Gaybutton

Maylasia Hotel

Yesterday I spent the night in Bangkok. For those of you familiar with them, you already know that the Pinnacle Hotel and the Malaysia Hotel are on the same street. Whenever I have stayed in that area, the Lumphini Park area, I have always stayed at the Pinnacle. This time, for the first time, I decided to give the Malaysia Hotel a try.

If you look at the photo of the hotel room on the Malaysia Hotel web site, that's an accurate photo. They could have made that photo in the room I had. What they don't show is the bathroom, which does have a bathtub and shower and hot and cold running water both in the shower and the bathroom sink.

The Pinnacle has both room safes and lobby safes. The Malaysia has only lobby safes. My room, at least, did not have a safe. Use of the lobby safe is free, but make sure to ask them what times access to your lobby safe is available. I can't recall whether it was the Malaysia, but I do recall reading something recently about someone having a real problem accessing his lobby safe during certain hours.

The Pinnacle is much nicer than the Malaysia, in my opinion, as far as the room and amenities are concerned. However, even through Jimmy, the Pinnacle is nearly 600 baht more per night than the Malaysia. Through Jimmy, a room at the Pinnacle is 1270 baht. At the Malaysia I was charged 708 baht. The room might be a bit smaller, older, and a bit more dingy, but I think from now on, when I want to stay in that area my first choice will be the Malaysia.

I found several advantages to the Malaysia that I preferred over the Pinnacle. First, the staff is much more friendly and helpful. At the Pinnacle I always feel that it is somewhat formal. At the Malaysia I felt as if I was being welcomed as if I were family. The room was very quiet, with no disturbing noises at all from the street or from within the hotel.

Their restaurant is open 24 hours per day, while the one at the Pinnacle is not. I thought the restaurant at the Malaysia had many more selections than are available at the Pinnacle. Their restaurant also has a choice of indoor and outdoor seating, whichever you prefer. At the Pinnacle breakfast is included. At the Malaysia it is not. You can order breakfast at the hotel restaurant and several small nearby restaurants also offer breakfast. Even if you have breakfast somewhere, you'll still come out much cheaper than than a night at the Pinnacle. I did not, however, eat at the Malaysia's restaurant, so I can't comment on the food.

The Malaysia also has a Thai massage parlor in their lobby, open from 11:00 AM until midnight. You can get a traditional Thai massage or a foot massage. The prices are the same as any massage parlor, so it's not a hotel rip-off at all. The foot massage is 250 baht.

Another thing I liked about the Malaysia was the location. Despite the fact that it is on the same street as the Pinnacle and that the Pinnacle is much closer to the nearest MRT stop, it is a much shorter walk to the Babylon Sauna and to some of the better local restaurants than from the Pinnacle. As soon as you walk out the door, there is a 7-Eleven right there. There are also several ATMs right there. On the same street as the 7-Eleven there are several good restaurants at very reasonable prices. I walked up the street a little bit and saw several restaurants I thought would be worth a try, including a good steak restaurant. One of the restaurants I encountered was an Italian restaurant. That's where I decided to eat. It was surprisingly good, just as good, if not better, than any Italian restaurants I have tried in Thailand. It's a large menu with many excellent choices, ranging from salads to soups, to pastas, meat and fish dishes, several different kinds of pizza, desserts, and specialty items. I tried their version of Caesar Salad and a pork dish. I thought both were very good. You don't have to order a pizza to try it. They give you a little of it as an appetizer. Between the salad, main course, and a bottle of water, my bill came to 320 baht. Not bad at all. Next time I go to Bangkok I'll eat there again. I'm sorry . . . I wish I took down the name of the restaurant and their phone number, but if you want to try it you won't have any problem finding it. It's less than a five minute walk from the Malaysia Hotel.

Another thing I liked about the Malaysia: Boys! There were several freelancing boys both in the coffee shop and sitting on the wall just outside the hotel parking lot. They were all boy-next-door types and some were really cute. I spoke with a few of them. They want 500 baht for short time. Not bad at all for Bangkok and I understand that the Malaysia does not give you a hassle about bringing a boy to your room.

Now, please don't misunderstand me. I am certainly not withdrawing my support of the Pinnacle. I still think it's a great place to stay and there will probably be many more times when I'll choose to stay there. However, I now also think the Malaysia Hotel is an excellent choice as well, depending on what you're looking for.

I would be interested in comments from others regarding their opinions of both the Pinnacle Hotel and the Malaysia Hotel.

The Malaysia Hotel's web site is: http://www.malaysiahotelbkk.com

I have also attached a copy of their business card.

GB - Glad that you found another place that you will like to stay in Soi Ngam Duphli. I have been to the Malaysia several times and seen the rooms and had a bite to eat ( nothing special but OK ). I have always had my eye caught by boys with other farang customers. They are looking for the next trick. I don't find that very polite and I never saw an attractive ( to me ) boy in the place but occasionally outside. The rest of your comments are much as I have heard before.

The rooms that I saw are a bit spartan compared with the Pinnacle but clean and comfortable and terrific value. Their DeLuxe room is 888 baht no breakfast and the Pinnacle is 1270 with 2 breakfasts so the 'real' difference is only 182 baht. The only other problem with the Malaysia is getting a room there as it is so heavily booked. I get a Single DeLuxe room with a big bed from Jimmy for 1170 baht, they have Superior and Standard rooms as well but I don't know the current prices.. The Malaysia's basic single room at 618 baht must take come beating.

The difference in location is small and even at my easy gaited waddle it takes less then 10 minutes from one to the other. The area was the original backpacker area before Kao San Road. There are still several very cheap guest houses and lots of travel agents around. The area is gaying up as besides these two hotels there is Vincents. There is Oh Ho restaurant, Mali Restaurant and a massage place. Nearly you have Babylon and the Rama IV Court massage houses.

The Malaysia does have one problem which for some reason the Pinnacle has escaped so far. It has a reputation as a gay sex hotel and respectable Thai friends will not want to meet you there and even bar boys may grimace a little when they hear you are staying there. The other problem with the Malaysia is getting a room there as it is so popular.

Currently there is a high rise being built just across from the Malaysia which may cause noise problems for some rooms. Even worse is the Pinnacle which is refurbishing its lobby for a couple of months, so you have to enter by the titivated goods lift to the 3rd floor to reception and coffee shop - open for breakfast only. They are also renovating some rooms on the 13th floor. Work is only done between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. and they do offer free drinks on the top floor between 5 and 7 p.m.

One thing I like about the Malaysia is that if you have a friend over, the front desk will keep the id and then, if he leaves on his own, they will call your room to make sure everything's okay. This happened to me last week, I got the phone call asking if everything was all right a few minutes after the trick had left. Normally I accompany the boy to the front desk or call the reception desk saying it was okay to give back his id. One problem is that during the high season, the Malaysia can be booked solid with only waiting lists, so don't just walk in off the street from November to March, or you might be looking for a room somewhere else. Also, the food is okay, but I prefer the Mali around the corner for breakfast. The lobby safes are available 24 hours. One thing for sure, the hotel staff is very friendly, maybe your stay enjoyable even though it is an economy hotel.

The lobby safes are available 24 hours.

I'm quite sure, now, that I remember the accommodation at which the gentleman had problems accessing the lobby safe. I'd rather not mention the name of the place, in case I'm wrong, but if I'm correct the incident occurred in Pattaya and definitely not at the Malaysia Hotel.

Wowpow, would you mind explaining what you mean by, "the 'real' difference is only 18 The only other problem with the Malaysia is getting a room there as it is so p=2 baht." I'm not grasping it. What do you mean by the difference is only 18 and I also don't understand p=2 baht.

You're correct, by the way, about the 1170 baht price at the Pinnacle. That's for one person. The last couple of times I was there I needed a room for two. That's what brought my price to 1270 baht.

Also, my room was quite close to the construction site to which Wowpow refers. I never heard any noise at all and I know construction was going on while I was there.

I also agree about, "respectable Thai friends will not want to meet you there." Well, what can I say? Few of my Thai friends who I would invite to visit me at the Malaysia would fall into the category of 'respectable.' Come to think of it, neither would I.

I wonder why bar boys would be uncomfortable with the idea of going to the Malaysia. Maybe they think if they are asked to go elsewhere, then people would assume they're being invited for high tea and a game of Pinochle.

GB My editing seems to have gone badly astray. Somehow the 8 and the 2 parted company and other things popped in. I was attempting to point out that The Pinnacle at 1270 baht less 2 breakfasts at 100 baht = 1070 which is 182 baht more than the Malaysia at 888 baht.

I suspect that the bar boys moue' at persons staying at the Malaysia is because they may anticipate a lower tip than from someone staying at the Peninsula.

Guest pingalicker

I am coming to Thailand again (6th trip) for the month of October and will be staying at the Malaysia hotel again as always. Love the staff, the location, the resturant and the location. Thank you Gaybutton on the tip about the Italian resturant, did you remember the name yet? Last year, I believe it was you, recomended that little chinese resturant near Rama IV road (which doesn't have a name) and I fell in love with the place! Great food at a great price. And it's right on the way when I walk from the Malaysia to Lumpini Muay Thai boxing Stadium. Oh Ho resturant is also very good, charming small resturant. Just a bit farther down that road (one block) is another reasonably priced thai resturant, but I don't know the name of it. There may be a hotel above it as I see farang come and going up the stairs there. The internet shop between the 7-11 and Oh Ho is nice and friendly and I picked a boy up there. I like the boys around the hotel, they take no kindly and I've had the delights of one very muscular boy that was hanging around the resturant one afternoon. Geez, he was built! And fun! I will stay at the Malaysia for one week, then on to "Two Guys" in Pattaya for a week and then on to the Samui Mermaid resort on Koh Samui and back to the Malaysia for a week. Another good thing about the Malaysia is one can leave luggage in their locked storage room for 10 baht per piece per day. There are always taxi and motobike taxi's ready outside the hotel. I just love the Malaysia and can't brag it up enough.

Thank you Gaybutton on the tip about the Italian resturant, did you remember the name yet? Last year, I believe it was you, recomended that little chinese resturant

I'm sorry. I don't remember the name, but it's the only Italian restaurant there. You can't miss it. A friend has a GPS with Thai mapping software. It gives the names of local restaurants. I'll ask him to check. If he has it I'll post it. Perhaps someone else knows the name or will give it a try and post the name.

Since there are several restaurants around, including the one at the Malaysia, that offer breakfast, do you have any recommendations as to where the best local breakfast is available?

I'd love to take credit for coming up with that Chinese restaurant, but actually it was Lvdkeyes who first told me about it and recommended it. He certainly was right. They have a photo menu and they will make your order as take-out if you wish. However, they do not provide any utensils, so you would have to come up with your own spoon, knife, and fork. I have attached their business card to this post.

For breakfast, Mali Restaurant --soi jusmag, just off soi nham duphli (around the corner from the Malaysia). Great breakfast, good coffee with free refills, gay friendly, plus a cute waiter. The king and queen of Sweden even eat there.

Guest pete1969

I, too, am a Malaysia fan. The BF took me there when we were in BKK without a hotel reservation. Granted, the rooms are not five star, but IMO, they are comfortable and decent rooms, especially at the price. There is also a basic pool with some outdoor restaurant seating near the pool.

I like the Malaysia mainly for the price, but the 24-hour restaurant is also decent value, and the boys hanging out there make it that much more fun. My BF loved the banana spilts at the restaurant, and I ate there a couple of times and found the food okay.

One tip: the Internet access in the lobby is much more expensive than the prices in the Internet shop next to the 7-11 across the street. Plus, as already pointed out by another poster, there are usually cute boys cruising the Internet shop as well, especially in the early evening.

Oh, something else not mentioned, my room also had a small fridge which was good for storing drinks and snacks.

The Malaysia is very close to Babylon and a quick taxi ride to Silom (and there are always taxis outside the Malaysia).

All-in-all, a better-than-average buget option for BKK in a very good location.

Nice report, GB.

Pete

Guest Trongpai

The name of the Italian Restaurant is Ledo. It's on a street called Soi Si Bumphen also spelled Sirbumphen. The owner is from Southern Italy, married to a Thai lady. The restaurant is not gay but seem to have a gay following.

On the same street there are two popular Gay owned restaurants, O Ho's and Om Yim.

Nice report, GB.

Pete

Thank you very much, Pete. For me, the only negative about my experience would be why didn't I ever try the Malaysia Hotel before? I wish I had, although I will still say I have always been perfectly satisfied at the Pinnacle (providing I book through Jimmy. Paying 'full fare' at the Pinnacle, in my estimation, would make that hotel too pricey. But after having tried the Malaysia, I can't imagine a better value for the money.

For those of you who are not familiar with the Lumphini area, both the Pinnacle and the Malaysia are gay friendly hotels popular with the gay "farang" crowd. A taxi ride to the Silom-Suriwong-Patpong area is about 35 baht and usually takes no more than ten minutes or so, even when you wind up in heavy traffic.

I suppose I should also mention something about getting there if you either own or are renting a car. From Pattaya you want to end up on the motorway leading in to Bangkok. There are two ways to do that. One is to simply go north on Sukhumvit highway. That's Route 3. It will take you through Laem Chabang (They finally completed that bridge that was under construction for so long. Now there is no wait at that horrendous traffic light that takes you into the port.), Si Racha, Bang Saen, and Chonburi. After you get through Chonburi, stick to the middle or left lane. The access road to the motorway is on the left. When you get on to the motorway you will be issued a toll card at the toll bridge. You don't pay anything until you exit. The current fee is 55 baht. Take the motorway all the way to the end. Once you get to the end, do not use exit one, two, or three. That will lead you into Bang Na. Take any exit starting with number four. That's where you pay the toll. Just keep following the signs to Din Daeng. You'll have one more toll booth that takes you onto the Din Daeng expressway (which is almost always backed up with heavy traffic). Work your way over to either of the right two lanes. Once you pass the area with the heaviest traffic (you'll know it, believe me, when the traffic suddenly dramatically clears up) move over to, and stay in the left lanes. Take the exit for Rama IV and get into the far left lane. That is the access road for Rama IV. Make the left onto Rama IV and again stick to the left. You'll go about half a kilometer. As soon as you pass under a pedestrian bridge, look for a 7-Eleven on the left. That's Soi Ngam Duplii (you'll often see it spelled Ngam Duplee). Make that left. Almost immediately you'll be at the entrance to the Pinnacle Hotel, on the left. Just continue up the street about 100 meters or so, and you'll see the entrance to the Malaysia Hotel on the right.

The alternate way of getting there from Pattaya is to turn right, from Sukhumvit Highway, onto Route 36. You'll spot the entrance as soon as you get past Banglamung. About 11 kilometers up, you'll come to a fork in the Highway. Take the left fork. That leads you to Route 7. At present there is quite a bit of construction going on and you're likely to run into traffic delays. Also, be careful of potholes in the construction areas. Stay on Route 7 until you pass the service area. There is only one. After you pass the service area, take the second exit on the left. About two or three kilometers down you'll come to an overpass. Stay in the right lane and take the overpass. That will circle around to another highway. As soon as you enter the highway, get into the right lane. That will take you to the entrance to the motorway. Collect your toll ticket, enter the motorway, follow it to the end, and then follow the directions in the paragraph above.

I think I also ought to mention that if you are asking anyone directions to Rama IV, don't say "rama." I don't know who comes up with these transliterations, but it is not pronounced "rama." It is pronounced "perr-ram." The Thai word for the number four is pronounced "see." So, if you're asking directions, ask for "Perr-ram see."

Just in case you miss any of the exits once you're in Bangkok, do you know what to do if you're driving and end up lost? Just stop a taxi or motorcycle taxi, tell the driver where you're trying to go, and have him lead you to your destination. Pay him once you get there. Don't pay in advance. That way, he'll make sure not to lose you. I try to always have a copy of my destination's business card with me. That way the is address is written in Thai. If you don't have a card or a copy of one, try to at least have your destination's phone number. If the driver doesn't understand you or isn't sure where you're trying to go, simply have him call your destination and ask. If you don't have a mobile phone, the driver probably will.

Getting back to Pattaya from there is also easy. From either the Malaysia or Pinnacle, go back to the entrance of Soi Ngam Duplii. You'll have to turn left onto Rama IV. There is no way to turn right. Once you're on Rama IV, work your way over to the right lane and stay there. That will take you to an overpass. About two or three kilometers down you'll come to a traffic signal. That's the first place available to make a U-turn. Make the U-turn and immediately get into the right lane. Just stay in the right lane. You'll be on the overpass again, which will lead you past where you started from. Shortly beyond that, you'll come to the entrance to an expressway. Follow the traffic turning right. You'll have a 20 baht toll to get onto the expressway. Then, simply follow the signs to Chonburi. That will put you back onto the motorway. You can simply go straight until the end of the motorway, and you're back in Chonburi. Make no turns and you'll end up back in Pattaya.

There is an exit from the motorway to get back to Route 7, if you wish to take that route, but until they finish the construction I don't recommend it. There are almost always major traffic delays. There is also a series of detours and unless you can read Thai, it can be extremely confusing. If you don't know what you're doing you can easily get lost.

I know those directions probably seem complicated, but it's all really easy. Depending on traffic, the drive from Pattaya will usually take between ninety minutes to two hours.

Guest fountainhall
Currently there is a high rise being built just across from the Malaysia which may cause noise problems for some rooms

This is going to be a new Accor hotel for their low budget Ibis chain. It will definitely attract more coffee shop/restaurant openings nearby, although I doubt if it will compete with Pinnacle on price - and definitely will be much pricier than Malaysia.

and Oh Ho is nice and friendly and I picked a boy up there

Didn't know about O Ho's take-out service, but I think it's a terrific little restaurant with great food.

http://www.ibisthailand.com/

Their current hotels are priced from 800 baht +10% service and 7% tax, breakfast 120 baht. I have stayed in theri hotels in the UK and Germany and they are very good simple and well designed. I always am nicely surprised by the expensive Hafle faucets and shower fittings. The London Heathrow one was a mere 5000 baht last time I stayed there. I can see that one on Soi Ngam Duphli will be popular but how will Sathorn Soi 1 cope with the traffic? I think it will have to become one way. In the last year the massive Q House Lumphini ( looks like a spaceship crashed with it's nose in the ground) is using it and three new condo blocks. There is a massive condo block going up by Planet Bollywood restaurant and now another large hotel!

As a regular at the Malaysia Hotel I agree with everything Gaybutton has to say about it, but I think his directions by road are not quite right. Soi Ngam Duplee is a turning off Rama IV, before you get to Sathorn. If you go on to Sathorn by mistake you can take the first left and this will bring you back into Soi Ngam Duplee either via Soi Goethe for those of a classical disposition (then right for the Malaysia), or by forking right which brings you out near the 7-eleven (left for the Malaysia).

A couple of other tips: you can book by e-mail, and advance booking is indeed usually essential; but if you arrive latish and you have not made special arrangements you can find that your booking has been cancelled. (They have an overflow guesthouse round the corner where I was once deposited having arrived a day too early, but they may be full too).

his directions by road are not quite right.

Well, I came close, but no cigar. You're right. I confused Sathorn and Rama IV. Sorry . . .

I've edited my directions post above to reflect your correction and now I believe I have it right. Let me know if there are still any mistakes.

No problem.On the way in, I don't remember the 7-Eleven but that's probably because I usually approach on foot from the opposite direction. The shops right on the corners of the soy are first a record shop and second a bank (with a very overweight guard dog usually asleep on the pavement).

For the return trip you can do a U-turn under the overpass, at the junction with Silom (maybe that's what you meant?)

The Thai for Rama IV is pra raam see (pra as in monk - here meaning something like His Majesty). But I'm getting pedantic.....

I don't remember the 7-Eleven but that's probably because I usually approach on foot from the opposite direction. The shops right on the corners of the soy are first a record shop and second a bank (with a very overweight guard dog usually asleep on the pavement).

The 7-Eleven is right next to the record shop. I forgot about the dog, but then I doubt he would be very useful as a landmark when driving, but he might not be a bad one when on foot. I'll bet that anyone who has passed by that bank is familiar with the dog. That dog is a large, gentle creature who has decided that particular area of the sidewalk is his territory, and that's all there is to it. Nobody bothers the dog and I have often seen people feeding the dog. He has literally become a fixture there and seems to be perfectly content. I don't know whether he's a stray or belongs to anyone, but there he is.

Guest fountainhall
If you go on to Sathorn by mistake you can take the first left and this will bring you back into Soi Ngam Duplee either via Soi Goethe for those of a classical disposition (then right for the Malaysia), or by forking right which brings you out near the 7-eleven (left for the Malaysia).

Directions are so difficult to describe succinctly and the map is great. But just to be accurate, I think you mean fork left at the end of Sathorn Soi 1 - not right, or you end up miles away.

I think I should have said turn left for soi Goethe, or go straight on to come into soi ngam duplee with the Malaysia on the left. But Smiles' map does away with all confusion.

I wonder how Thais pronouce Goethe? Farangs say Gerta. It's short cut handy for busy times. Other wise stick to Sathorn Soi 1 and left onto Soi Ngam Duphli. If you turn right you come to the street with Immigration Office but it's only open ( the street ) in daytime as it runs through a military area.

Thank you Gaybutton on the tip about the Italian restaurant, did you remember the name yet?

I just returned from another stay at the Malaysia and I went to that Italian restaurant again. This time I got the information. The name of the restaurant is the Lido and it turns out they have a web site. Their complete menu is on the web site. Delivery is available too. Here it is:

http://www.lidobangkok.com/lidostarters.html

If there is any confusion about how to get there from the Malaysia Hotel, just cross the street after exiting the Malaysia and walk up the same soi where the 7-Eleven and the Siam Commercial Bank ATM is. You can't miss it. It's less than a five minute walk from the Malaysia.

There were plenty of available boys at the Malaysia this time too, even more than last time, along the wall just outside the hotel, sitting on the wall in the parking lot, and even at the outside entrance door to the massage room.

By the way, that dog that always hangs out in front of the bank was not there. I hope nothing happened to him. He has become almost an icon in front of that bank.

Guest painai

That bank has moved across the street where the video store used to be. It looks like they're trying to coax it to "guard" the bank at the new location. I saw the dog in front of the new location Saturday afternoon getting petted by someone there. On Sunday morning, however, I saw the dog back sleeping on the steps where the bank used to be. Poor dog doesn't know where he belongs.

Guest wowpow

The dog is still around and seems to swap between the corners of Soi Ngam Duphli and Rama IV. His original home was peaceful and tranquil at night. The new location is bustling with people and motorbike taxis. These banks have no feeling and probably did not even tell the dog that they were moving.

Much the same as The Pinnacle Hotel not warning about their remodeling of the reception area and 2nd floor. I stayed there Friday to Monday and decided to give it a miss until they have finished the work. Very little work has gone into caring for the customers and making sure that the entrance was a nice as possible. It's grotty and a bit more paint, good signage and carpet would have made all the difference. Even washing the floor by the 3rd floor goods lift would be an improvement and look at all the crap on top of the drinks cage (why is it there?)

The service seems to have gone downhill, no doubt part due to the reorganization. Reception are camping out in cramped conditions. Food service is only breakfast or room service - not that I ever advocated eating there. Reception sent me to a not ready room. My room had one broken bedside light and one had a 25 watt bulb only. There were no tissues. Dressing gowns have changed to short ones of petite size - no good for me! An envelope was delivered for me and the porter knocked on my door despite the "Do not disturb sign" and woke me to give me a non urgent message.

The forecourt exit area is full of workmen and filth. Two caged rabbits for some reason> they look very sad and have little water.

Jimmy tells me that his prices are to rise 50 baht or so but the rack rate is to soar by 300 baht+

A market survey would show that they now exceed the Malaysia by quite a margin, Ibis, budget hotels, are building nearby and another new hotel on Rama IV between Soi Ngam Duphli and the Subway station. I wonder if they are wise?

I also see that SPICE Magazine are offering rooms at Unico Grande Silom at 100 baht a night!