Guest FourAces

OMG I Cooked For Myself Today

Guest FourAces

WOW - I have become so sick of fast food which I eat exclusively 24/7 I decided today I would try cooking for myself. Its not that I dislike cooking its more I hate cooking for just me, become impatient and hate clean up.

So yesterday I went to the grocery store to but a few things.

Well breakfast I skipped as I tend to do. Unless you count tea and a orange as cooking :P

Lunch I made a beef pastrami sandwich. Heated up the pastrami put some Swiss cheese on it with deli mustard and a little bit of cole slaw. Potato chips and a soda and felt pretty full when done.

Dinner I decided to make burgers. Bought some ground sirloin dosed it in woschester sauce with pepper and garlic ... some deli mustard and a large side of cole slaw ... very tasty.

I know that its not like I cooked everything (i.e. chips, cole slaw....) but the few that know me here realize this was a personal event for me. When I say I eat every meal at fast food I mean EVERY meal.

But I was pleased the way it went today and the way it tasted. No grease no salt ( I don't like salt) and no paper wrapper taste.

Who knows maybe tomorrow I will do it again :o

Great!! Fiddling around fixing your own food is so much fun, and gets to be more so, the more you do it.

When I first started trying to cook I was terrified. But then it turned out to be fun, as I said, even when something went completely wrong. I was just cooking for myself at first so who cares? Like Julia said, "If you're alone in the kitchen and you drop the lamb, you can always just pick it up. Who's going to know?" :lol:

Then too I realized the biggest labor of feeding myself is really leaving the house to get something. Once you're out, might as well go to the grocery, where there will be a lot more choices of yummy-looking things than the same-old same-old at Burger Bin.

Keep us updated!

• Members

AS- Don't forget the 5 second rule. If you drop something and pick it up within 5 seconds, it never happened. :smile:

I love cole slaw but never thought of putting it on pastrami. There are lots of versions of sauerkraut available from canned to much better which is what I prefer on pastrami. However, if you like cole slaw on it, I am sure it is delicious. :smile:

After developing a small repertory of recipes that you prefer, the next thing is to realize how to make some of them work to have yummy left overs. Cooking for one can be a pain but with a little planning, combining left overs can not only save money but you have the "fixings" for those times when quicker is better. :smile:

Keep going.

Best regards,

RA1

AS- Don't forget the 5 second rule. If you drop something and pick it up within 5 seconds, it never happened. :smile:

LOL. Then there is the bit my father reported from his Army days: When the chow jerk would miss the plate and plop some food on the floor behind the counter, he would pick it up to re-plate it and say, "It fell on a piece of paper."

• Members

May I suggest a simple recipe? Nuked chicken with baked potato and corn on the cob + a simple salad if you wish.

2 boneless chicken breasts

rosemary

garlic

black pepper

1 can mushroom soup

Place the chicken breasts in a covered micro safe dish, sprinkle on rosemary, garlic and black pepper; then cook on high for about 5 minutes. Turn over and cook for another 3 minutes. Drain. Be careful the chicken and the dish will be hot. Add can of mushroom soup and a little water. Cook on medium for about 5 more minutes until the soup is hot.

In the mean time prepare a potato by using your toaster oven to heat it. Actually this needs to go first as it will take about an hour to cook.

Shuck a fresh ear of corn, run under water to get wet, roll up in wax paper. If you don't stock wax paper, then a paper towel will do. After the chicken is done, cook the corn on high for 1.5 minutes and then let it sit in the paper for another minute.

Plate the chicken and soup. There will be plenty of "soup" gravy for the potato which I like to eat skin and all. Put butter or whatever you prefer on the corn and enjoy. Some fresh tomatoes or a nice green salad is nice also.

Except for the potato which needs to be started and then ignored for an hour, this only takes about 20 minutes to do and does not have to be "watched".

Best regards,

RA1