BiBottomBoy

Maniac Cop On The Loose In LA

Guest justme1369

You don't think this guy is an outlaw?

Best regards,

RA1

Law abiding citizen until committing his first crime. He was the sweetheart of the nra...well trained in weapons,legally owned weapons. He wasn't an outlaw when he secured the weapons.

• Members

I guess I don't follow your logic. I have to assume he wasn't an outlaw when he obtained his weapons, otherwise, the checks are worse than useless. But, how does the law of the land or any other supposition keep anyone from becoming an outlaw?

I am not defending this guy. He obviously is an outlaw and needs to be corralled.

Good guys today; bad guys tomorrow. How do we decide and protect against any such?

Not by passing laws against weapons but by passing laws against the illegal use of same, regardless of the previous "credentials" of the perpetrators.

Are you crazy? I thought not and I am hoping you will never be so and therefore misuse a weapon.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest CharliePS

The story seems to have come to an end, in the way they usually do: after killing one more lawman, he has apparently killed himself when it became obvious that he was trapped. But the overkill of forces involved at the end was mind-boggling, and there is bound to be a lot of explaining to do about how he could have gone undetected for days in the middle of the massive manhunt for him (he may have been hiding across the street from the staging area!).

Who knows if it's come to an end.

All they know is that they have a body burned so badly they can't identify it. Not one cop on the scene actually saw him - they are taking it on the word of a cop in the hospital that it was him.

And, oh yeah, there is a trail in the snow behind the cabin leading out into the woods. And this part of California is meth lab heaven so there could be any number of reasons for someone up there who is not Maniac Cop to have run from an army of police goons.

Guest josephga

Id be interested in knowing cause of death. They said a shot was fired but that doesn't mean he shot himself. I think he might have fired the shot with plans of burning the cabin and escaping and was trapped inside.

Guest CharliePS

Until there is firm ID of a body, I'm sure there will be lots of speculation like this, but it is probably Dorner. They have now recovered a charred body, and they claim that Dorner's CA driver's license was found. It was a vacation rental cabin, and the owner said it was unoccupied at the time, with no electricity, so it is unlikely that there happened to be someone else in it when he ran inside.The building was completely surrounded, so the idea of him strolling out the back is unrealistic (he had attempted to escape out the back earlier in the siege, but was driven back inside by gunfire). At least four people--the two women he tied up in town, the man whose truck he carjacked, and one of the game wardens he shot at--saw his face up close before he retreated into the cabin, and all of them said he fit Dorner's description.

Guest hitoallusa

It's just tragic. I feel skirt for the victims and their loved ones. Too many people affected by this incident. Sorry for him too. I don't know what has driven mad but I wish he could have turned for help. Now I hope the LAPD can come up with measures to prevent it from happening again. RIP..

Guest CharliePS

Whether one believes them or not, the authorities insist that they did not intentionally start the fire, and of course, he could have left the burning building to surrender as ordered for a trial. But he had made it clear in his writings that he didn't intend to be taken alive. As the last person to speak with him, the man whose truck he carjacked, said, "He appeared to have an agenda," and the agenda was to go down in spectacular fashion.

Guest CharliePS

He tried to explose coruption in the LAPD and got fired for it.

There is unquestionably corruption in the LAPD, but this generalization is pretty simplistic. He claimed, two weeks after an arrest, that his training officer had kicked a suspect (she had also given him less than satisfactory reviews). Three witnesses to the arrest said they didn't see her do it, the mentally ill suspect gave conflicting stories about it, and the investigators concluded Dorner was lying, which was why he was fired. Three years later, he decides the appropriate way to respond is to murder the daughter of his LAPD legal counsel and her fiance, and shoot various others representatives of the law, none of them connected in any way to the LAPD, and all innocent of any known corruption. This was a personal vendetta by a deranged man, not an expression of idealistic disgust at the LAPD.

Guest hitoallusa

Was the legal counsel or his boss? Anyways, was there any way he could contest his termination so this could not have happened? I want to see the internal investigation report on his firing.. According to his manifesto it seems that he did everything to get his name back.. It's just tragic..

I will not be so surprised if Dorner's accusations are found to be true... Some people will do anything for their career and money. I have personally dealt with people like that and it makes me sad. Where he could have turned if he exhausted all his resources after long three years.. I don't condone what he did but I could understand his desperation if his manifesto is true.. Unfortunately, it's the innocent who pays the price for someone else's sins...

• Members

There is unquestionably corruption in the LAPD, but this generalization is pretty simplistic. He claimed, two weeks after an arrest, that his training officer had kicked a suspect (she had also given him less than satisfactory reviews). Three witnesses to the arrest said they didn't see her do it, the mentally ill suspect gave conflicting stories about it, and the investigators concluded Dorner was lying, which was why he was fired. Three years later, he decides the appropriate way to respond is to murder the daughter of his LAPD legal counsel and her fiance, and shoot various others representatives of the law, none of them connected in any way to the LAPD, and all innocent of any known corruption. This was a personal vendetta by a deranged man, not an expression of idealistic disgust at the LAPD.

Like most things, there are always at least two sides to every story. However, this sounds very much more like an excuse rather than a reason and by a man gone round the bend.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest CharliePS

What I hope is that this leads to a long overdue investigation of the LAPD (who, by the way, shot four innocent people while looking for this dude.)

The LAPD did seem to go Keystone Kops at first, but we don't need to exaggerate the numbers. The LAPD shot two people in one incident. The Torrance police (not part of the LAPD) shot at, but didn't hit, one man--his injury was caused by his airbag detonating. It will be interesting to see what kind of investigation of the whole Dorner case follows. Investigators are already pretty busy with the LA sheriff's dept., which is accused of physically abusing prisoners.