Guest Hoover42

Who's Getting the new iPhone 6?

Guest Hoover42

OK, who's getting the new iPhone 6 or 6+? I'd be interested to know how your pre-order experience went and which phone you chose and why.

I'm not really an Apple fanboy, but I did get up at 2:45 UTC -5 to get my pre-order in for the iPhone 6 (the smaller version). The website was totally unresponsive, but after only a ten minute wait, I was able to pre-order through the Apple Store app on my iPad.

Fortunately, I have next Friday off, so I'll be at home to greet the Fedex/UPS hunk in person. ^_^

The only reason I am not getting it is because the new iOS 8 works on my iPhone 4s. This will be the last year most likely that the 4s will be upgradeable. Because the next time I buy an iPhone I will have to get all new cords and peripherals since they changed the connector on the iPhone 5 and later. So the expense will be much greater.

Guest Hoover42

Oh, yes, one more thing...

Have you noticed Apple keeps crowing about how much thinner they've made the latest iPhone?

As if we've all been sitting around thinking, "Love my iPhone, but Jesus Christ this thing is THICK! If only they could make it a little thinner!"

Who's said that? No one, I would guess.

No! Apple. Instead of making the newest phone thinner, just use that space for more battery.

Please!

The problem with all the other brands is that the software is Android software. For me it's not so much the hardware but the operating system and Apple is by far the most superior. I have an entire Apple environment in my home and car so that defines it. But I did have an Android pad and I was so unimpressed with the apps on Android. They are really inferior and don't have the stringent rules around development that Apple has.

• Members

I've got the iPhone 5 and my contract is just about to expire. So, like markgordon, I'm planning to stop by the Apple store and see what the iPhone 6 looks and feels like.

The gating factor for me will be backup options. Seems to me I read a year ago that the new iOS and/or the new Mac OS and/or the new iTunes requires me to backup to the iCloud. Then I think I read a few weeks later that I still have the option to back up to my computer. I have no intention of backing up to the cloud, no way, no how. As a result, and for the first time in thirty years, I have not upgraded to the newest Mac software.

My plan is to stand there in the Apple store and have them swear to me that I can continue with local backups. That done, I'll probably get the iPhone 6 and upgrade all around.

• Members
You can still back up to your computer.

Thanks!

Like you, I'm all Apple, all the time. But I keep having weird experiences trying to stay away from Apple's cloud. I thought I had severed all ties but then, just a couple of days ago, I discovered some cover art had been installed on some of my iTunes albums which I had manually loaded from my own CD's. I know I didn't load the cover art and I can't figure out who the hell did. And what, if anything, they grabbed of mine while they were visiting.

I know I'm a Luddite when it comes to folks having unfettered access to my computer. If it's something that's important to me, like my bank account and 401k, and Amazon, I'll happily hook into their systems. But if it's something important to them, like my emails and music and graphic files, I try to keep a wall up. But, these days, there are so many folks trying to get their mitts on everything, and not being very forthcoming about what they're grabbing, that I'm always looking over my shoulder.

I guess, one of these days, I'll just give up any illusion of privacy and dump a disk image onto Weibo and Facebook, but that day is not today.

Thanks again for the info. :thumbsup: