Jake

Voltage and Internet

Hello Friends,

Can I charge my phone from US into the outlets in hotels or airbnbs in Sao Paulo and Rio - without busting ?

Also what is/are the availability of cybercafes or internet cafes or hotel business lounges with desktops -  as I will not carry a laptop or a tablet?  Would you know how much are the internet usage rates are with the use of a desktop in the internet cafes?

Thank you

11 minutes ago, Jake said:

Hello Friends,

Can I charge my phone from US into the outlets in hotels or airbnbs in Sao Paulo and Rio - without busting

As a general principle:

1 Google the electricity supply voltage for the country you are visiting

2 Check what's written on the back of your phone charger.  If it's designed to work on a 100-240v supply, you are probably OK anywhere

3 If the charger is only designed to work on a single voltage, buy another one. Amazon have plenty.  Brands like Anker seem good.

4 The current output of your new charger ought to be at least the same as the original one, unless you want slow charging.  A higher current ought to be no problem at all, since the phone regulates charging.   If your phone uses one of the quick charge systems, like PD, either buy a charger that supports this or expect slower charging.

The above is not correct!  I have been to SP and Rio a combined 9 times in the last 3 years. 

São Paulo and Rio both use 110v/115v... completely compatible with American Voltage requirements. In the kitchen areas you may find 220v outlets, they are usually marked with a red face plate to differentiate them from the 110. Most times they will be clearly labeled with 220v, especially at an AirBnB, because a few Americans did not understand what the red color meant!  The 220v outlets are always in the kitchen to accommodate certain popular counter top appliances that Brazilians like to have in their kitchens.  

You can get adapters easily at a chain store called Kona (think our Office Depot) for about 6,00R$.  Konas are everywhere both in SP and in Rio, just google "Kona near me".

In all of my travels so far in SP and Rio I have seen only one old school Internet Cafe, on Agusto in SP. It seems to be for gamers though. Brazil in general is a cell phone society, so an internet cafe to surf the web does not really make sense. There are now starting to be a few working spaces spread around. But these are bring your own computer type places, Like Starbucks, just without the coffee and a lot less crowded.

I may be confusing Thailand....however in my 23 years and more than 60 times to Brasil, I recall burning up some electric clippers and razors in Brasil because I forgot it was 220. I also remember the Crowne Plaza hotel on Frei Canaca in SP, lending me a step down transformer .....

Laptops and cell phone chargers are usually dual voltage..... just make sure beforehand because Brasil uses both voltages.

On 2/23/2022 at 6:53 PM, westonweb said:

São Paulo and Rio both use 110v/115v... completely compatible with American Voltage requirements. In the kitchen areas you may find 220v outlets, they are usually marked with a red face plate to differentiate them from the 110. Most times they will be clearly labeled with 220v, especially at an AirBnB, because a few Americans did not understand what the red color meant!  The 220v outlets are always in the kitchen to accommodate certain popular counter top appliances that Brazilians like to have in their kitchens.  

This is correct. Except that in hotels there might be (usually only one) outlet with 220 v (all marked with a label or red color). 

In Northeast states the outlets are mostly 220v.