AdamSmith

Political joke for the day

• Members

Actually, whether you can afford a doctor or not, you will go to the emergency room and wait, just like everyone else. Then a doctor you never saw before and who you never heard of who might speak English will eventually see you. One "proof" of this is to call your doctor's office and listen to the recording that says, if this is an emergency, dial 911. That means, one way or another, go to the emergency room.

I have had excellent care in emergency rooms which makes me suppose others have also. However, I am thinking I should learn another language but it is difficult to choose from so many. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

Not a joke in the least.

546876_10151560809556275_530370395_n.jpg

Carthage Man Latest Local Resident Arrested in Raleigh Protests

Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:48 am

John Chappell, Special to The Pilot

Robert Plummer is 83 and a veteran of the Korean War. On Monday he was arrested along with 72 other protesters in the legislative building.

Nearly a thousand have been cuffed and taken to jail over a dozen “Moral Monday” demonstrations.

Each weekly protest has focused on a different issue and this past Monday’s fought new measures the NAACP and others say are designed to make voting harder, especially for minorities, the elderly and the poor.

Plummer, who lives in Carthage, had been out of town recently and hoped the rallies would continue in time for him to participate.

Local NAACP chapter president O’Linda Gillis picked Plummer up at the airport Friday.

“She asked me was I a man, or was I just talking like a man,” Plummer said.

He went to Raleigh this week and came home exhilarated once again from a Movement experience.

“I walked across the Pettis Bridge with Martin Luther King,” Plummer said. “I am a former secretary of our NAACP chapter. Don’t like to say ‘past’ because past people are all dead.”

Plummer is very much alive, though he suffers from Parkinson’s, has back trouble, and walks with a cane. During his arrest, officers treated him with great kindness and courtesy, offering water, cuffing his hands in front, and checking on him throughout the booking procedures, he said.

“We fought for democracy and voting rights all over the world and are still fighting,” he said. “We see them being taken away by the legislature right down here in North Carolina. I am an old war veteran who was willing to give his life for his country. That was a United Nations war. In a way I was blessed, because I became the first black underwater demolition man.”

Gillis had picked him up Monday afternoon and they rode to the church for the 3 p.m. training session. Then they headed to Halifax Mall across from the General Assembly for the rally. Plummer joined a group who would refuse to leave “the people’s house” on command.

Like all the others from Moore County who’ve been arrested, Plummer praised officers for the way they handled his arrest.

“I must say law enforcement treated us so nicely. I have never seen such courtesy from law enforcement. I was a union president and marched with King across the Pettis Bridge. There was a difference of 180 degrees.”

He feels differently about the present General Assembly.

“Just the opposite,” Plummer said. “I have never seen anything done in the dark so much. It takes me back to the 1960s.”

http://www.thepilot.com/news/article_5474c9ae-f3af-11e2-8619-001a4bcf6878.html