Guest RichLB

I should know the answer to this

Guest RichLB

I'm embarrassed to admit I've forgotten exactly what I have to provide to immigration to renew my one year "retirement" visa. Can anyone fill me in?

Guest GaySacGuy

Copies of every document pertaining to your life since the age of 6!!!

Let's see, I'm not sure but let's try.....passport pictures, copy of passport cover page and visa page and arrival form, copies of your bankbook, letter from your bank, proof of money (either embassy or 800,000 baht), and the Thai Immigration form which is available online if you want to fill out before you go to immigration.

I think that is it....but I'm sure there are plenty who will correct whatever I missed!

Not long ago, buckeroo2 posted:

_____

OK, I did the retirement visa renewal this morning. There is a moderator on thaivisa.com forum who corrects people when they call it a "retirement visa". He always says Thailand does not offer a retirement visa but rather an extension of your stay in the Kingdom for retirement purposes. Anyway, when I entered Pattaya Immigration and went to the machine to get a service #, number 8 is clearly marked "Retirement Visa".

As it is a Monday and supposedly a busy day at Immigration, I arrived early - at 8:10AM for an 8:30 AM opening. There were about 15 people already waiting when I arrived. I got in line and by the time they opened the doors at 8:30 AM there were approximately 50 people in line. As I said, I got a service ticket pressing #8 - marked "Retirement Visa" Even with 15 others entering before me, I was still #E002 - the second person applying for a retirement visa. I waited about 5 minutes and my # was called. I checked everything thoroughly and had copies of everything I figured they could possible ask for. But, of course, they always want something else. They told me I needed another copy of one page in my passport. It had the original Retirement visa stamp from 2007. I had already copied the page with the latest current/expiring retirement visa stamp but they still wanted a copy of the page with the 1st original retirement visa stamp. I went to the copy shop, had that made and returned to the desk to complete my application process.

They did not ask for any additional income verification other than the U.S. Embassy proof-of-income letter.

Also, I bank at Siam Trust and last week I decided to go to a different branch here in Pattaya to get the bank letter but I was told I had to get that from my original branch where the account was opened. I was trying to avoid that as I bank at Siam Trust at Tuk Com. While their hours are usually convenient as they are open 7 days a week until 8:00 PM they do not open until 10:30 AM. The bank from which I tried to get the letter opened at 8:30 AM. Anyway, I did not want to wait until 10:30 AM - wait in line for a service agent to draft the letter and then head off to Immigration. I figured by that time Immigration would be closing for lunch and I would have to be there all afternoon. So I took a chance and got my bank letter on Sunday - the day before I applied for my retirement visa. I figured the most Immigration could do was tell me they would not accept it and then I would just go back to my bank and get another letter and return the same day. Anyway, no one questioned the date on my bank letter - it was just one day earlier than the application.

While I was there, a farang came over to the Immigration officer who was waiting on me - they exchanged pleasantries as if they knew each other. They shook hands and the farang placed 1,000 baht in the palm of the hand of the immigration officer who in turn put the money in a cup on his desk - and not in the same box where he put my 1,900 baht fee. This farang handed the officer some sort of form and the officer stamped it, the farang thanked him and out the door he went.

After I finished this first process I was directed to another lady officer who had me sign all of the copies I presented and told me that I can pick up my passport tomorrow after 2 PM. I looked at my watch as I was leaving and it was 8:55 AM - so the entire process took 25 minutes once the doors opened.

But to the question at hand, I repeat - no one asked me for any income verification other than the proof-of-income letter I presented from the U.S. Embassy. And yes, I dressed properly this time - dress shirt, khaki slacks, and loafers.

GB, just one question. You mentioned the embassy letter (which would deal with your income verification) but you also mentioned your "bank letter." Are you using a combination of income and bank money on hand or did you just cover both bases to make sure there wasn't a problem?

Guest lvdkeyes
GB, just one question. You mentioned the embassy letter (which would deal with your income verification) but you also mentioned your "bank letter." Are you using a combination of income and bank money on hand or did you just cover both bases to make sure there wasn't a problem?

Whether you use proof of money in a Thai bank, embassy letter or combination of the two, you still need to provide a letter from the bank even if your bank balance is "O".

Whether you use proof of money in a Thai bank, embassy letter or combination of the two, you still need to provide a letter from the bank even if your bank balance is "O".

That's absolutely right. No matter what you do, you still have to have the letter from the bank.