torogen

Rio tour guide

• Members

I contacted Marcelo who was mentioned on another thread, and he said he will not be available during my visit to Rio in mid-April. I was wondering if anybody has any other recommendations of a gay tour guide? I am not necessarily looking for a guide who will also have sex, but I am interested in one who is willing to offer frank sexual advice about places to visit, or advice about picking up guys, etc. Any recommendations are appreciated.

I guess it depends on your personality. My first time in 2001, there were no gps/smart phones/etc. I had a couple of addresses written on a piece of paper for rogers sauna and 117, and never used a guide! but I am a type "A" personality and am the type to drive around and not ask for directions! saying that, with all the information available on the web, I don't see why you would need to pay for a guide! imho!

• Members

I guess it depends on your personality. My first time in 2001, there were no gps/smart phones/etc. I had a couple of addresses written on a piece of paper for rogers sauna and 117, and never used a guide! but I am a type "A" personality and am the type to drive around and not ask for directions! saying that, with all the information available on the web, I don't see why you would need to pay for a guide! imho!

I agree with tomcal - 100%.

I never had a guide on my first trip to Rio back in 2003. I have taken more than 140+ trips to Brazil since then.

It all depends on you, like tomcal implied. If you are timid and afraid to do things alone, then, by all means, hunt for a guide.

However, I would make a huge wager that any guide you hire would not know half of the information that has been posted to this forum.

Prior to your departure, you should print pages from this forum that have names and addresses of places you will want to visit and print pages on how to get around transportation wise. The information is on this forum.

You said your sister-in-law is Brazilian. You hinted that you might know a little Portuguese. Based on the foregoing, and if you copy the information I suggested, you will not need a guide.

If you want a guide for comfort sake, you might very well meet a compatible garoto in one of the saunas that might accompanying you around acting as sort of a guide for you.

Good luck

• Members

Thanks. I was considering a guide simply because it is so cheap. Not set on it. I was actually hoping to find a guide with a car who could drive me around to a couple of tourist spots, not particularly gay spots, but I was thinking both would be good. My S-I-L is from Florianopolis, and not somebody I would necessarily ask for advice about garotos ;) Also, I am a fan of sex clubs and cruising, and that was kind of what I was thinking. There is a wealth of info on the sauna scene, less (it seems to me, and I've been digging avidly on these forums) on sex clubs and cruising. I did see some info on Buraco da Lacraia and Gayligula, and both seem like places I would be interested in checking out. For the tourist stuff, a non-gay guide could help me, but I was thinking a gay guide would be more fun.

Thanks. I was considering a guide simply because it is so cheap. Not set on it. I was actually hoping to find a guide with a car who could drive me around to a couple of tourist spots, not particularly gay spots, but I was thinking both would be good. My S-I-L is from Florianopolis, and not somebody I would necessarily ask for advice about garotos ;) Also, I am a fan of sex clubs and cruising, and that was kind of what I was thinking. There is a wealth of info on the sauna scene, less (it seems to me, and I've been digging avidly on these forums) on sex clubs and cruising. I did see some info on Buraco da Lacraia and Gayligula, and both seem like places I would be interested in checking out. For the tourist stuff, a non-gay guide could help me, but I was thinking a gay guide would be more fun.

It sounds like you want to hire a companion versus a guide...in 2016, there is no need to hire a guide because you can research and find info about any and everything on the internet and the metro and taxis are very efficient in Rio...

Good luck....

It sounds like you want to hire a companion versus a guide...in 2016, there is no need to hire a guide because you can research and find info about any and everything on the internet and the metro and taxis are very efficient in Rio...

Good luck....

There is not a large cruising scene in Rio since the saunas take care of all of that and unless you are attractive based on Brazilian gay standards, you will NOT be hit on in the streets or receive welcome glances back...even in the gay areas....

Try Sexy Rose...that is like a standard sleazy bookstore where you will find locals....you can find it easily in Rio and just google the address

Just some advice....there are places where younger, attractive guys go and hang out where I did not see a lot of the older gents that I saw in the saunas and vice versa....the barbie looking guys from the beaches will not be in the saunas where the rent boys are UNLESS they are working there

I'm basically a mid-40s muscle bear, and I'm not only into younger guys ;) I figure there might be some other handsome tourists or locals who want to play

I am not going to say it's not gonna happen, cause it has happened occasionally, but the tourists going to Brazil, want to meet Brazilians not the same type of guys they can hook up with at home. My best friend at the time in 2001 - 2005 went with me to Brazil a numbr of times during those 4 years, he is very good looking, blonde, muscled and picks up anyone he wants from 20 to 40 yrs. old in the U.S. and he met a guy for free maybe twice in all that time, and both of them were actually looking to get to the U.S. he later found out...just saying. So keep your expectations in check, and you just might get lucky but don't expect as a regular occurance like in the U.S. btw, many guys in Rio are on Grindr so you might very well find free hookups on there, but most seem to be looking for similar types in their 20's like themselves

• Members

I will keep my expectations in check. But my nature is to be constantly on the prowl. My experience with Grindr in the US is very similar...mostly younger guys looking to meet each other, although sometimes an occasional "daddy" fan. I am much more popular on Scruff. And regarding the possible motivations of Brazilians, my brother married a 20-years-younger Brazilian girl, so I am definitely aware that ticket-to-the-US is a strong motivator. And now that gay marriage is legal, I think that will probably only increase.

Plus, I may find that I enjoy the saunas so much that I want to spend all my time there ;)

Go to http://www.riogayguide.com. It is chalked full of information. Also, to see the sights, check out the "Hop on "Hop Off" bus if they are available in Rio. You travel at your own pace and do as you wish in terms of your length of time. There are guys on http://www.craigslist.comwho serve as guides for a fee. {I sent you a long pvt. regarding this and a few other things!} ...wrote more here, but when I wanted to change a word inadvertently deleted.}

• Members

Torogen For intergeneratoink nonrent;

Ursos do Rio in Catete st Espaço Marim

Lá Cuevá on Rua Miguel Lemos in Copa

Sauna Leblon in Ipa on Barão de Torre

Non rent sauna sex busy Friday night and Saturday night on Correa Dutra at Sauna Catete.

Definitely you should do a free register on HORNET

• Members

Go to http://www.riogayguide.com. It is chalked full of information. Also, to see the sites, if there is a "hop on, hop off" bus in Rio de janeiro, do the "touristy stuff" or some of it that way! You pace yourself.

There is no hop op. hop off service in Rio -

See this Tripadvisor post:

1. Re: Hop on Hop Off Bus
Jun 05, 2015, 9:04 PM

There used to be (briefly) a Hop on Hop off bus in Rio, but it is no longer in operation.

I'm not aware of anything similar.

Tours tend to be a bit pricey, but if you don’t mind spending the extra money, a tour to Corcovado and Sugar Loaf may be worth it, although I still believe you can do these tours safely and easily on your own by using inexpensive taxis to move from one venue to the next.

Viator and Grey Line are two of the more popular tour companies in Rio.

Viator:

• Members

I have a friend who lives near me. I don't know why I've never thought about him when people request someone. His name is Guilherme. He is gay. Professional tour guide. Speaks a few languages including English, Spanish, German, Portuguese.I also believe French and some Italian.He normally takes Brasilian groups to Europe but with the fall of the Real, less Brasilians are traveling to Europe. What are your April dates when in Rio? Any idea on the number of days needed and dates and I'll ask him. He is definitely not a sauna boy. If I remember correctly, he is in his early 50's. Dies the saunas, Sex clubs, etc.