johnmatt

First trip to Brazil

• Members

I have enjoyed reading of the many Brazilian adventures of several of the members of this forum (and the pics!). I am planning my first visit to Sao Paolo and Rio later this year. I realize that the first visit will be quite a learning experience but I was hoping for a little advice..... I don't speak Portugese and only a smattering of Spanish. Do most people go with others at least for an initial visit or is "going it alone" feasible? Also, any suggestions for hotels in both Rio and SP that are nice (Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton equivalent) that allow guests...? It seems as though most meet up with garotos at the saunas and only with time and experience do they bring guys back or meet at their hotel..... Am I correct in this assumption? MANY THANKS...

JOHN

• Members

I had some trepidation in going to my first sauna visit in Rio. I did hire a young man as  guide to the scene (he was a friend of a friend)  However after he showed me around a bit and told me how to go about things I felt pretty comfortable. He also took me to Corajinna's (RIP) and gave me the low down on the (then thriving-now gone) street scene.

And then I got sick as a dog for the rest of my visit! 

However- I think you will find a lot more info on this board than what was available back then.

Unfortunately Rio has a dearth of US chain hotels- at last in areas convenient to activities that would be of interest to this crowd. There is a JW Marriott on Copacabana, a Sheraton not too far out, and a very nice Sofitel  . Many nice independent properties ( I enjoyed my stay at the Royal Rio  https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g303506-d535722-Reviews-Royal_Rio_Palace_Hotel-Rio_de_Janeiro_State_of_Rio_de_Janeiro.html and also many of the chains have locations a lot further out  in  Barra da Tijuca . As mentioned in another thread hotels are a bit of a bargain now. 

I, and I think most of the posters here, STRONGLY advise against bringing fellas back to your hotel-especially if this is your first visit. Play at the Saunas, sleep in your hotel.

The Marriott is in a great location on Copacabana and about 5 blocks from the Siquerio Campos metro station(subway) and easy to walk to Pointe sauna!  The Sheraton is too far for a first timer and not convienent for walking, imho.  I was scheduled to stay there my first trip on 2001 and we moved to ipanema the next day after we realized it is too far and the windows look right into a favela across  the road!  I do agree that a hotel is probably best for a first time visitor...unless you are a big HO like me!   :-)

the Royal Rio is in a good location but charges $50R for a guest!