reader

A beginner’s guide to Filipino superstitions

From  Philippine Daily Inquirer / The Nation

Some of the most basic superstitions include not going home straight away and covering all the mirrors in the place the wake is being held

Filipino superstitions can be a big deal. No matter what belief system people adhere to and where they live, Filipinos can be an awfully superstitious bunch. All sorts of beliefs and practices have been passed down since time immemorial. Some of them are still practised widely today - and some of us may not even know their superstitions to begin with.

There are all sorts of superstitions people practice in daily life, but the more important superstitions (that can be a big deal for the older generation) usually pertain to big life events. Births, weddings, birthdays, and certain holidays have important practices tied to them—and those practices don’t just stop when someone’s passed.

Superstitions surrounding death are especially interesting and commonly practised by Filipinos around the world. Even during pre-Hispanic times, our ancestors have already cultivated their own set of beliefs. Those beliefs have ended up blending into the Christian narrative the Spaniards introduced, which makes for some pretty interesting superstitions.

Here are some of a few interesting Filipino superstitions surrounding death that are still practised today.

Continues at

https://www.nationthailand.com/world/asean/40030183

Cultural differences abound, worldwide.  I lived in a building the residents of which were predominantly Jewish - many Orthodox.  The families sit shiva at home (no body present).  Orthodox cover all mirrors.  Additionally, Ultra Orthodox remove all cushions from furniture.  At graveside, each mourner uses a shovel to toss dirt onto the casket, 3 times.  Irish would have the body in the home and waited a day or two before burial, because maybe the man was just drunk and passed out. Etc.

1 hour ago, Mavica said:

Irish would have the body in the home and waited a day or two before burial, because maybe the man was just drunk and passed out. Etc.

My mother died when I was seven and we waked the body in the livingroom next to my bedroom.

I assure you that she wasn't drunk.

On 8/13/2023 at 3:45 PM, Mavica said:

Irish would have the body in the home and waited a day or two before burial, because maybe the man was just drunk and passed out. Etc.

A lazy insult and slur on all Irish people there of course as the wake ( as the name implies) is a centuries old traditional, designed to allow sufficient time for the family to ensure that deceased was actually dead, this being before the presence of medical professionals of course mainly - and a wake is and was applied to all people that died here, young and old, male and female alike, with all of those people dying of course from many various ailments that can kill people. So it certainly wasn't and isn't just to ensure 'the man wasn't just drunk" as you suggested.   

9 hours ago, Playful75 said:

hello

I will go to Ph for a month. I would like to know what is the best app for metting gay boy ?

i will go to some islands, cebu and Manila 

When I was there it was Grindr , that was the best for me 

A lot of free guys there as well as money boys , 1000 pesos around 800 Thai baht was accepted