JAYBLK

Ola from Salvador

• Members

"And how can one go to Salvador de Bahia -- the place with the largest concentration of people of African descent outside of the African continent, and the place where the majority of the African slaves were dropped off during the slave trade, a place where over 90% of its inhabitants have African blood in them -- and NOT notice or discuss color?"

Not to mention that the historic city center is called Pelourinho. A pelourihno being a whipping post, like the huge one that used to be up the hill from the Church of the Black Rosary for 350 years. Lots of colonial towns had a designated place for the public torture of captive people. Only Salvador built the city AROUND it.

• Members

Add me to those who enjoyed the insights on racial dynamics in Brazil, especially those in Salvador. Not to mention, I expect my dream guy is a coffee-skinned, green-eyed beauty even now cavorting on a beach in Bahia and waiting for me to settle into a lounge chair with a smile and a fistful of reals. :rolleyes:

526a306c243bd.jpg

I'm a big fan of Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown series and he recently did one on Bahia. It's still streaming on Netflix for anyone who's interested. What struck me was the presence of music and dance, pretty much everywhere and all the time. Not sure if that was editing, or reality, but I hope to find out one day. smiley-dance013.gif

One thing Bourdain pointed out is that, in places like Rio, all the beach bodies were perfect whereas, in Bahia, there's much more variety. Not sure if you recent travelers noticed that, but it would be interesting to hear if you did.

Thanks again, for whatever you care to post. :thumbsup:

• Members

"And how can one go to Salvador de Bahia -- the place with the largest concentration of people of African descent outside of the African continent, and the place where the majority of the African slaves were dropped off during the slave trade, a place where over 90% of its inhabitants have African blood in them -- and NOT notice or discuss color?"

Not to mention that the historic city center is called Pelourinho. A pelourihno being a whipping post, like the huge one that used to be up the hill from the Church of the Black Rosary for 350 years. Lots of colonial towns had a designated place for the public torture of captive people. Only Salvador built the city AROUND it.

Wow. You rlly DID spend time with Fernando the guide, didn't you? LOL. He's good and knowledgeable. And he knows a lot about the black history and politics of Brazil.

BTW, I wouldn't exactly describe his tastes as "rough trade". I'd call it maybe "streetish / Bahian". The guys I've seen him with and date really do look like they would fit in either at the current Persona in Salvador or Meio Mundo in Rio.

• Members

Add me to those who enjoyed the insights on racial dynamics in Brazil, especially those in Salvador. Not to mention, I expect my dream guy is a coffee-skinned, green-eyed beauty even now cavorting on a beach in Bahia and waiting for me to settle into a lounge chair with a smile and a fistful of reals. :rolleyes:

526a306c243bd.jpg

I'm a big fan of Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown series and he recently did one on Bahia. It's still streaming on Netflix for anyone who's interested. What struck me was the presence of music and dance, pretty much everywhere and all the time. Not sure if that was editing, or reality, but I hope to find out one day. smiley-dance013.gif One thing Bourdain pointed out is that, in places like Rio, all the beach bodies were perfect whereas, in Bahia, there's much more variety. Not sure if you recent travelers noticed that, but it would be interesting to hear if you did. Thanks again, for whatever you care to post. :thumbsup:

The beaches of Salvador, especially Praia de Porto do Barra and its neighboring Praia de Farol de Barra, are almost always filled with denizens involved in athletic activity (soccer/football, rowing, swimming, beach volleyball, etc). The beaches of Rio, particularly the more touristy Ipanema and Copa, seem to be more about seeing and being seen. I'd say the beach bodies in Salvador tend to be more lean, naturally athletic builds while the ones in Rio tend to be more muscled (men) and/or surgically enhanced (women). Salvador is much more laid back than Rio.

And also, if I saw you with that coffee-skinned, green-eyed beauty of a guy, I would have to be a home wrecker. Just saying.

I love Salvador, but I also love Rio. I also really love Recife. That's another great visit, with lots of handsome,e sights

• Members

I agree with your beach comparison, Rio vis-à-vis Salvador. Recife, however, is a shithole.

I had lots of luck at the beaches and the beach bars, a great view from my hotel, and a wonderful time at the garoto sauna in Recife. It's definitely on my return list.

I enjoyed Recife much more than Fortaleza, which was too slow for my tastes. And the garoto sauna there was more than a little slow when I went.