Olddaddy

Why not retire to Thailand?

16 minutes ago, Gaybutton said:

Do you realize the entire focus of your post is about the gay scene, bars, and boys?  Is that, and only that, what you will be looking for under retirement?

That's food for thought, you are entirely right, I haven't thought of it that way.

• Members
11 hours ago, fedssocr said:

My current expectation is that I will spend several months each year traveling (at least for the first few years). Rather than retiring to Thailand full time I think I would want to go for a couple of months at a time. But home base will still be where I am now.

You need somebody to take care of your home back in the U.S., and watch out for any important mails(government correspondence etc).  Many entities don't allow using mailbox as your address.  I travel overseas no longer than one month at a time.

39 minutes ago, scott456 said:

You need somebody to take care of your home back in the U.S., and watch out for any important mails(government correspondence etc).  Many entities don't allow using mailbox as your address.  I travel overseas no longer than one month at a time.

I have friends who look after my plants and take care of the mail. 

1 hour ago, scott456 said:

What about those of you with pets?

I actually met a farang 76yo  up at soi bukhao nice old man said he had 6 dogs !!!

Said he couldn't go on trips but he loved his dogs more than anything!

1 hour ago, TMax said:

For me, I retired some time ago now and the thought of moving to either Thailand or the Philippines is still very much on my mind and still relatively relative young I imagine still plenty of time to enjoy life. I too am a bit of an introvert so not having a lot of friends over there to socialize with is not a big problem, I can always find something to keep me interested as I am interested in history and other cultures so studying would keep the mind busy.

There is quite a difference between the countries I have thought about, retirement visa or other visas I see the Philippines is so much easier (SRRV visa for the Philippines) and there isn't the constant reporting or extensions of the visa. Health care is a concern and taking out private health insurance would be a must no matter which country is the choice. For Thailand I would be happy to live in Bangkok as it has everything a person could want with plenty to do, non sex scene as well as sex scene. There is good health care there with the private hospitals etc but in the place I like in the Philippines, if something goes wrong it is a very long trip from the mountain province to the quality private hospitals in Manila. Also in the mountain province there really isn't a lot to do so study wise I would have to rely on the inetrnet which isn't as good or reliable as that in Thailand.  

High on the list would also be travel around the country of choice, this would also be fairly often and another way to stay occupied. Both countries have many places that I would love to check out so overall there is plenty for me to do and see either way. Food wise I must say Thai food is the hands down winner even though I still enjoy Filipino food. My current thoughts are leaning towards Thailand but things and minds can change so if the opportunity does arise and I decide to make a move then some serious thought and planning would have to take place, in the meantime I can still dream of what it would be like.

Filipino food such as Balut?

I found Filipinos seem to love their American fast food more than anything,that's my impression anyway 

I was in the Philippines last night at the airport and saw some stunners, dark skin ,tight butt cheeks and strong build guys😘

I would like to check out farang expat  places like Dumamagette & Palawan, I wasn't keen on Manila 😞

Philippines is cheaper than Thailand in many aspects ( not for hotels in Manila though😅

I guess if I had a real lover I could live in the Philippines anywhere ,but like Gaybutton says, just don't take into account the sex .

I think close proximity to hospitals,safety ,gym , recreation facilities etc are high priority when deciding where  to retire 

1 hour ago, scott456 said:

I will now travel for less than a month too!

I just done a big trip of nearly 3 months in the Philippines & Thailand

Too long .

Balut is a very big no for me, I hate even being near people when they eat it. Palawan is a very nice place and been there several times and have intentions of going back for a holiday some time. 

3 minutes ago, TMax said:

Balut is a very big no for me, I hate even being near people when they eat it. Palawan is a very nice place and been there several times and have intentions of going back for a holiday some time. 

My impression after travelling the Philippines last few weeks is they love their fast food chains, everywhere I went in shopping malls etc they were busy lining up for Jollibees fast food & all those American chain restaurants.

If that was Thailand it would be the street food they line up for, I found that a bit of a shock compared to Thailand where they love their street food, but maybe I was just in the wrong places/areas  in the Philippines.

I guess more in the poorer type areas of Manila you would find more street food but the Shopping malls were always crowded ,I couldn't get over how crowded they were along with their fast food restaurants.

No wonder there's so many " large size" Filipino around,some looked like Hawaiian/islander look 

There are many Polynesian folks in the Philippines. A good friend of mine who came from the Philippines at a young age is a big Polynesian guy. Of course there are many people with more Spanish ancestry as well. But for sure American style fast food isn't good for anyone. The proliferation of those restaurants hasn't been good for Thailand either.

Definitely in the Philippines they love their fast food restaurants, they are literally everywhere.

6 minutes ago, kokopelli 2 said:

I know many retirees, including myself, who live in Pattaya and have no problems. No  one I know wishes to return to their home country except, maybe, in an urn.

I guess you have to have " interests' or hobbies , or you perhaps you may have a boyfriend or a lot of friends you enjoy being with ?

I'm more unfortunately introvert ,I also suffer from depression sometimes .

Perhaps if I didn't go there to retire with that mindset of looking only for sex and actually looked for other things in my lifestyle it would be ok, but I didn't those few months, I just sat all day at beer bars 

2 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

Filipino food such as Balut?

Every country has some type of dish that is objectionable to non-natives of the said country. Balut is one of such examples. Although I would never eat it myself, it does not stop me from enjoying other Filipino dishes, such as pancit bihon, lumpiang shanghai, lechon kawali, crispy pata, etc.

12 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

I guess you have to have " interests' or hobbies , or you perhaps you may have a boyfriend or a lot of friends you enjoy being with ?

I'm more unfortunately introvert ,I also suffer from depression sometimes .

Perhaps if I didn't go there to retire with that mindset of looking only for sex and actually looked for other things in my lifestyle it would be ok, but I didn't those few months, I just sat all day at beer bars 

I do have a boyfriend(s) and do go to the gym but have no interests or hobbies. I like to socialize with some friends and do enjoy the bar scene, but only at night. I have been coming here for 20 years and now made Pattaya my home. Just another old farang who enjoys sex whenever I can.

For a person who posts extensively about their inability to fuck prostitutes every night while in Pattaya, I get the impression you know very little about this area of Thailand, outside of a few sois. 

Chonburi is a fantastic area for people to retire. There are golf courses, beaches, social clubs. For younger guys there are sports teams. The variety of food options and restaurants is world-leading. It really is endless. If you go down the coast past Rayong, the snow-birds are there in their tens of thousands. It really is beautiful and they live fantastic lives. 

Us expats look at you tourists, just as you look at us expats. We all have our reasons for being here. I know many expats who frequent Jomtien Complex every week, but even those without long term boyfriends are not looking for a "short time" every night. Jomtien Complex is becoming more "gay bars" and less "boy bars" by the day. 

You can pay for a prostitute in most countries in the world. I am not sure it's a good reason to retire abroad. 

Just my 2c.

The major problem Is that Thailand changed dramatically over the last twenty years :

Retiring nowadays is more complicated the immigration rules are more restricted and changing all the time makes things more uncertain and difficult planing retirement on the long term. 

Thailand become much more expensive than it use to be and the strong Baht isn't helping either. 

Pattaya gay scenery shrinked dramatically Sunee Plaza almost don't exist anymore , most of the gay bars at Boyz Town closed so most of vibrant gay life in Pattaya used to have is gone .

In the past many Thai boys genuinely seeked for falang boyfriend now it's changed most of the boy are money boys and straight so the chances to find real Thai boyfriend are very low.