Lucky

Costa Rica Info

• Members

Friends are thinking of going to Costa Rica in March, but they are a bit worried about crime as they are older and, as one put it, "we can't run as fast anymore!" But I remember seeing posts, or hearing guys say they went there and had no problems at all. Can anyone provide more info about trips there? Thanks!

• Members

I stayed at Colours Oasis when I was in San Jose, and it is very safe walking around Rohrmoser. When I went downtown, it also seemed mostly safe, although rundown and with crumbling streets. But the info I got from the locals was mixed. I told my Tico friend that I was going to leave the bar to go to another bar three blocks away, and he walked me outside. When he realized that I was planning to walk, he looked at me like I was crazy, and told me no, there was no way he was going to let me walk even a short distance. He insisted on getting a taxi for me and negotiating the price. He told me never walk downtown at night.

Another taxi driver who picked me up in front of Pucho's (the gay strip club) was very informative. He told me that lots of guys cruise around Parque Nacional looking for clients, and that any of those guys will do anything for $20, or stay an entire night for $40. He was like a freelance procurer. When I tried and failed multiple times to get in touch with him, I finally took another taxi to the park, and asked the non-English speaking driver to drop me at the corner (after dark), and he immediately got very concerned and said, "No, no, no. Muy peligroso!" (No, very dangerous). I took heed of his advice and had him drop me at the bar a few blocks away.

My takeaway? Take a taxi after dark.