Guest lurkerspeaks

Advice from "frequent" Thailand visitors

Guest lurkerspeaks

Can anyone (or multiple anyones) recommend any nice, clean, safe hotels in or near the gay part of Bangkok that I might be able to get for around $50 USD per night in November? Thanks in advance for any help...

• Members

If I am not mistaken, November--December--January are the best months for weather in Thailand. You might not be able to get a hotel room per night for that right during those times. But again, I might be wrong!

The last time that I was in Thailand was in December/February of 2007. The weather was superb per day in Bangkok, Pattaya, and Phuket. I stayed at the T...Hotel, can't spell it right now off the top of "me" head, and I found the rate to be reasonable; it was above the fifty dollar range per night!

• Members

The Tarntawan?

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g293916-d554499-Reviews-Tarntawan_Place_Hotel-Bangkok.ht

There is another one with a similar name so I often confuse them. The right one lets guests in, unlike most of the hotels in Bangkok. Well, they let them in for a fee.

I stayed at the Hilton on the river in January for $100 on Priceline. It's a beautiful hotel.

I notice lurkerspeaks hasn't invited me along. I've been to Thailand 13 times and could show him all the right places...for a fee, of course! ^_^

• Members

The Tarntawan?

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g293916-d554499-Reviews-Tarntawan_Place_Hotel-Bangkok.ht

There is another one with a similar name so I often confuse them. The right one lets guests in, unlike most of the hotels in Bangkok. Well, they let them in for a fee.

I stayed at the Hilton on the river in January for $100 on Priceline. It's a beautiful hotel.

I notice lurkerspeaks hasn't invited me along. I've been to Thailand 13 times and could show him all the right places...for a fee, of course! ^_^

Lurker

Thought I told you?? www.agoda.com Select Silom Sathorn area and you will have many to select from. Event 2 and 3 star Hotels in bangkok are very clean, good a/c etc and no problem with joiners. You will have no problem finding nice rooms for $50 or less and for $65 you will get what would be considered near luxury in Brazil. Suggest you look at Ballys Studio on Silom and a little more upscale Saladaeng Collanade which might cost you $65-70 but you will have kitchen and laundry facilities. The weather is beautiful in November, a little cooler and very little rain.

I still highly recc. if you have 7 nights, spend at least 3 in Pattaya for the kind of boys you like. Only a 90 minute Limo ride for $35 and you get the beach thrown in. LOL

Guest lurkerspeaks

Lurker

Thought I told you?? www.agoda.com

I do appreciate all the advice you have offered. I was merely asking if anyone could suggest SPECIFIC hotels that they know of firsthand which fit into what I was looking for. I have looked on agoda, etc, and found many which look nice, but experience shows that what looks good online isn't always the same in person. Firsthand experience is much more reliable in my opinion..If I am able to work it out with 7 nights, which does it make a difference which nights I spend in Bangkok and which nights I spend in Pattaya? in other words, are some nights "better" than others in either city?

Thanks again to anyone who cares to answer any of my questions about Thailand.

• Members

I do appreciate all the advice you have offered. I was merely asking if anyone could suggest SPECIFIC hotels that they know of firsthand which fit into what I was looking for. I have looked on agoda, etc, and found many which look nice, but experience shows that what looks good online isn't always the same in person. Firsthand experience is much more reliable in my opinion..If I am able to work it out with 7 nights, which does it make a difference which nights I spend in Bangkok and which nights I spend in Pattaya? in other words, are some nights "better" than others in either city?

Thanks again to anyone who cares to answer any of my questions about Thailand.

Bars are the same any nights for the most part. If you are into discos then weekend would be better in either place. I would still read the reviews on Agoda , backed up by reviews on Trip Advisor and be confident you will get what they say especially in Bangkok. Pattaya I would be a little more careful for some personal experience . The key is always to book a Double so there is no question when you bring home a guest.

I looked at some random November dates in Bangkok and would still recc. Saladaeng Collonade although it may cost you $20-25 more then your $50 wish price, the quality is extremely high and you get an apartment and a pool. Tartawan is a great location but rooms are a little dated and no room safes . Ballys Studio is a perfect location and the reviews are consistently good, I have no personal experience. Boys and bars will cost you 25-40 % less in Pattaya then Bangkok but still easy to do both..

Guest pokahottie

Hi,

I've been to Bangkok many times and can offer up some info.

We all have a different way of rationalizing how much we're willing to pay and where we're willing to park our corpses for the night. While I do get called princess from time to time, my preference is for modern, clean, quiet, secure with a view and a buffet breakfast all for under or close to $100 as possible, but preferably $70.

You can start with searching on hotelscombined.com. It's a search engine that compares all the major hotel booking sites and hotels, then displays who's charging what. It's very helpful. Choose Si Lom for the area and 5 KM for distance in the settings. I agree with Firecat, follow up by reading the reviews on Agoda and Tripadvisor.

If you can wait, don't be in a big hurry to book now. Keep you eyes open for something that comes up now if it does, but as we get closer to November, in the 1-3 month range, hotels and booking sites start to run their promotions. I usually wait until September before I start looking.

To be honest, I've only booked once using an online site. I've been lucky and scored some amazing specials by directly with the hotel; better than any rate offered on Agoda. I also feel more secure when I book with the hotel simply because if anything goes sideways, I'll be dealing directly with them.

I get weekly emails from Travelzoo HK. Fairly often an incredible deal pops up for one of the big hotels. This is usually where I get the tip off that a hotel is running a promotion. There will be details on how to book the rate.

Here's a breakdown of where I've stayed:

Baan Saaladaeng, (booked directly @ baansaladaeng.com). It's a cozy, gay run guesthouse with reasonable rates that is about a five minute walk to Silom. I would recommend it only if you're into something simple and uncomplicated. The chaps who run it are very personable and friendly. No issues with overnight 'friends'.

The Pinnacle Lumpinee - I can get a very good rate, under $50, when I book through a certain fellow who does bookings on the side. PM if you would like his email addy (it's also in the thread below). The hotel is about a five minute taxi ride out of Silom, 15 minutes on foot if you're into dodging cars, motorcycles and crossing crazy intersections, (stick to a taxi or the subway).

The Pinnacle is down the same road as the Malaysia Hotel but closer to Rama IV. I haven't stayed there for about a 18 months, I understand most of the rooms have been renovated. It has a gay reputation, but I really didn't see that much action when I was there. It's also close to Babylon, the gay Sauna. I never had a problem bringing guests back, but apparently others have. Jimmy emailed me his rates back in April, PM me if you would like to see them.

Glitz on Suriwong, booked directly. Small rooms, gay friendly and overpriced as they're charging for location, location, location. No issue bringing in a visitor. I paid around $40/night when they opened, they're asking almost double now - not worth it for what you get.

Tarntawan - tired rooms and overpriced, but again right in the action. The hotel food was decent. I had no issues bringing in my special friends. It's almost next door to Glitz, across the street from The Tawana Hotel (another option, have not stayed, but have seriously considered it)

The Crowne Plaza Lumpinee is my hotel of choice at the moment. I started staying with them when it was the Pan Pacific and have always managed to find a great rate on their site, but that'll usually be in the $70-100 range with breakfast and other perks. The rooms look a little lackluster, but very nice bathrooms, comfortable beds. Very quite on the North side however the Silom side is exposed to the disco music from DJ Station and GOD all night. Never had issue with guests.

Firecat mentioned Bally. It might be ultra, super convenient to almost everything, but I've read reviews where some people complained about the noise from the discos. I have not stayed there.

There's also OM Yim Lodge. Small, book early. I visited them once just to check them out but never stayed. Again a 5 minute cab ride to Silom, 10-15 minute walk. It's right in front of the Chong Nonsi BTS station.

There's a thread on the Ting and Tong Gay Thailand forum, http://www.gaytingtong.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1157&start=25, that discussed some gay accommodation options in Bangkok. After reading it I would say the information is for the most part, still current.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.