Guest lurkerspeaks

AA and USAIR merger approved by both boards

• Members

Don't be in a rush to give up enjoying your preference just yet. First the boards have to agree, then the US has to approve, then it will take 2-3 years for much to happen that is noticable.

However, yes, there will be consolidation, etc. and reduction of competition is never good for the consumer.

This likely will be an inconvenience, perhaps an expensive one but an inconvenience just the same. And, it won't happen tomorrow.

Best regards,

RA1

I am keeping my fingers crossed it works out for the consumer but not hopeful. USAir's chairman has shown a disdain for their frequent flyers in the past. I have been with American since 1994 and have flown over 3.8 million miles with them. From 1994 to 2008 I was flying 6 to 8 flights a month. the past two years I have cut down alot but I had no complaints with their frequent flyer program.

• Members

Don't be in a rush to give up enjoying your preference just yet. First the boards have to agree, then the US has to approve, then it will take 2-3 years for much to happen that is noticable.

Both Airline's Boards approved the merger on Wednesday and Government approval, according to all the Business media, is a given. They will keep the name "American" but US Airways seems to be the controlling group due to the American bankruptcy.

• Members

SW acquired Air Tran in May of 2011, almost two years ago. So far there is little difference. Both are still operating under their previous names with basically the same rules, for instance, AT charges for bags while SW does not. The complete integration of the name, routes and rules of transport are still many months away, at least. There will be a toe in the water expansion of AT routes late this coming summer.

I expect AA and US to proceed at the same kind of pace. You just can't snap your fingers and have thousands of folks move, routes change, signs change, logos change, etc., etc. I suppose you can do all that but not without spending a LOT of money and having a bigger PR nightmare on your hands than already in place.

I have posted this before but to repeat, when deregulation was adopted in 1978 it was widely predicted that there would only be 3-5 flag carriers after a couple of decades or so. We now are about to have 4.

We got "cheaper" fares, at least until the price of oil went out of sight, but much worse service in every definition of the word. Cabin service, route service, non-stop service, equipment changes and much more has deteriorated steadily. Many suggest there is no such thing as "F" any longer meaning all are cattle class with the only distinction being in which end of the plane is your seat.

Obviously I could go on but I will resist and desist. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1