CaliPexx

The "New" Rio Times - MUCH improved & worth subscribing

• Members

As reported in a prior post in this Forum, after having come within an inch of death, a generous benefactor took over The Rio Times earlier this month. The new owner of the online site, Matthias Camenzind, promised to provide more reporting within Rio de Janeiro and to expand coverage to other cities in Brazil. I was dubious that he would follow through but already there is a significant change in the online newspaper's content.

Just in the past two weeks alone, I have noted many more stories about life in Rio de Janeiro, including politics, travel, crime, the economy, shopping, dining, and other subjects of interest to guys on this Forum who travel there. As an example, The Rio Times did cover the story this week, addressed in another post on this Forum, about President Jair Bolsonaro not wanting Brazil to become a "gay tourist paradise".  Importantly, new owner Camenzind has, as he promised, expanded coverage to other parts of Brazil, in particular to São Paulo. Whereas the nightlife entertainment column in the past dealt solely with things to do in Rio, the Rio Times each day now includes a nightlife suggestion column for São Paulo.

Although one commentator in the previous BoyToy Latin American thread suggested that we all should study Portuguese and read the articles published in online Brazilian news sources, it's not really practical to expect everyone to get a good reading command of Portuguese. Even if you do read Portuguese (and I do), sometimes nuances in meaning aren't readily appreciated. The Rio TImes does a good job of publishing online stories that are clear to understand. I urge everyone with an interest in Brazil to subscribe with the hope that The Rio Times may continue with our support along its current, much improved journalistic path. Here is a link to the "Premium Access" subscription pagehttps://riotimesonline.com/premium-access/

The Rio Times site_logo-544x180.png