TotallyOz

Indiana's New Anti Gay Law

An article in The Atlantic explores why the new Indiana law is more egregious than most of the existing state and federal laws in this area. The essence:

...the Indiana statute has two features the federal RFRA—and most state RFRAs—do not. First, the Indiana law explicitly allows any for-profit business to assert a right to “the free exercise of religion.” The federal RFRA doesn’t contain such language, and neither does any of the state RFRAs except South Carolina’s; in fact, Louisiana and Pennsylvania, explicitly exclude for-profit businesses from the protection of their RFRAs.

The new Indiana statute also contains this odd language: “A person whose exercise of religion has been substantially burdened, or is likely to be substantially burdened, by a violation of this chapter may assert the violation or impending violation as a claim or defense in a judicial or administrative proceeding, regardless of whether the state or any other governmental entity is a party to the proceeding.” (My italics.) Neither the federal RFRA, nor 18 of the 19 state statutes cited by the Post, says anything like this; only the Texas RFRA, passed in 1999, contains similar language.

What these words mean is, first, that the Indiana statute explicitly recognizes that a for-profit corporation has “free exercise” rights matching those of individuals or churches. A lot of legal thinkers thought that idea was outlandish until last year’s decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby Stores, in which the Court’s five conservatives interpreted the federal RFRA to give some corporate employers a religious veto over their employees’ statutory right to contraceptive coverage.

Second, the Indiana statute explicitly makes a business’s “free exercise” right a defense against a private lawsuit by another person, rather than simply against actions brought by government. Why does this matter? Well, there’s a lot of evidence that the new wave of “religious freedom” legislation was impelled, at least in part, by a panic over a New Mexico state-court decision, Elane Photography v. Willock. In that case, a same-sex couple sued a professional photography studio that refused to photograph the couple’s wedding. New Mexico law bars discrimination in “public accommodations” on the basis of sexual orientation. The studio said that New Mexico’s RFRA nonetheless barred the suit; but the state’s Supreme Court held that the RFRA did not apply “because the government is not a party.”...

Full article: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/03/what-makes-indianas-religious-freedom-law-different/388997/

• Members
HA! With Barkley wanting to move the 'Final Four' our of Indiana, and Apple and other major corporations speaking out, the good Governor now seems to be backpeddling, and expresses surprise at the backlash..really?
Tim Cook: "Pro-discrimination 'religious freedom laws are dangerous to America.
Indiana Governor: Lawmakers To 'Clarify' Anti-Gay Law
March 29, 2015 8:36 AM ET
ap322486110443-81a6d9033778e687da5098607

Some of the hundreds of people who gathered outside the Indiana Statehouse on Saturday, for a rally against legislation signed Thursday by Gov. Mike Pence.

Rick Callahan/AP

Updated at 11:30 a.m. ET

Indiana Gov. Mike Pence — facing a major backlash from a new law that would allow businesses in the state to cite religious objections to refuse to serve gay people — says he supports an effort to "clarify the intent" of the legislation while acknowledging surprise over the hostility it has sparked.

As we reported on Saturday, the Religious Freedom Restoration Act — approved by the Republican-dominated Indiana legislature and signed by Pence on Thursday — immediately touched off a vociferous online campaign against the law, as well as a protest on Saturday in front of the Statehouse.

Indiana's RFRA, which goes into effect in July, has also caused some high-profile businesses, such as Angie's List, to rethink expansion plans in the Hoosier state, potentially costing the economy tens of millions of dollars in and thousands of jobs.

Although the law is similar to a federal one and those in 19 other states, sexual orientation is not a protected class in Indiana, leaving the door open for discrimination, critics say.

In an interview on Saturday with The Indianapolis Star,

Pence, a Republican who served in Congress for a decade before becoming governor, said: "I just can't account for the hostility that's been directed at our state.

"I've been taken aback by the mischaracterizations from outside the state of Indiana about what is in this bill," he said, reiterating his support for the legislation.

I like how he phrases it: "mischaracterizations from outside the state" AND "I just can't account for the hostility that's been directed at our state" As if to say, it's those outsiders that are the problem.

However, he said the governor's office was in discussions with lawmakers this weekend "to see if there's a way to clarify the intent of the law." He said those changes would likely be introduced sometime this week.

Asked by the Star if he might make gay and lesbians a "protected legal class" in the state, Pence replied: "That's not on my agenda."

Appearing on ABC's This Week with George Stephanopoulos, Pence talked of an "avalanche of intolerance that has been poured on our state" but declined to answer the question of whether the law makes it legal to discriminate.

On Saturday, hundreds of people gathered to protest at the Indiana Statehouse. Although police didn't provide an exact figure for the number of people who turned out, member station WFYI reported it was about 3,000. Many chanted "Pence must go!" and others held signs that read "No hate in our state."

• Members

Why does this matter? Well, there’s a lot of evidence that the new wave of “religious freedom” legislation was impelled, at least in part, by a panic over a New Mexico state-court decision, Elane Photography v. Willock. In that case, a same-sex couple sued a professional photography studio that refused to photograph the couple’s wedding.

Well, I'm sure there are important constitutional questions at stake here but, in all honesty, I'm not sure I'd want a homophobic photographer doing my wedding. How do I know I could count on them to get my good side? :rolleyes:

455187202.jpg

Guest zipperzone

Child, you are just a Ridiculous fool. You are on a short list of stupid around here. You never piss me off because I feel sorry for you, as I do for all people that have mental illness.

And sorry fucker, I've NEVER been cited for posting inappropriate pics, except by YOU, and we've already established that you Dont matter... Perhaps you are the PERVERT here since its always on Your mind.....?

giphy.gif

Love the way you use the word "WE" as if you were the Lord High Mighty, judge & jury.

Honey - you ain't nothing but POND SCUM.

• Members

Love the way you use the word "WE" as if you were the Lord High Mighty, judge & jury.

Perhaps he fancies himself some type of royalty...as in an old queen. That could make sense.

drag%20queen.gif

Guest callipygian

Is Pond Scum Getting You Down? Making Your Life Miserable?

Then You've Swum Into The Right Swamp!

ExampleAlgaeScum9.jpg

mySuperLamePic_f85a5811fe18395cd81dfa71e

mySuperLamePic_bc78e92e2ffff896a99a51843

Nick2_zpsdn2srgls.jpg

So, I guess the morale of the story is....One woman's scum is another grandma's beauty.

gay%20peace_zpseceipbnz.jpg

Name calling never resolves anything.

Guest callipygian

How do I know I could count on them to get my good side? :rolleyes:

lookin - you're probably the only poster on any forum that I have ever participated on - that needs to worry about having a bad side. :flowers:

• Members

Glad you've noticed Zippy. And YES I have judged you..... "unfit for human consumption"..... :rofl:

• Members

I agree

Glad you are finally participating Wayout..... And just to let you know, when people come for me, that's what they get, and I really dont give 2 fucks what anyone thinks. Alls fair in love and War :thumbsup:

• Members

This is just downright brilliant AS. Where did you find this?

I dont have a problem with any of these people having their own opinions, but when the opinions cross the line and infringe on the freedoms and livelihood of others, thats when it Becomes a problem for me. They dont have to be Pro-gay, but dont enforce legislature to deprive Gays equality. Live your life and let us live ours. You wont ever be my friend and I wont be yours. But we should both be able to exist Equally.

Guest callipygian

No, that's just telling an asshole whats on my mind..... He chooses to continue to provoke me, he gets what he gets. Seems fair to me.

Perhaps, then, you and MsAnn could intervene, with an intervention with Zipper, and guide peace amongst yourselves.

It would be a good thing for everyone.

But, I digress.

Guest callipygian

GLAAD

Once our friend - now, just another paid for lobbying organization - which has lost it's direction more times than not.

#sorrynotsorry

• Members

Perhaps, then, you and MsAnn could intervene, with an intervention with Zipper, and guide peace amongst yourselves.

It would be a good thing for everyone.

But, I digress.

Why should I bother. ? I dont speak his name until he pops up and says some shit about me . He seldom posts, but when he does, its usually against me. I'm tired of it, and really have not a single desire to make peace with him. MsAnn and I have parted ways since I discovered who she really is, and honestly, do I seem like a person that needs moral support ? I fight my own battles, and sadly I cannot be Adam or lookin and always take the high road and avoid confrontation. I am a girl that prefers to wallow in that mud and play with the pigs.... Being the nicest person in cyberspace is NOT on my bucket list, and i'll never be voted Miss Congeniality.

Perhaps you should have that intervention with your team and suggest they stop sniffin up my ass? At least our current tete-a-tete

has spiced up the site. It's been pretty much a graveyard the last 2 weeks. And look, i even got wayout to post ! LOL :hyper:

Guest callipygian

Why should I bother. ? I dont speak his name until he pops up and says some shit about me . He seldom posts, but when he does, its usually against me. I'm tired of it, and really have not a single desire to make peace with him. MsAnn and I have parted ways since I discovered who she really is, and honestly, do I seem like a person that needs moral support ? I fight my own battles, and sadly I cannot be Adam or lookin and always take the high road and avoid confrontation. I am a girl that prefers to wallow in that mud and play with the pigs.... Being the nicest person in cyberspace is NOT on my bucket list, and i'll never be voted Miss Congeniality.

Perhaps you should have that intervention with your team and suggest they stop sniffin up my ass? At least our current tete-a-tete

has spiced up the site. It's been pretty much a graveyard the last 2 weeks. And look, i even got wayout to post ! LOL :hyper:

This could have been written by Lucky. But Lucky (RIP forum wise?) - had more class and introspective.

Sometimes you just need to let go of the anger - go outside - and see what's really happening in the real world.

Not everything which people might say - requires such hate.

PS: I have no team.

• Members

Sorry for your un-necessary loss.

Well wasnt that your intention when you outted her in your Glutes-worthy thread ? One could have interpretted that thread of yours as a manifistation of YOUR anger. So perhaps you need to take your own advice ? People here are Very quick to give advice but tend to think they are immune and dont need to follow it....

Sometimes you just need to let go of the anger - go outside - and see what's really happening in the real world.

Not everything which people might say - requires such hate.