OneFinger

Quinoa - Any Thoughts??

• Members

I spent some time this weekend with friends who haven't seen me since I lost 130+ pounds. They were amazed at the results and, since I'm big on getting proper protein, they recommended Quinoa.

I've never heard of it before but, thanks to Google, found the following website:

Quinoa

I've given up on eating pasta, rice, potatoes, and similar stuff. But, they said Quinoa is a great substitute for those items. Anyone else use it?

• Members

I spent some time this weekend with friends who haven't seen me since I lost 130+ pounds. They were amazed at the results and, since I'm big on getting proper protein, they recommended Quinoa.

I've never heard of it before but, thanks to Google, found the following website:

Quinoa

I've given up on eating pasta, rice, potatoes, and similar stuff. But, they said Quinoa is a great substitute for those items. Anyone else use it?

Yep. Secret Inca magic. A better-for-you couscous the way I make it.

• Members

I cook the grain up separately, like rice. In a saute/omelette pan, sized depending if I am cooking for just myself or for guests as well, a little bit of olive oil so not too high on the heat with thinly- sliced onions and red/yellow peppers, so they cook fast. Peapods, string beans and/or broccoli can be blanched quickly in boiling water and then submerged in ice water to stop the cooking, or save a pan and nuke in a bowl for a 30/60 seconds and after all mixed together, top with some sliced tomatoes. I like them warmed up a bit rather than cooked through so they aren't mushy. Top it with fresh/dried dill or sweet paprika is very nice.

I personally love the flavors of the Asian dressing I posted. Or sometimes I'll beat an egg and let it ooze through and cook that way and a bit of lite soy, sriracha and sushi rice vinegar. My take on fried rice.

Or thinned-out barbecue/A-1 sauce combined with Worcestershire for a heartier finish.

• Members

You guys are incredible! Such healthy eaters. thumbsup.png

Recently, I picked out a quinoa salad at a healthy deli I enjoy, not knowing what it was. It seemed like barley to me and took on the flavor of the other ingredients in the salad. Delicious, but I had no idea it was good for me too.

Many thanks for increasing awareness of this excellent ingredient, for the recipes, and for the cooking tips.

Lazy as sin, I'm on my way now to a local Fresh Choice restaurant where, for $7, I'm going to let somebody else put the goodies together. ike.gif

Thanks again, guys. Your posts really do make a difference!

• Members

I cook the grain up separately, like rice. In a saute/omelette pan, sized depending if I am cooking for just myself or for guests as well, a little bit of olive oil so not too high on the heat with thinly- sliced onions and red/yellow peppers, so they cook fast. Peapods, string beans and/or broccoli can be blanched quickly in boiling water and then submerged in ice water to stop the cooking, or save a pan and nuke in a bowl for a 30/60 seconds and after all mixed together, top with some sliced tomatoes. I like them warmed up a bit rather than cooked through so they aren't mushy. Top it with fresh/dried dill or sweet paprika is very nice.

I personally love the flavors of the Asian dressing I posted. Or sometimes I'll beat an egg and let it ooze through and cook that way and a bit of lite soy, sriracha and sushi rice vinegar. My take on fried rice.

Or thinned-out barbecue/A-1 sauce combined with Worcestershire for a heartier finish.

Thanks for the info. You've got some great ideas on preparing it. Appreciate your sharing.

• Members

You are welcome.

Not to brag too much, but my Chiang Mai-style Thai chicken and basil, is pretty incredible. Lots of prep work, fast to cook. I make an enormous pot and freeze 3/4. It last me about 2 1/2 weeks. Only problems are needing to use regular basil instead of the Thai and dried, instead of fresh Kaffir lime leaves. Oh well, there are much greater problems in the world.