Guest frodo

Jomtien Immigration dress code

Guest frodo

Yesterday I visited Jomtien Immigration at 1330 for my 90 day reporting. The place was a zoo. There were 20 people ahead of me but I only waited 30 minutes. While I was waiting, I looked around at how people were dressed. I would estimate 70% were dressed inappropriately and thus showing disrespect. There was one person with unruly greasy hair, unshaven, tank top, beach shorts and flip flops - unbelievable. However, because I was dressed properly, I was processed in 30 seconds with a big smile and courtesy. I wonder what the Immigration officials think of these people.

I wonder what the Immigration officials think of these people.

Not very much, and sometimes they will refuse to provide service to people who come in dressed like slobs. Immigration is an official government agency, one that is vital to farang. People would be well advised to dress appropriately when going there. It is appreciated and would certainly cast farang in a better light.

Guest Astrrro

I agree with GB.

Khakis and a either a polo shirt or one that gaybuttons down the front. :D

Shoes if you have a pair, if not then sneakers.

Shave or trim your beard if u have one.

If you're going in the late afternoons, stop in Sally Bar where there's a free pool table, cheap drinks, and some hot ladyboys.

Guest Patexpat

Yes, how you dress and how you are perceived is all important, and anyone doing business with government agencies should know that, and it does pay dividends. Once when I needed a letter to get a driving licence I forgot to take proof of my company address. 'Oh that's OK, we know you!" and I got the letter AND the fee waived! Similarly when they brought in the regulations about proving where you lived for 90 day reporting I didn't have a problem when I forgot to bring the correct paper trail with me, whilst I noticed others did, and finally I usually get a friendly smile ..... so yes folks treat not just the immigration office but all Thai government departments with respect.

Yes, how you dress and how you are perceived is all important, and anyone doing business with government agencies should know that, and it does pay dividends. Once when I needed a letter to get a driving licence I forgot to take proof of my company address. 'Oh that's OK, we know you!" and I got the letter AND the fee waived! Similarly when they brought in the regulations about proving where you lived for 90 day reporting I didn't have a problem when I forgot to bring the correct paper trail with me, whilst I noticed others did, and finally I usually get a friendly smile ..... so yes folks treat not just the immigration office but all Thai government departments with respect.

This is advice from Pattaya City Expats Club:

When Visiting Thai Immigration - Remember to dress properly, thereby showing respect for the official nature of their duties. As it is with many countries, the decision to grant an extension of stay in Thailand is up to the Immigration Officer you are dealing with. So, don't get upset, be calm, and wear a smile - the process at Pattaya Immigration Office is usually smooth, but occasionally may require some patience on your part. The documents required by Immigration seem to vary from individual to individual, so please expect surprises, keep your smile going, hold your temper (if necessary) and you will usually get through without any trouble.

Guest fountainhall
The documents required by Immigration seem to vary from individual to individual, so please expect surprises, keep your smile going, hold your temper (if necessary) and you will usually get through without any trouble

This advice holds good for many similar circumstances when meeting people in a position to help you. Check-in staff at airline counters immediately come to mind. If you shout and scream, you are going to end up with the worst seat on the plane.

Guest GaySacGuy
If you shout and scream, you are going to end up with the worst seat on the plane.

How about ending up with a single bed in a CELL!! I wouldn't want to make any scene in a US Airport for sure!!