Guest RichLB

New Passport and Old Visas

Surely someone has run into this situation before. In a couple months my US Passport expires and I am picking up my new one tomorrow. I'm curious what happens with my Retirement Visa, extensions, etc. which are in my soon to expire old passport. Does anyone know how this is handled?

When I went last year the US Embassy gave me a letter along with the new passport that requested that the Thai Immigration transfer the visa stamps over to the new passport. It is just a formality but you need to make sure and get the letter. I don't believe that has changed since I was there.

john

Guest MonkeySee
That won't work, at least with a USA passport. When the embassy issues you a new passport, they take and keep the old one. That's what they did with mine.

Right you are. They do take your passport but do return it to you after voiding it. I am not sure how long that will take. Like TOQ said, if you do not have your old passport, the embassy will give you a letter you present to immigration. Might be a good idea to have a couple of photo copies of your visa and entrance stamp.

Guest laurence

Although not aware of procedure for issuing a new passport at an embassy, but if in the US, your old passport will be returned with a hold punched through it to void it.

When I went last year the US Embassy gave me a letter along with the new passport that requested that the Thai Immigration transfer the visa stamps over to the new passport. It is just a formality but you need to make sure and get the letter. I don't believe that has changed since I was there.

john

This was my experience - Embassy voided my old passport, but returned it to me. I took the Emabasy letter and old passport to Pattaya Immigration - they transferred information to my new passport (a few stamps as it appears they put in the history of original visa and previous extensions plus last entry into Thailand).

Guest travelerjim
This was my experience - Embassy voided my old passport, but returned it to me. I took the Emabasy letter and old passport to Pattaya Immigration - they transferred information to my new passport (a few stamps as it appears they put in the history of original visa and previous extensions plus last entry into Thailand).

Same/same for me...

Returned passport with hole punched in it...

with letter from US Embassy to Thai...

BUT, remember...

The Thais will transfer the retirement visa..

BUT NOT THE MULTI-ENTRY PERMIT!

Thais said ...you have to get a new multi-entry visa if you want it...

it expired with the old passport...

Go figure! TIT!!

I lost out...

I think the reentry visa is about 3,800 baht for multi-entry...

so beware! It will NOT transfer to your new passport...

tj

Guest MonkeySee
I lost out...

I think the reentry visa is about 3,800 baht for multi-entry...

so beware! It will NOT transfer to your new passport...

tj

If that happened to me, I would have gone to a different immigration officier or location. It is a hassle and takes time, but you may be surprised by the results. Not sure if the results would have been possible, but this is Thailand.

Guest fountainhall

For UK nationals, you get the old passport returned with the new one. Prior to that, the officer will ask you which visas you wish to remain valid. He will then cut the tops of those pages which are not valid and leave those with visas. For a time (not sure how long) those visas in the old passport can continue to be used if both passports are presented to Immigration officers.

Guest MonkeySee
He will then cut the tops of those pages which are not valid and leave those with visas.

Seems like a sensible way of doing things. I wonder if the US embassy is able to do the same? Perhaps RichLB can ask? If they cannot, maybe the UK procedure can be pointed out for future consideration.

Seems like a sensible way of doing things. I wonder if the US embassy is able to do the same? Perhaps RichLB can ask? If they cannot, maybe the UK procedure can be pointed out for future consideration.

You can easily find out for yourself. Call the US Embassy, passport division at 02-205-4040. They will be glad to tell you how they handle it.

Ok, I just got back from the US Embassy in Bangkok to pick up my new passport. Arrived 10 minutes before the 11 o'clock morning closing and went directly to Window C. The girl there took my old passport, disappeared somewhere and returned in 3 minutes. She gave me back my old passport with three holes punched in it and the word "Void" stamped across the opening page, a letter to Thai Immigration requesting they transfer my previous visas, and my new passport. Interestingly, the new passport is dated from this date and not from the date of my expiring old passport (now that I think of it, that makes sense). I had not previously had a multiple re-entry permit so I don't know how that would be handled. The process was simple and virtually no hassle. Thanks to all who replied.

Interestingly, the new passport is dated from this date and not from the date of my expiring old passport (now that I think of it, that makes sense).

Of course they have to date it from today's date. Today is January 29. Suppose your old passport expires May 29. What would you use for a passport between today and May 29? That's why it has to be dated from today's date, otherwise you would be holding a passport with no validity.