Guest namjai

Smoking

There is no real reason for me to write this and post it...I guess I just want to and so I will. It has nothing to do with Thailand...only has to do with me. And perhaps inspire a bit of encouragement to other "hardcore smokers" For me, although it has been only two days, cold turkey is the way.

I started smoking in 1960...a rough tough 14 year old street punk in New York City.

In those days we would roll up our blue jeans (think we called them dungarees) above our ankles, turn our "t"-shirts inside out and stick the pack of cigarettes in one of our shoulders held only in place by turning the cotton sleeve just so.

During the evening, when my parents were home, I would hide the smokes over the inside door of the the entryway to the slum housing where I grew up.

When we could not steal enough money to buy a pack, my cousin and I would climb over the turnstile's of the BMT, IRT, or whatever subway we wanted to use and go to either Coney Island or Manhattan. Once there, we would always create a diversion at a small mom and pop store and when one of us was being yelled at or consoled, the other would be around the counter, taking a pack of cigarettes. Then run like hell and meet a few blocks away.

Four years later during the Vietnam War, I was introduced to K-rations...leftover rations from WW2 in which I was given free packs of Lucky Strikes. These packs were so old that they were green...during the war the USA needed so much green pigment that Lucky Strikes turned to a red pack.

After the war I had to opportunity to work in a hospital pathology lab where one of my duties was to remove lungs from deceased patients and dry them with saline solution. When fully dried, we would slice the tissue like a loaf of bread and see the holes where emphysema would be present.

I saw my father dying of lung cancer and emphysema. Even then I was too stupid to quit smoking.

Two days ago I decided to quit. The first day was a pain in the ass because I kept wanting one...today...I am rarely thinking of a cigarette. I beat the b****! :p

Two days ago I decided to quit. The first day was a pain in the ass because I kept wanting one...today...I am rarely thinking of a cigarette. I beat the b****! :p

Congratulation :) keep up the good work. You will be better off without smoking :)

Let me add my note of congratulations. We all have our addictions and our path to leave them behind in our life is not easy. I love coke. No, not the illegal kind but the one with caffein. It is no where near as difficult to give up as cigs.

I wish you the best on your journey. I hope that you are able to stick to the path. Good luck!

Guest PapaDavid

:D Thanks Guys for the encouragement! Five days now!!

5 days !!! - you are over the worst of it. The withdrawal symptoms will not be nearly so severe. All it will take now is will-power and resolve to continue - think of all the money you are saving and can now spend on your favorite boy(s).

A tip - if you feel like having a drag just go find a dirty ashtray with butts in somewhere and have a sniff - it will certainly turn off your urge to smoke again - worked for me (over 2 years ago).

Good luck

I love coke. No, not the illegal kind but the one with caffein. It is no where near as difficult to give up as cigs.

Well, with you dear ,it would be twice as hard as Cigs :ninja:

be careful of the coke...actually all CO2 induced carbination drinks. according to my urologist that is what causes kidney stones...which may want you to go to the other coke! :excl:

be careful of the coke...actually all CO2 induced carbination drinks. according to my urologist that is what causes kidney stones...which may want you to go to the other coke! :excl:

LMAO lol