Guest mrb43

Verizon Travel Plan

I have a question for you guys who travel to Brasil with your cell phone.  

For $10.00 a day I can get a Verizon Travel Pass.  Worth it?  

Thanks.....

• Members

While a sim card will be cheaper more than likely, its not a bad deal. But there are a couple of things to consider.

Its not a bad price to be able to stay in touch with friends and family back home who you need to call.

If you are reaching out to guys via apps saunas etc they will use whatsapp so having your data might be good. (but you would have that option regardless of using a sim card or the travel plan)

The question becomes if you want to use you main phone in public

I personally use my old backup iphone as a with a local sim card. I do this to avoid the risk of making myself an easier target and stealing my phone. Plus even if it is stolen I wont be without a phone or lose precious info data etc.

All about considerations and risk, but thought id give my 2 cents.

Guest lurkerspeaks

I am considering using AT&T's equivalent plan next month while in Thailand. My Iphone is locked so I can't (easily) replace my sim card. With AT&T, the plan itself is free. Just anytime you use your service internationally, you incur a $10 per day charge. If you use it day one and day three and do not use it day two or day four, then you are just charged for two days. So you can use wifi when at all possible for data, but if in a bind and need service, it is available.

I always backup everything on my phone to a seperate external drive, even though I don't own the latest fanciest phone.  And I always bring a second, and even a third smartphone when I am on the road.  I have lost many phones while drinking and partying in central/south America.... But, to me, it's a small price to pay for the wild fun I had.  I can't afford to travel and party if I can't afford to loose a phone.

• Members

I have AT&T and when I goto Brazil for 9-10 days,  I use the $40 Passport Plan with limit of 200MB Data Plan.  I need it because of Uber to and from Sauna and even from Airport to your hotel or when you go back.  In fact I have not used up all my limit. It is cheaper than $10 a day, AT&T has that plan too.  You can use your WhatsApp while outside if your not connected to a Wi-Fi to talk to garotos.  My Friends have T-Mobile  with international data plan is already included in their plan.  I am going this on November, Thanksgiving Week and I will use same thing again. Ask Verizon if they have same $40 thing with a limit.

• Members

When I travel to Brazil its usually for periods of 10 days to two weeks and so paying for Verizon's $10/day seemed to be to pricey especially since many days I was not using much data as I was connected to wifi much of the time. I would usually get a local sim for a fixed amount of data and it was much cheaper. I recently switched to T-mobile largely for their free international roaming benefit. When you are in Brazil T-mobile's speed will be throttled down to 128kbs--just enough for messaging and basic apps so I will see if that is enough. My friends who have used the $10/day Verizon plan in Brazil are satisfied--the speed and coverage is similar to home.