc sandals (the trendy über -comfortable and usually brightly colored footwear) were listed at the equivalent of $6 – the starting point for a session of hard bargaining no doubt. Satirical t-shirts were on sale everywhere, including one with the images of Bush père et fils and the caption “Dumb and Dumber.” And the lager at the giant beer garden next door was flowing freely.http://blogs.iht.com/tribtalk/travel/globespotters/?p=125

I will be in Bangkok on Sunday for a few days. How far is the night bazzar from the Silom area??

Not far. A 15 to 20 minute walk. This map should give you some perspective . . . really the Night Market borders the south-east side of Lumphini Park. Just cross the road from there.

market.jpg

(Oh geez, the powers that be have automatically reduced the size of the image for some ungodly reason. How helpful. Apparently you can view the original size photo by clicking in the top left corner.

At least they may be content to keep the Board in this 'Test' feature. So much better, but I doubt it. The Board's owner(s) seem to enjoy making things difficult for the Members.)

Cheers ...

For the sake of accuracy, the street labelled as Rama IV is in fact Sathorn ; Rama IV would be the large street crossing the picture diagonnally.

Thanks for the correction llz, I've changed the map in the thread above.

A mis-labeled map is more confusing than not having one at all.

Cheers ...

Guest wowpow

Interesting to hear - from the IHT not the Thai press - that this market closure is postponed after much furore over it's closing.

Don't lets get too excited about the closure of Suan Lum - it's not a major attraction and is only about 5 years old if that. I never liked the place. The stalls are long regimented concrete rows of small shops, vast and stuffy and a fair number not occupied. It has all the charm of civic planners. The goods seems much the same as elsewhere. a bit cheaper than Patpong and more expensive then Chatuchak.

The plan was to built yet another Mall but I think that Bangkok has overcapacity in this area with the massive Siam Paragon and Central World Plaza having opened recently.

Guest pete1969

I went to Suan Lum my last stay in LOS because the BF wanted to ride the ferris wheel. IMO, it is worth taking in before a night in the Silom area. I personally like the way these shops are laid out better than I like Chatuchak. I also like the open air food court at Suan Lum. I find it to be a colorful, fun night market that is a bit more orderly, festive, and professionally done than the Silom market.

Pete