Guest topjohn5

Clothes Made in Thailand

Guest topjohn5

Hi Everyone!

Since I'm taking my first trip to Thailand in December for a month and a half I have a question about clothes that are good to purchase there. I realize a few big brands are made in Thailand but does that mean that those brands are always inexpensive to buy in Thailand?

So, as an example; 2xist underwear, which can be fairly spendy in the USA is made in Thailand. Does anyone know the cost of this brand there? Or, if you're not a 2xsit man, lol, then pick another brand that is made in Thailand (or does it even need to be made there to be cheaper there?) let me know what if anything its a good buy compared to the USA.....it may be better to buy than to bring it......

I haven't really shopped for clothes in Thailand so I am not sure if they would be any cheaper. For sure if you are in the giant malls the prices are probably comparable to what you pay at home. You will find cheaper stuff in the local markets. But depending on your size you might have a hard time finding "farang sized" clothes. I bought a "large" t-shirt last year that would be somewhere between a small and medium in USA sizes.

Guest lvdkeyes

I think the best prices on clothes are from a REPUTABLE tailor. I had a cashmere and wool blend tuxedo made a couple of years ago for $100 USD. I was still living in the US at the time and renting a tuxedo for a night cost me $95 USD. I wore mine 4 times before I moved to Thailand, so I am way ahead of the game. Shirts cost about $20 USD and slacks cost about $28 USD to be made to order to give you some idea.

Guest topjohn5
I think the best prices on clothes are from a REPUTABLE tailor. I had a cashmere and wool blend tuxedo made a couple of years ago for $100 USD. I was still living in the US at the time and renting a tuxedo for a night cost me $95 USD. I wore mine 4 times before I moved to Thailand, so I am way ahead of the game. Shirts cost about $20 USD and slacks cost about $28 USD to be made to order to give you some idea.

Thanks!

Very nice. I figured tailored clothes might be priced well. Does anyone have the name of a good tailor in either Bangkok or Pattaya?

Personally, I would not buy name brand items unless at a major shopping mall like Siam Paragon in Bangkok. The likelihood of it being a fake is high if anywhere else. I don't mind fakes but I know what I am buying when I buy. I supply most of my walking shorts in Thailand. I send the BF out to buy them as he gets a better deal than I do and most Thai markets will have them.

If you are in Bangkok, go to JJ Market on the weekends. In Pattaya, go to Theppasit Market on the weekends. You will find lots of great stuff cheap but don't believe the name on them and always negotiate down. They see a falang and they know they can raise the prices.

In Pattaya, there is a tailor at the start of Immigration Soi in Jomptien that does excellent work. I have used them many times but forgot the name. It is on the corner though of that soi and beach road.

Guest lvdkeyes
Thanks!

Very nice. I figured tailored clothes might be priced well. Does anyone have the name of a good tailor in either Bangkok or Pattaya?

In Pattaya I like Classic Tailor across from Royal Garden Plaza around to the small soi behind Second Road. They have been there for years and it was recommended to me by one of the late owners of Cafe Royale. I have always been well satisfied with them for the past 13 years.

Guest joseph44

It's not underwear, but some months ago I bought a regular Levi's 501 in a Levi's Shop:

THB 1,895.

There are numerous original brands for sale in Thailand. Imported brands may cost (a lot) more. Thai made brands (there are some) may be cheaper. Not every Thai-made brand is automatically a copy!!

There is a pretty good shop on Sukumvitt when you are going from Pattaya towards Bangkok. The name is something like Fly 2 Buy.....that is not exactly the name but you will see big signs with a similar name when you get close. It would be close to where you would turn right to get to the Motorway.

They have "international" sizes and the quality and prices are quite good.

At Pattaya Central Mall (North Big C) the have a shop called xxx and has large sizes.

Guest fountainhall

Only one suggestion to add to the other comments. If you are having pants tailored, make sure you have at least 2 fittings. I find Bangkok tailors tend to make them quite tight in the crotch area and this is not something you generally notice until you have worn them a few times! Better still, bring along a pair of pants you like and ask them to copy the measurements exactly.

Guest topjohn5
Personally, I would not buy name brand items unless at a major shopping mall like Siam Paragon in Bangkok. The likelihood of it being a fake is high if anywhere else. I don't mind fakes but I know what I am buying when I buy. I supply most of my walking shorts in Thailand. I send the BF out to buy them as he gets a better deal than I do and most Thai markets will have them.

If you are in Bangkok, go to JJ Market on the weekends. In Pattaya, go to Theppasit Market on the weekends. You will find lots of great stuff cheap but don't believe the name on them and always negotiate down. They see a falang and they know they can raise the prices.

In Pattaya, there is a tailor at the start of Immigration Soi in Jomptien that does excellent work. I have used them many times but forgot the name. It is on the corner though of that soi and beach road.

Thanks everyone.....

GT, where can I find both of these markets? And, do they only operate on the weekends or is it that there are fewer vendors on the weekdays and that's why you suggest the weekends.....

Also, I hear Macau is the shopping mecca and some say its 50% less than Bangkok......

Guest walter42
Thanks!

In Bangkok try 'Rajawongse' Clothier by Jesse @ Victor.

Their address is 130 Sukhumvit Rd., Next to the Landmark Hotel

This is a top notch taylor. Some of the past US Presidents are their clients.

Certainly not the least expensive one. However you get what you pay for.

They did a suite for me two years ago, just perfect.

Guest topjohn5
In Bangkok try 'Rajawongse' Clothier by Jesse @ Victor.

Their address is 130 Sukhumvit Rd., Next to the Landmark Hotel

This is a top notch taylor. Some of the past US Presidents are their clients.

Certainly not the least expensive one. However you get what you pay for.

They did a suite for me two years ago, just perfect.

Okay, these folks I guess, right? http://www.dress-for-success.com/

Also, has anyone had any experience with this tailor in BKK: REX on South Sathorn