EX Navy Dad

Thailand will be my home in late 2024

Retired in Thailand or Tourist/Native  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you live in Thailand [retired there or local native]

• Yes I live in Thailand
    • No I don't live in Thailand
    • I may live in Thailand one day

Out of curiosity I wonder how many members of the forum might be retired in Thailand as I hope to do next year.

I would imagine not many as I've found retired folk tend to haunt the FB forums more... 

I am heading for Songkhla to live, I want to be close to the Malay border and Hat Yai as I have extended family in Penang and friends in Hat Yai.

I will make the trip up north for Bangkok and the tourist traps and find me a boy bar in Pattaya for a gin and tonic or four but it doesn't appeal to me to live up there.

If any forum members reside down south where I am hoping to be, please do strike up a conversation with me, I am up for some friends.

I am planning on being there late 2024, November probably. Leaving the UK late August '24 and doing a couple of months in Penang first. 

I live part-time in Thailand as I am semi retired as my former employer keeps calling back to Europe for some short work assignments (3 to 4 months at a time).

I will be going to visit the Songkhla area at the end of this year - with an eye open to see if I would want to relocate from Pattaya and live there next September 2024.

So, it would be nice to know that someone from this forum would also be down there - even though I would arrive 2 months prior to you to "set up camp..."

19 minutes ago, bkkmfj2648 said:

So, it would be nice to know that someone from this forum would also be down there - even though I would arrive 2 months prior to you to "set up camp..."

Thanks for taking the time to write. 

Who knows, this time next year we might both be there.  That would be something.

I have to remember I am retiring, not back packing, not a tourist, so I want to be somewhere a little off the tourist trail for a quiter life.

Apparently there is one gay bar in Hat Yai but very little in Songklha from my google searches.  

I think for any boy entertainment I will be relying on the likes of grindr or other apps. 

Songkhla, like many other provinces in thailand, is a province, also a city and the capital for Songkhla province. Hat Yai is a city within Songkhla province.

Hat Yai is the biggest city in Songkhla, and a major tourist city for Malaysians, as it is reachable from land border as well, via fast train on malaysian side. Most of the locals are muslim/malay and shares similar cultures and food, and their foods and hotels are cheaper than malaysia, making it very attractive for a visit. 

Regarding nightlife, being a muslim majortiy area, i can say its much similar with how it is in Malaysia, its there, but everything is not as obvious. Straight establishment maybe easier to find on google, but gays establishment are almost none, unless u consult a local, and they will tell u where. There is one sauna locals and tourists goes to as well, and severals mixed massage places where the male masseurs might be open for more, although finding one might be hit or miss. 

If you ask me, food is the main drive for most malaysian to go there lol. Halal food are pretty much everywhere, and its as good if not better selection than bangkok especially for Malaysian.

Grindr might offer something for you. I know several guys who freelance or work in KL/JB in Malaysia who will go to Hat Yai for visa run, so U might be able to catch them there as well. If you have relatives or BF in northern state of Malaysia, it makes perfect sense to consider Songkhla city or Hat Yai as your retirement city. 

Just did a google search, and i can find the sauna fb page. On massage, apparently one str8 website did mention that the gay centric massage can be found near this sauna too. 

Another interesting update, the same website mentioned that most of the nightlife scene (str8) has moved to dannok, border city with malaysia. I wonder if the gay ones make the same moves or not.

1 hour ago, spoon said:

Just did a google search, and i can find the sauna fb page. On massage, apparently one str8 website did mention that the gay centric massage can be found near this sauna too. 

Another interesting update, the same website mentioned that most of the nightlife scene (str8) has moved to dannok, border city with malaysia. I wonder if the gay ones make the same moves or not.

Hi. I just spent an enforced day in KL, due to missed connection. I was put up at airport hotel, very nice. I had several offers of sex via Grindr, but decided it was too risky. Do you think I was right?

1 hour ago, Keithambrose said:

Hi. I just spent an enforced day in KL, due to missed connection. I was put up at airport hotel, very nice. I had several offers of sex via Grindr, but decided it was too risky. Do you think I was right?

There have been cases of catfish and scams via grindr. I use it only to contact those MBs i already knows and those who have been reviewed by others. And they usually congregrates at known places that have high concentration of MBs. 

Generally though, it is safe, but wont hurt to take precautions such as video calls, meet at public places etc prior to meeting at your hotel. I guess this applies to any grindr encounter anywhere else as well. Avoid those who asked for deposit or money upfront, almost always its a scam.

23 minutes ago, vinapu said:

...........which that idiot Vinapu learned hard way in Phnon Penh last Januray you wanted to add no doubt

I recalled for your case, you already met with the guy and he is real as it gets. While its usually scam, i actually had one time where i send money to a guy who said he is coming to KL, and he did. Granted, Ive seen him few times before, and he only wanted the cash so that when at the immigration, if asked, he can show that he does have money. But he couldve just choose to keep the money, so im glad he did keep his end.

1 hour ago, spoon said:

There have been cases of catfish and scams via grindr. I use it only to contact those MBs i already knows and those who have been reviewed by others. And they usually congregrates at known places that have high concentration of MBs. 

Generally though, it is safe, but wont hurt to take precautions such as video calls, meet at public places etc prior to meeting at your hotel. I guess this applies to any grindr encounter anywhere else as well. Avoid those who asked for deposit or money upfront, almost always its a scam.

Thanks a lot. I was more worried about undercover policeman, etc. neither guy that contacted me wanted money! 

23 minutes ago, Keithambrose said:

Thanks a lot. I was more worried about undercover policeman, etc. neither guy that contacted me wanted money! 

Undercover police wont care if u want to have sex with a guy. Not with foreign tourists. Ive heard no case of this ever happen here.

The few cases that has been documented was the case of muslim having intercourse in public places, or in hotels, massage places, clubs, sauna, etc, based on reports by locals. Even then, non muslims were being released without charges, unless drugs involved. Most of the raids are either immigration related or operating without licenses for the premises.

Despite still having the draconian laws on homosexual, its rarely enforced, with the exception in 1998 as a political weapon. That person is our current Prime Minister. 

But i get your worries. Even grindr here will gives a warning from time to time. 

4 hours ago, Boy69 said:

Yes I remember I warned you to be careful but I assume everyone entitled to learn their lesson by themselves. 

You did and many others but I decided to go my way and life proved me to be wrong and you guys right.

But nothing is so simple. I don't have any regrets and in right circumstances I even would be willing to meet with guy in question again. But lessons of not forwarding any money,  and I mean any,   up front learned. Still smile at recollection of how excited I was hoping for the best. 

APPOLOGIES FOR CONTRIBUTING TO DERAILING THIS TOPIC but unfortunately that's the nature of the beast called forum. We start topic about retirement and land at discussing price of diapers.

On 11/16/2023 at 5:25 PM, EX Navy Dad said:

I am heading for Songkhla to live, I want to be close to the Malay border and Hat Yai as I have extended family in Penang and friends in Hat Yai.

Have you been to any of these places before? You state that you have decided to live in Songkhla but don't mention whether you have ever been there before. You want to be near friends in Hatyai and Penang, but don't want to live in either of these places, so I wonder why? Don't get me wrong Songklha is a pleasant enough place(although I haven't been there for seven or eight years) but it seems a bit dramatic to say that you are going to live in a place of which you appear to have little knowledge.

Regarding meeting local guys for sex it's Thailand so there are bound to be opportunities, even if in the absence of gay bars/gay massage venues. Actually I wouldn't be put off living in Penang either. Georgetown is great, I had an ex from there, and there are venues that advertise as gay friendly. Historically it's the most liberal part of Malaysia(it helps being an island) and hasn't been too impacted by whatever the latest edict is from KL. Friends have reported great cruising on the beaches with westerners being much sought after.

9 hours ago, spoon said:

Undercover police wont care if u want to have sex with a guy. Not with foreign tourists. Ive heard no case of this ever happen here.

The few cases that has been documented was the case of muslim having intercourse in public places, or in hotels, massage places, clubs, sauna, etc, based on reports by locals. Even then, non muslims were being released without charges, unless drugs involved. Most of the raids are either immigration related or operating without licenses for the premises.

Despite still having the draconian laws on homosexual, its rarely enforced, with the exception in 1998 as a political weapon. That person is our current Prime Minister. 

But i get your worries. Even grindr here will gives a warning from time to time. 

Thanks again.  I should have said yes!

20 hours ago, khaolakguy said:

Have you been to any of these places before?  No, But I know I don't want to live up north in Bangkok/pattaya/phucket

You want to be near friends in Hatyai and Penang, but don't want to live in either of these places, so I wonder why?

I want to be within walking distance (15/25 min) of a beach front for daily strolls and a paddle

Extended family in Hat Yai are Thai property agents, they will help me locate a place to live, I don't need to live near them.

I am unable to retire to Malaysia as the MM2H is way out of my budget otherwise I would settle in Penang.

I would like to live somewhere within the circle

Untitled.jpg

I strongly recommend you not to rush and buy any property at the beginning many expacts did and regretted there are plenty of properties for rent everywhere and rates are very reasonable , You can rent at the area you want and check if you like it and only after you are confident in your decision to settle there start looking for buying. In general I don't recommend to buy any property in Thailand because there is lot of renting options including long term ones  and the rent is relatively cheap which makes buying not necessarily worthy moreover it's very difficult to sell if you regret later you can lose substantial amount, Also there is lot of legal restrictions of buying properties for foreigners.

I won't be replying to any further comments on this thread.

It is a shame forum discipline doesn't work in this forum and threads go off topic.

I have not asked for advice on buying houses

I have never mentioned I am buying a house

I don't need to be told where to live or what I should be doing.

I started this thread to find out if anyone else might find themselves in the same region as me next year.

One person has been in touch and for that, thank you.

As for the rest of you going on about undercover police and things not related to my original post.......

Forget it, I am done with this thread. 

Don't be so pissy?

What an dick..
fear not my account will be deleted when the admin get round to it, admin is very lazy so it may take a while. 

I don't eat cornflakes. 

This is not how forums work. This is how this forum works, in which case, I can happily live without it.