mvan1

Rio - more gangs, more crime and now, vigilantes

• Members

I believe you are well-intentioned and have on a few occasions complimented you on your posts.

But as a local resident, like ihpguy, I would just recommend that you diversify your local news sources. Perhaps something written in the local language. I would personally recommend: Veja, Globo, Folha, Estadao, or Epoca.

• Members

The short answer is NO! Absolutely not!

Hi tomcal,

I regret that we appear to be going OT on this thread. If you prefer, I can start a new thread on this, say on "Residency in Brazil." This is not meant to be provocative, and if you check my post history, you will see that I am no internet troll here! On the contrary, I am a local resident who has tried to be be constructive here.

Can you elaborate? A number of us here purchased at right around that time! And have not looked back. Economically, and certainly socially, it was absolutely one of the best life decisions that could have been made.

I recognize that not all of us have that option, as professional obligations may dictate otherwise. I know that you appreciate Brazil, its culture, and its povo, so perhaps that was your case?

• Members

I believe you are well-intentioned and have on a few occasions complimented you on your posts.

I don’t believe you are well intended. Furthermore, I don’t care if you do or don’t compliment me on any post I made or might make.

The bottom line is that you, in tandem, repeatedly and inappropriately, created dissension over a post I made to this forum in good faith relative to The Rio Times. The Rio Times is not a scientific news source, but neither is this forum.

But as a local resident, like ihpguy, I would just recommend that you diversify your local news sources. Perhaps something written in the local language. I would personally recommend: Veja, Globo, Folha, Estadao, or Epoca.

As to your unsolicited recommendation to me, I suspect you are bright enough to know where you should file that.

Such a fuss over a few links that I made to the Rio Times - My, oh, my -

http://modernmelly.m...talker-tactics/

-

Ferrar, It is not a option for me for several reasons. 1) I absolutely love living in the U.S. and particularly in SoCal. 2) I am very close to my family and would not want to be a continent away most of the year. 3) I run a company here 4) there are many things I love about Brazil and Brazilians, but not more then I love my home/culture/friends here. AT the end of 10 days to two weeks I am always ready to go HOME! It's great for those who have the option to do this and make their home in Brazil, for me, financially I am able to make multiple trips a year so it's a viable option and these roughly every 3 month trips keep me very happy!

• Members

Tomcal, I appreciated your response. I guess the timing you had mentioned piqued my interest since as mentioned I made my purchase decision at around the time of your initial visit! Clearly, you made the right decision, and I am happy for you, just as I could not have made a better life decision myself. Mainly for personal reasons, but as it were professionally since I worked here with a couple of companies before making the definitive move.

• Members

I just got back from spending time in Porto Alegre, Rio and Sao Paulo. Amazing trip! one of the best I have taken in the past 14 years that I have been going to Brazil, usually 4 or 5 times each year!

The roving gangs of young teens(usually)is nothing new! This has happened ever since I have been going there. Usually they perform "snatch and Grab" thefts! I mentioned in the past when going to the beach, I only take about $30R(todays rate about $7.00U.S) nothing else, should they come running past you there is nothing for them to grab! no money, no watch, no iPhone, etc.!! for that you can rent a chair, umbrella, get a soda, food, and small bottle of suntan lotion! I personally have never witnessed this activity, and on a sunny weekend there are thousands of people on the beach.

I was out every night in Ipanema at dinner usually walking back to the apartment around 12:30 - 1:30 a.m., and noticed no difference in the attitudes or activities of locals. I admit I was never walking alone! there were always 4 to 6 of us walking together. :-) :P

The biggest surprise this trip was how much I enjoyed Sao Paulo, specifically Lagoa! I enjoyed it so much I just booked a return visit in December!