PeterRS

Gay Thai Chat Rooms and Asian Travel Web Sites

I'm sure there are sites in most countries. I know of ones in Taipei, Hong Kong and Singapore. The difference seems to be that the average ages of correspondents seems to be much younger than those in Thailand. No doubt a result of there being more retirees and expats here.

I guess the simple explanation is dramatic decline of Western gays coming to Thailand for sex cruise is the main explanation to the fading gay sites focusing in Thailand alongside the declining of gay zones and venues. There are many reasons for that the main ones I can think of :

The Western world became much more gay friendly no need to travel to the other side of the world to fulfill your gay desires. 

Thailand become much more expensive,  it's not so attractive as it used to be, other parts in the world are competitive like South America. 

Thai immigration policy become much more restricted that makes frequent or longer traveling  and living Thailand as expats more difficult. 

The younger gay generation is different they tend to behave like regular tourists, they don't limiting themselves to gay exclusive zones,venues and hotels and using apps if they are seeking for casual sex .

1 hour ago, Boy69 said:

Thailand become much more expensive,  it's not so attractive as it used to be, other parts in the world are competitive like South America

Agree that it’s become more expensive to get here but so has every place else. As for being attractive, I don’t think there’s a place in Europe or North America to equal it in available guys or safety.

1 hour ago, Boy69 said:

The Western world became much more gay friendly no need to travel to the other side of the world to fulfill your gay desires. 

It may have become more legally friendly and accepting, but as far as bars and other gay venues it has faded significantly. Those experiences can still be had in Thailand.

I only ever bother coming here anymore. And I think I had accounts on most of the ones listed.

My guess is that people don't read. And they don't necessarily feel like communicating via this medium. Given how many Youtube channels are devoted to travel if you are just looking for general travel info there are plenty of places to get that info. And probably other media like Instagram or Tiktok get lots of views.

The nomadicboys can only cover so much on their own since they can only visit so many hotels I wouldn't expect them to have comprehensive lists or complete venue information.

I know most people don't like travelgay.com but I've found it useful from time to time. Keeping venue listings up to date would be a big job probably without much reward. Which is part of why I really appreciate this place and the frequent posters who share information with all of us.

18 hours ago, Boy69 said:

it's not so attractive as it used to be, other parts in the world are competitive like South America.

The more I read about gay life and gay tourism in some parts of South America (and I have become enamoured with some like Colombia), the more I wish I had visited more often. Being based in Asia, it always seemed too far away. It would not have been expensive, though, with the amount of air miles I always had. 

As PeterRS mentioned above, many non-registered readers are checking the three Thai gay websites. Their numbers  propel the actual readership well beyond the “signed in”. These visitors are primarily interested in scanning for information and have no desire to contribute. Consequently, the sites are more influential than the sum of their members represent. 

Having just returned home from a few months in Pattaya, and yes it was a great visit!, I had kept asking myself "where are the young (gay) people?" Every time I visit Thailand, the crowd at (gay) spas, bars, beaches, hotels... seems to get older and older.

As for (gay) information, I remember the nostalgic days when I would rush to the bookstore to buy the just-released, shiny new edition of "Spartacus", or perhaps the Damon Guide -- the two most authoritative listings of gay venues and business. The book series "Men of Thailand" had the most curated and accurate information about the gay scene in Thailand. Of course those books ceased publication with the advent of the Internet era -- with utopia-asia and Dreaded Ned and... becoming the reference reading rooms of choice.

The point is that those media helped direct us to gay ghettos and places to meet gay friends and places for a little "hedonistic fun" as well, where we could feel comfortable and (mostly) at ease.

And as for these boards, I too have noticed the dramatic decline in new posts on sawatdee (and some other boards) and do wonder whether, when those of us of a certain age stop posting, there will be interest in continuing the boards -- thanks to the moderators for amazing work!

5 hours ago, PeterRS said:

The more I read about gay life and gay tourism in some parts of South America (and I have become enamoured with some like Colombia), the more I wish I had visited more often. Being based in Asia, it always seemed too far away. It would not have been expensive, though, with the amount of air miles I always had. 

I must say that in my recent visit to Taiwan I really enjoyed the safe environment (daily- and nightlife, grindr dates, walk whereever you want, etc.). Being in Colombia is more like a tactical operative mission, which eventually got on my nerves. Taiwan is not particularly drinking, partying and drugs country, which I found refreshing and better for sex (i am not a fan of alcohol and nightclubs). From Europe, both places are the same flight time, so its „meat or fish“ choice, depends on the mood and style I want.

• Members
1 hour ago, Tomtravel said:

I must say that in my recent visit to Taiwan I really enjoyed the safe environment (daily- and nightlife, grindr dates, walk whereever you want, etc.). Being in Colombia is more like a tactical operative mission, which eventually got on my nerves. Taiwan is not particularly drinking, partying and drugs country, which I found refreshing and better for sex (i am not a fan of alcohol and nightclubs). From Europe, both places are the same flight time, so its „meat or fish“ choice, depends on the mood and style I want.

I am afraid that nightlife is quite lacking in Taiwan, and is quite comparable to Singapore where everybody works hard during the day and just go home and sleep in the evenings. Those few drinking bars in "red-brick" "rainbow" commercial area are tiny, pathetic serving a city population of more than 6 millions people (Taipei +New Taipei city).  Yes, it's safe,.... but sad.  Oh, did I mention you need to be a top because 90% of the gays in Taiwan are bottoms and eager to be fucked by whoever and whatever.  Perhaps this is exactly why you love it there.

• Members
2 hours ago, PeterRS said:

I'm delighted you enjoyed Taiwan. But just for the record, for those who like to drink and party, there is a lot going on. 

Do tell.  You mentioned a club (Candy?) in another thread, and I replied to that post with a YouTube link to show exactly how bad it is.

1 hour ago, scott456 said:

Do tell.  You mentioned a club (Candy?) in another thread, and I replied to that post with a YouTube link to show exactly how bad it is.

You have definitely got me confused with another poster. Unlike some of my friends, I am not a regular club goer in Taipei and certainly would never have mentioned Candy. I don't even know what it is! I have mentioned the small Commander D which I have been to and is quite close to The Red House. G*Star is much bigger and probably the most famous. I hear that Abrazo, Bacio, Werk and Bush at B1 are among others worth considering. @hojacat wrote a post about Hunt being virtually a club but it seems to have a different dress theme each night. You can find the post earler in this forum.

Best is to chat with some of the guys who go to the various Red House cafes for drinks or dinner. With the rainy season almost over, it will be packed at week-end nights and pretty busy the rest of the week. I go regularly for drinks to Sol Bar and the waiters there speak good English. They will know the latest 'in' places.

Since it seems you don't like Taipei/Taiwan why bother going? Others really like it. Some love it.

8 hours ago, Tomtravel said:

Being in Colombia is more like a tactical operative mission, which eventually got on my nerves.

No doubt Thailand hook up is easier than Colombia but it's easy to find boys in the gay bars and nightclubs, In Bogota I saw plenty of familiar faces from Chaturbate in the weekends at gay clubs there it was very interesting to see the star models face to face 😉

• Members
7 hours ago, PeterRS said:

You have definitely got me confused with another poster. Unlike some of my friends, I am not a regular club goer in Taipei and certainly would never have mentioned Candy. I don't even know what it is! I have mentioned the small Commander D which I have been to and is quite close to The Red House. G*Star is much bigger and probably the most famous. I hear that Abrazo, Bacio, Werk and Bush at B1 are among others worth considering. @hojacat wrote a post about Hunt being virtually a club but it seems to have a different dress theme each night. You can find the post earler in this forum.

Best is to chat with some of the guys who go to the various Red House cafes for drinks or dinner. With the rainy season almost over, it will be packed at week-end nights and pretty busy the rest of the week. I go regularly for drinks to Sol Bar and the waiters there speak good English. They will know the latest 'in' places.

Since it seems you don't like Taipei/Taiwan why bother going? Others really like it. Some love it.

I repeat, the bars in Taipei are unbelievably small, most of them are in basement unusable for any other commercial purpose.  Comander D is in basement,  D1 is in basement, Hunt is less than half the size of a 7-11 store.  These are all drinking bar with bad sound system and bad music, they don't want people to dance, they don't want people to enjoy the music, they just want people to buy drinks.  G* is mostly for the girly bottom boys.  Again, with the population count and the average personal income level there, I can't believe this is all Taiwan has to offer.  It must be a cultural thing, in the same category as Singapore. But I am glad you are treated well being a rare and desirable "top" guy there.  I have visited Taiwan a couple times and I gave you my opinion here being a contributing member on this board, that's all.  

BTW, Bogota has the famous Teatron club complex of bars and shops, Teatro itself is a huge former theater with multiple dance rooms.  Berlin has many dance clubs that are huge warehouse size and are packed with people. 

11 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

Forum sites depend on the wisdom/intelligence of the masses. It has its pros and cons, as no doubt we all see all too often on this very site (e.g. recent bust-up about antisemitism). 

I would have been disappointed if antisemitism was given a pass and there was no “bust-up.” Or if discrimination based on nationality was ignored.

What the numbers actually demonstrate is that some controversial topics draw a strong following, resulting in viewing numbers rivaling the traditional leaders: trip and venue reports.