Badboy81

First Trip to Rio 2016...

5 hours ago, germark01 said:

Thank you... Badboy81

Very good suggestion...I need to practice taking pics on cellphone without people knowing

How about going to some of the big Tourist sights such as Christ the Redeemer & Sugar Loaf Mountain?

Would that be the same situation? Or can I al least bring a cheap point & shoot camera?

You can take your regular camera to the tourist destinations but be careful as you will look like an easy target...

Guest lurkerspeaks

I would not recommend any type of camera, even at touristy spots. The gang guy cant tell if it is an expensive item or not. He just sees a possible $$ and it becomes a target

• Members

Actually, I kind of disagree with Lurkerspeaks.

Take the camera but keep it in a backpack unless you are physically taking a picture and then always have someone with you watching your back.

On your own, I wouldn't risk it. A simple point and shoot camera would be cheaper than a smart phone.

I had a smart phone stolen right out of my hands by a kid on a bicycle. It can happen that quickly.

I normally do not take my cell phone out of my pocket unless I am in a protected area. I'll go into a bank branch, office lobby or Starbucks to use it.

Corcovado/Cristo Redentor/Christ the Redeemer and Pao de Acucar/Sugar are safe. They are filled with tourists and thieves won't go up top normally, That costs money and there there are levels of security to pass through.