Gotti

Sauna scene: Rio in Panic!

• Members

The mighty 117 throws the towell and lets the world to know: It's desperate!

The free suítes are no longer tuesdays only, now includes wednesday, tuesdays, fridays and saturdays! The competition (Point 202) untill now hás only similar offer only wednesday and saturday but certainly will have to act. Stupid price war by stupid owners, they will both lose, without ever figuring out that hot boys is what matters at bath houses. Time to bring back the naked boys nights!

Any info if anything similar is happening in São Paulo would be greatly appreciated.

• Members

I went with a friend to 117 last night. Lasted 3 minutes in the steam sauna before my problems reoccurred, I stayed for a bit less than 30 minutes. A rough count had more clients than boys last night.

The special is free suites all night on Tuesday. First suite free on Wednesday through Saturday. Zero specials on Sunday.

Advertisement states for September only.

They have done some work inside. The men's locker room floor has been totally retiled in granite. Ditto on the walls in the showers. They are still in the process of doing the floor it seems as the entire area was bare concrete. There are a couple of signs that ask for understanding as things are still in the works.

• Members

How is this stupid?? This is excellent news for me...Ill be heading to Rio in a few weeks.....Besides the free suites...any other noticeable changes?

An extended price war usually ends with the demise of the weakest, if it happens we will have less options,and is not a good omen for a shady line of business that caters to a minority. Besides, the heavenly Tuesday nights, the night we would spend the price of admission knowing that the best talent would be there, will lose it's appeal, which means we would not go out knowing we would score.

• Members

Not true at all, apart from the latest Junior/new sauna move, the number of sauna-with-boys in Rio is decreasing, old timers know that 5 or 6 years ago there were more options, same with Sao Paulo. Besides, the demise of a major player, if it happens, will show that this line of business is not for the faint of heart. Regarding the 117 Tuesdays , the lack of must -go night is bad for everybody and harder for out-of-towners that will have less chance to score an occasional decent night by trial.

• Members

For now, at 117, the first suite free is only for the rest of September.

Yesterday morning I went by the original Estacao as I was leaving the Metro, Building is for sale if anyone has an interest.

Some rent saunas that have gone bye-bye include Roger's, Spa 73, Spazio 18, the enormous Caracala and the one in centro on Rua da Quitanda that lasted about a month.

Not true at all, apart from the latest Junior/new sauna move, the number of sauna-with-boys in Rio is decreasing, old timers know that 5 or 6 years ago there were more options, same with Sao Paulo. Besides, the demise of a major player, if it happens, will show that this line of business is not for the faint of heart. Regarding the 117 Tuesdays , the lack of must -go night is bad for everybody and harder for out-of-towners that will have less chance to score an occasional decent night by trial.

I have been traveling to Rio since 2004 and the same saunas that offered rentboys have been around....I totally understand what you mean but since this has been a way of life in the country for such a long time, some entrepreneur who loves boys will open up shop....

Even with the large number of saunas they have managed to exist for a long time...while some have closed, the major players seem to have stayed the same....

For now, at 117, the first suite free is only for the rest of September.

Yesterday morning I went by the original Estacao as I was leaving the Metro, Building is for sale if anyone has an interest.

Some rent saunas that have gone bye-bye include Roger's, Spa 73, Spazio 18, the enormous Caracala and the one in centro on Rua da Quitanda that lasted about a month.

Can you give some background history on the saunas that have went bye bye....location, clientele, etc.

Thank you....

• Members

...have traveled to Rio since 2002: the saunas that I know which have seen a demise are Rogers and Estacao. I got my "first taste" of Brasilian men at Rogers in October of 2002. Before I ventured in, I'd read guidelines at http://daddysreviews.com (which was "Hooboys" prior to his death! Also, on that trip I went to Estacao which was directly located down the street from the Hotel Atlantico Copacabana, a hotel which allowed guests in our rooms without any problem up until 2010. The only requirement from the guests (male or female) was to leave ID. When the guests returned to the lobby to procure their IDs, the desk personnel would ring our rooms to see that we were all right! I liked this!

Club 117 has been around for a while; Point 202 not as long. Meio Mundo and now the New Meio Mundo is the "newest kid on the block." Have gone there; ...liked for its natural, down-to-earth ambience amongst the boys!

• Members

...have traveled to Rio since 2002: the saunas that I know which have seen a demise are Rogers and Estacao. I got my "first taste" of Brasilian men at Rogers in October of 2002. Before I ventured in, I'd read guidelines at http://daddysreviews.com (which was "Hooboys" prior to his death! Also, on that trip I went to Estacao which was directly located down the street from the Hotel Atlantico Copacabana, a hotel which allowed guests in our rooms without any problem up until 2010. The only requirement from the guests (male or female) was to leave ID. When the guests returned to the lobby to procure their IDs, the desk personnel would ring our rooms to see that we were all right! I liked this!

Club 117 has been around for a while; Point 202 not as long. Meio Mundo and now the New Meio Mundo is the "newest kid on the block." Have gone there; ...liked for its natural, down-to-earth ambience amongst the boys!

Sorry ihpguy, I didn't see your response before I responded!