Guest MonkeySee

Don Mueang Airport

Guest MonkeySee

SAMUT PRAKAN: -- Suvarnabhumi Airport is ready to take back domestic flights from Don Mueang Airport, according to Airports of Thailand (AoT) acting president Serirat Prasutanont.

Mr. Serirat, who is also director of Suvarnabhumi airport, said that the flight relocations will begin March 29 as the national flag carrier, Thai Airways (THAI) has announced it will move all domestic flights now operating from Don Mueang Airport back to Suvarnabhumi Airport on that day.

Many airlines have agreed to move their services back to Suvarnabhumi, but some still oppose such a decision by the government, he said.

"The AoT will try to persuade and explain them the advantages of the relocation. Suvarnabhumi Airport is not as congested as they think. We can still support more flights," according to the acting AoT president.

In the future, Don Mueang Airport will serve only chartered flights and will become an aviation maintenance centre, Mr. Sererat said.

Mr. Serirat added that, during the Chinese New Year festival, all flights had fully resumed services at Suvarnabhumi and that the airport now welcomed about 100,000 passengers daily, a figure not much different from what it was before the airport seizure in late November, he said, serving 90,000-110,000 passengers daily.

The AoT chief said that an additional 165 flights from 21 local and international airlines have been operating during the Chinese holiday period (January 24-February 5), with about a 7,000 passenger-increase daily.

Mr. Serirat, however, admitted that the global economic slowdown has severely affected the chartered flight business, with the number of flights landing during Chinese New Year festival dropping by 50 per cent.

He hoped that the situation would gradually recover in the near future.

-- TNA 2009-01-26

Guest fountainhall
Many airlines have agreed to move their services back to Suvarnabhumi, but some still oppose such a decision by the government

I, for one, regret this decision. I find Don Mueang a breeze compared to Suvarnabhumi. Remember, Suvarnabhumi had reached 100% of its capacity last year. Anyone who had to leave on an international flight between 07:30 and 09:00 am or arrive between 2:30 and 4:30 pm will recall some horrendous queues at Immigration. On one morning flight to Tokyo, Immigration took 45 minutes with queues stretching outside all of the Immigration areas. On another flight arriving from Hong Kong, only 16 of 80 Immigration desks in the centre and west areas were open, and there were near fights breaking out.

As a frequent flyer, I believe three further problems with Suvarnabhumi are

a. the mix of domestic and international;

b. the placement of security screening so close to the departure gates rather than immediately after immigration; and

c. the disastrous arrivals area. Anyone who has been there recently to try and meet clients or friends will know that it is a total shambles.

If Suvarnabhumi is truly going to operate 'solo', then I trust the number of Immigration officers will be increased by at least 100%, and something will be done to move low cost carriers to a new dedicated terminal like at KL in Malaysia. If the latter is not started quickly, Suvarnabhumi will be swamped one again when the recession bottoms out.

Guest buckeroo2

Another problem at Suvarnabhumi - at least for me as I fly on EVA Air. Before I go through security to reach my departure gate, I have to forfeit my bottled water and there are no vendors once I clear security - no place to buy water, a snack, or a magazine or newspaper- nothing except departure gates and restrooms. Maybe other gates are not set up the same way, but the gate used by EVA is void of anything other than the departure gates.

Guest fountainhall
Maybe other gates are not set up the same way

I have flown many carriers and all 'wings' seem to be the same. In this day and age, I think it is absolutely crazy to have the only security check so far from the airport entrance and so close to the aircraft. In theory, any terrorist could get that far with a variety of weapons without being challenged!

Guest GaySacGuy

The switch from Don Muang to BKK for the airlines shouldn't afftect immigration at all. All international flights are still using BKK, and only domestic flights will be added. Therefore, immigration and customs should see no increase in traffic or lines. The only really big actor at Don Muang is currenttly Thia Air Domiestic flights.

Guest fountainhall
The switch from Don Muang to BKK for the airlines shouldn't afftect immigration at all

The point I was trying to make is that Suvarnabhumi Immigration was woefully understaffed, as several officers admitted to me when I asked why so many desks were closed at peak times. They even asked me to write to the Director of Immigration asking for more staff!! But putting the quote prior to my comments in my last post implied a link to the move from Don Mueang which was not the case.

Guest MonkeySee
For me the downside of Don Mueang is there is no easy bus service there from Pattaya.

I agree with you about that. Car service, taxi, or going into Bangkok first, was the only way I know of getting to Pattaya from Don Mueang. The transportation center at the new airport is so much better and easier than anything I found at Don Mueang.

Guest GaySacGuy
I agree with you about that. Car service, taxi, or going into Bangkok first, was the only way I know of getting to Pattaya from Don Mueang. The transportation center at the new airport is so much better and easier than anything I found at Don Mueang.

Where at BKK do you go to catch the best bus to Pattaya???

Guest lvdkeyes

Call Bell Travel Service 0894498843 between 0800 and 1800, then meet the rep at exit door 7.

To me, the best bus to and from Pattaya is Bell bus service for 150 BHt each way. They will take you right to your hotel and pick you up when you return to BKK. Bell is caught on the bottom floor at gate 7. Look for a lady with a sign. Here is a URl to a very good post on all of the bus services.

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/bus-s...88599&st=15

In case this is out of date here is an email address to check schedule and even buy your ticket in advance.

bell@pattayabus.com

Guest fountainhall
I think I just read that there will be a new high speed train will be in service in a few months from Don Muang to the new airport

Given that the government is basically scrapping Don Mueang over the longer term, this seems impossible. You may be confusing this with the rail link between the city and Suvarnabhumi which is now virtually complete. I saw a train on it the other day. I believe it will be officially open later this year.

I tried that e-mail address, and my mailer rejected as does not exist??? Is there more to it???

This is the contact info that I have from this past summer. Excellent service!

Bell Travel Service Co.,Ltd

Tel. Bangkok Office: 02-747-4673, 02-747-4675

Tel. Pattaya Office: 038-370-055, 038-370-056

Suvarnabhumi airport: 086-345-8442 and 086-345-8441

Email: rrc_bus@hotmail.com

Guest naughtybutnice
no place to buy water, a snack, or a magazine

I also travel EVA using the Bangkok/London route twice a month and the gate EVA uses is a problem for buying refreshments but there is a simple solution.

I have found that if buy a bottle of water before security and do not break the plastic seal on the bottle and also keep and show the till receipt they let it through. Newspapers / snacks- just buy them prior to security I am sure you know two minutes before security if you really need anything or not.

Guest fountainhall
I have found that if buy a bottle of water before security and do not break the plastic seal on the bottle and also keep and show the till receipt they let it through

This is extraordinary because it is a clear breach of internationally agreed security procedures. The only container with more than 100 grams of liquid permitted through any security screening has to be a duty free purchase from an earlier connecting flight that is in an airline's or airport duty free's specially sealed bag.

It's also hugely dangerous. In theory, anyone wanting to cause harm on a flight could fill a water bottle with some dangerous clear liquid and find a way to 'seal' it prior to arriving at the airport. Then on arrival purchase the same bottle of water, throw away the bottle and keep the receipt. Get a gang of 3 or 4 passengers doing the same thing and you have the required number of different liquids to put together a bomb on board.

I certainly would not want to be on any flight out of Suvarnabhumi if security is letting bottles of water through. Indeed, I think the Head of airport security should be informed and the practice stopped immediately.

Guest naughtybutnice
I certainly would not want to be on any flight out of Suvarnabhumi if security is letting bottles of water through. Indeed, I think the Head of airport security should be informed and the practice stopped immediately.

I agree with you but TIT.

Maybe if the procedure used at Heathrow where your carry on bag/s are X-rayed prior to entering the Duty Free area then permits you to make a purchase of water that can be taken onto a flight would resolve the problem.

But even Heathrow has its faults. On my trip back to Thailand over the New Year the X-ray machine in T3 was playing up and very long queues formed, some 10-12 people were waived around the machine.

My last flight back from Singapore in december was very funny. I took all flights one can of sodawater with me and never it was found during the controls - but i saw some people they took their waterbottles away. Means in Singapore-Zürich-Athens and Frankfurt nobody wants my sodawater in the handluggage

Guest fountainhall
I took all flights one can of sodawater with me and never it was found during the controls

In dozens of airports I have seen people stopped, their hand luggage searched and any liquid or lotion taken away before they can proceed to the gates. But thinking about it, I cannot remember any cans being confiscated. Maybe it is because the security people think liquid in a can is much more difficult to replace than in a bottle or plastic container. It seems logical, although still not 100% secure.

Guest GaySacGuy

It would seem logical that the can would be seen on the xray...or whatever kind of ray it is...and would key the people to look for it???

At Don Muang the security is very lax campared to BKK...because BKK is doing international flights, and Thailand could have more bad press if something let through here was found someplace else and was a great hazard.

Given that the government is basically scrapping Don Mueang over the longer term, this seems impossible. You may be confusing this with the rail link between the city and Suvarnabhumi which is now virtually complete. I saw a train on it the other day. I believe it will be officially open later this year.

You are probably correct that I did not remember the details. Do you know where the link in the city will be?

Guest fountainhall
Do you know where the link in the city will be?

As you come in from the airport and get close to the junction with the Port/Din Daeng Expressway, you can see on the left side the huge City Terminal construction on the railway sidings at Makkasan.

There's some very useful information - and non-information! - on the airport's website. Apparently there will be an interchange at Makkasan with the MRT at Petchaburi station (the one between Asoke/Sukhumvit and Rama 9).

There will be non-stop and commuter rides. The non-stop will take 15 minutes; commuter ones 27 minutes. The commuter service from the airport will stop at Lad Krabang - Thub Chang - Hua Mark - Ramkhamhaeng - City Air Terminal, and then proceed on to Ratchaprarop and Phayathai where there wll be an interchange with BTS Phayathai Station. So there will be links to both of the city's major transport systems.

According to the website, "the opening is expected to be ready for service in October 2008". Oh well, TIT!