JackR

Rio in Autumn

Hi All

I'm making my first trip to South America this year. Very excited! Especially after reading all the posts on this forum. I was hoping if someone would be able to tell me what the Rio scene is like in May? I believe this is the low season in Brazil and a lot of guides advise that that it's a nice time of year to visit because the weather is good and there are less tourists. But I was wondering if this means that there are less boys in the saunas? And if so, would be be better to visit later - in June? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

J

• Members

Hi All

I'm making my first trip to South America this year. Very excited! Especially after reading all the posts on this forum. I was hoping if someone would be able to tell me what the Rio scene is like in May? I believe this is the low season in Brazil and a lot of guides advise that that it's a nice time of year to visit because the weather is good and there are less tourists. But I was wondering if this means that there are less boys in the saunas? And if so, would be be better to visit later - in June? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

J

Just about anytime is a good time to visit Rio and the saunas. The only time you might find it dull and with few clients and garotos is just before xmas time. Many of the out-of-town sauna workers and clients go away for the holidays, which means the saunas are without many clients and garotos.

Throughout the year (except xmas time) you might find the saunas not busy (fraco) then other times you might find the saunas packed (cheio). There is no logical explanation for the fluctuation from busy to not busy. Sometimes heavy rain might explain the weak nights but, changes just happen.

Those two Portuguese words mentioned above (fraco and cheio) are words used by the sauna owners and other Brazilians to describe whether a sauna is busy or not busy with clients and garotos.

You said you read the posts in this forum about Brazil. That being so, I want to caution you (just as I have cautioned other first time visitors to Brazil) to limit your association with garotos to within the confines of the saunas. You are safe in the saunas.

After you visit Brazil a few times and learn a little Portuguese and some of the lay of the land, you might want to venture out and invite a garoto to spend time with you outside the saunas. On the other hand, you might be a very confident person who adapts to most any situation.

My caution and opinion are based on my having spent a lot of time in Brazil and after more than 140 trips here.

Have a great time in Brazil.

I echo Mvan's views. I will say I avoid only July, because all schools are closed the month of July as well as being the coldest month of the year, which is not much a factor in Rio but can be a big deal in Porto Alegre where it can get down in the 30's! May is a great time to visit(as is June, Aug, Sept, Oct. Nov etc.. LOL )

Have a great time!

Guest riosul77

Those two Portuguese words mentioned above (fraco and cheio) are words used by the sauna owners and other Brazilians to describe whether a sauna is busy or not busy with clients and garotos.

Did you mean "cheia" ?

• Members

Did you mean "cheia" ?

No, I wrote cheio -

It is a common word often heard on busy nights in the saunas in Brazil. Very colloquial -

col·lo·qui·al
adjective
definition:
  1. (of language) used in ordinary or familiar conversation; not formal or literary.
    synonyms: informal, conversational, everyday, nonliterary;
completo, cheio, pleno, inteiro, repleto, lotado
replete
repleto, cheio, empanturrado, saciado, completamente cheio
fraught
cheio, carregado, pleno
stuffed
recheado, cheio, estufado
thick
grosso, espesso, denso, cheio, cerrado, carregado
bursting
cheio, prestes a rebentar