MsAnn

Alan Gross released

Guest zipperzone

It's really about time. What a childish, churlish policy that was.

Clinton was in favour of ending the boycott but Bush nixed it when he became President. Just one more example of what a stupid prick he was. But then again, he probably didn't know where Cuba was........

Well Zip glad to know you have such high esteem for repressive dictators who do nothing to help their people.

Let's hope this is a step in the right direction, but I don't think you will see any visas given out to the average citizen at the new American Embassy. At least until the Castro government gets everything they can for themselves first.

Guest zipperzone

Well Zip glad to know you have such high esteem for repressive dictators who do nothing to help their people.

Let's hope this is a step in the right direction, but I don't think you will see any visas given out to the average citizen at the new American Embassy. At least until the Castro government gets everything they can for themselves first.

It has nothing to do with "high esteem for repressive dictators".

If it were left up to you, would China still be on the shit list?

We're not talking China here. I don't totally disagree, but I live in So.Florida and have friends that can tell you horror stories of what has happened to them and their family and friends under the Castro government. If the Castros weren't in the picture, I think everybody would be jumping for joy. But for now, I'm going to side with my Cuban friends. I just want to see this announcement work for the little guys, not just politicians and big Corporations.

If Cuba was such a great place to live, I would'nt see a boat load of refugees arriving on the beach at end of my street every week.

• Members

No doubt Cuba will see some gains from closer relations with the U. S. But I think it stands to lose some things too, if it can't resist development pressure.

. . . 22 percent of Cuba’s land is under some form of protection. The percentage of safeguarded environment in Cuba is among the highest of any nation, says Kenton Miller, chairman of the Switzerland-based World Commission on Protected Areas.

As wildlife and habitat have disappeared from the region, Cuba’s importance as an ecological bastion has steadily risen. As one scientist put it, Cuba is the “biological superpower” of the Caribbean. The island has the largest tracts of untouched rain forest, unspoiled reefs and intact wetlands in the Caribbean islands. Cuba also is home to many unique, or endemic, species, including the solenodon, a chubby insectivore that looks rather like a giant shrew, and the bee hummingbird, the world’s smallest bird, weighing less than a penny.

But the places where nature is pristine now are most likely the places where folks will want their air conditioned hotels.

The Cubans seem like strong people and I hope they can resist getting bowled over by money.

• Members

But the places where nature is pristine now are most likely the places where folks will want their air conditioned hotels.

Not me. I want my hotel next to a hustler bar. But the air conditioned part is a must. Slow rotation ceiling fans are a deal breaker.

The Cubans seem like strong people and I hope they can resist getting bowled over by money.

"Bowled over" does seem overly aggressive, I agree. Can we all agree to substitute the phrase "sweetly seduced"?

And maybe drop that resist part?

tumblr_n5mtmbcPsz1s4pp8jo3_500+-+Copy.jp