reader

Thai Tourism Authorities Propose to Unlock 60-Day Visa Exemption for European Tourists

From Pattaya News

European travelers could potentially soon enjoy 60 days of exploration in Thailand without visa requirements, as reported by the Thai Tourism and Sports Ministry.
Minister Sudawan Wangsuphakijkosol stated on Monday, November 13th, that the tourism ministry is contemplating proposing to the Thai Cabinet to extend the visa exemption period for visitors from 50 European countries from 30 days to 60 days.

• Members

It seems like a no-brainer to me. It only makes sense to encourage longer vacations in the country, without requiring visa runs to Cambodia or Laos. The weather can be quite unpleasant in many European countries in their winter, and if a tourist wants to spend several weeks of his foreign cash in Thailand, that's a bonus for the Thai economy. If there's a down-side, I don't see it. I just looked it up upon reading the above post, and it looks as though Americans and Canadians are only allowed visa-free for 30-days as well. I don't see the wisdom in limiting tourism from wealthier nations. Canadians especially might like to escape their cruel winters...