Guest gcursor

Why give grades?

Guest gcursor

As some of you know, I have been going to college for a while now. Lately, I've been struck by something odd. The people in my classes typically only care about passing with a 2.0 (which is roughly a C grade). I, on the other hand, am on the honor roll and seek higher grades consistently.

Then I started to ponder why do I bother getting good grades? It's not like the college looks at me when I come into the classes and says, "You will be getting a specialized instruction because of your high GPA." When I go into an interview, it's unlikely that an employer will say, "Wow..you're on the Honor Roll...you are hired!!"

No, there are really no benefits per se to getting good grades. My mind then turns to thinking about why a college doesn't just give PASS or FAIL grades. I mean why bother telling me I have a 4.0 and somebody else a 2.0 if nobody else cares about it except perhaps financial aid people (you have to maintain above a 2.0 GPA)? When I go into BEST BUY, does somebody come over and say, "Welcome sir! The HONOR ROLL DVD section is right over there?" No, they don't and it's because nobody really cares.

It's just another way of sorting the haves from the have-nots and allowing people to be segregated into little containers. Depending on what job you are applying for, they may not be happy if you have a 2.0 GPA. You could probably be President of the United States with a low GPA and even a state Governor but forget about being a cable installation person.

Really all anybody cares about is if you get that little white piece of paper at the end of the program saying you've graduated! All the rest of the stuff is just miniscule data that is best left forgotten..unless, of course, you plan on working at Cedar Point.

I had a 4.0 GPA in my Master's program and every employer asked me about it and offered me a job.

I think grades are important. Perhaps, not as important as we often make them out to be. But, IMHO, the smart people are the ones with high grades and they are the ones driven to get those grades because they want to be the best.

Plus, as someone older than most of my fellow students, I want to be on top of EVERY situation. :smile:

Guest hitoallusa

Oh my Oz, you are so competitive.. ^_^ Sometimes it's good for you to lose.

Plus, as someone older than most of my fellow students, I want to be on top of EVERY situation. :smile:

• Members

Up to a point you make a good argument but what about self satisfaction? Can you be happy not doing your very best?

Personally I trace some of this type of situation back to the Viet Nam conflict. Many colleges and universities were passing any young guy so they would not lose their education deferment and be drafted, regardless of the quality of work performed. Perhaps a reasonable result but not a good plan of action which might be having negative results even today.

As you mentioned there are several jobs or careers where it does matter how well you did in school, meaning what you know. The person who graduates last in his medical school class is still called "doctor" but do you want this individual doing brain surgery on you or doing a heart transplant for you? I don't.

Pilots like to think that paying attention to details is important, although I agree no one yet has asked me what grade I got on the various written examinations I have taken. They do ask if I got a "Pro" card when I went through re-current training.

Best regards,

RA1

Sometimes it's good for you to lose.

Like when?? :huh:

I hold with Truman Capote when he said, "Literary prizes are meaningless but if they're gonna have 'em, eventually I want to win 'em all."

Irrelevant to this he also said “I don't care what anybody says about me as long as it isn't true.” :D

Guest EXPAT

Grades are definitely important. When I was hiring sales people one of the thing I looked at was grades in college because it demonstrates commitment to excellence, ability to solve problems and aptitude for new things.

Guest samfitzpatrick

In many schools, the undergraduate GPA is often considered when there are limited spaces in graduate programs.

Guest gcursor

Seriously OZ...on TOP of EVERY situation? EVERY single one? Never in between but always on-top, right?

gc

I had a 4.0 GPA in my Master's program and every employer asked me about it and offered me a job.I think grades are important. Perhaps, not as important as we often make them out to be. But, IMHO, the smart people are the ones with high grades and they are the ones driven to get those grades because they want to be the best.Plus, as someone older than most of my fellow students, I want to be on top of EVERY situation. :smile: