PattayaMale

Pattaya By Pass

For those that use the Pattaya by pass when coming or going to the airport, should know that they are making some changes to the flow of traffic.

The by pass which consists of a 2 lane road on each side of the train tracks currently has traffic going both directions on each side. Beginning June 8 (I think the sign said) it will become one way on each side. The east side will travel south, and the west side will travel north.

They are re painting signs and arrows on the road as well as warning signs, but now it is confusing since some places signs all ready say one way. It might have been a good idea to cover the signs up until the 8th to avoid some confusion.......but it is not that way.

Be careful since no one pays any attention to the 4 way stop signs.

For those that use the Pattaya by pass when coming or going to the airport, should know that they are making some changes to the flow of traffic.

Living out here on "The Dark Side," I'm all too familiar with that bypass. So far all it's done is cause traffic problems. It was supposedly going to relieve the traffic congestion on Sukhumvit. I don't see any less traffic on Sukhumvit than before.

The problem is not the north-south traffic flow. The problem is the intersections. That's where things get jammed up when people are trying to turn. Of course, Thai drivers simply come out into the path of oncoming cars, block the lane, and then make their turn when they get a traffic break.

There are flashing traffic signals at the moment. I hope they convert those to standard traffic signals. That may solve some of the problems.

This morning I was out and about shortly after 6:00am. Today is the 15th, the day the one-way parallel roads begin. The traffic signals were now working. Of course, the red light lasts much too long in one direction and not long enough in the other, so even at that hour there were small delays. My favorite part was at the intersection at which you can now only turn left. That intersection has a right turn arrow traffic signal!

By the time I was returning, at about 8:30am, the traffic signals were on flash again and the traffic cops were out there directing traffic. The traffic heading toward Sukhumvit was backed up by at least a quarter mile.

Welcome to Thailand . . .

The following appears in the PATTAYA DAILY NEWS:

for photos, see: http://www.pattayadailynews.com/shownews.p...NEWS=0000009495

_____

PATTAYA RAILWAY ROAD PROJECT DECLARED OFFICIALLY OPEN

The new Railway Road Project was officially declared open by Pattaya City Mayor, on 15 June, 2009. The road is designed to ease congestion in the city. However, residents have expressed concern at potential confusion and delays due to the fact that the road will be one-way.

On 15 June, in Soi Siam Country Club, in the vicinity of Pattaya Railway Station, Mr. Ittipol Kunpluem, Pattaya City Mayor, held the official opening ceremony of the new Railway Road, which will run alongside the railway for 16.5 km, starting in the east, next to the Nongprue Municipality, and ending in the west by the Pattaya City border. Initially, the road will be one-way.

Mr. Ronnakit Eakasing, Deputy Mayor of Pattaya City, said, to start with, drivers may become confused as to which was the correct direction; however, the city has provided police officers and volunteers at 15 spots along the way to help give guidance and point road users in the right direction. Clear road signs have also been erected along the road and its intersections.

Mr. Ittipol Kunpluem said the Railway Road Project had been supported by a budget of Bt313 million, with the purpose of reducing traffic problems in Pattaya. He asked for co-operation from road users to respect the rules of the road by only using it as a one-way road, even though it might cause problems, initially, during the morning and evening rush hours.

Police Colonel Somnuek Junket, Banglamung Police Superintendent, assured road users that, initially, the traffic police will be lenient with errant road users who make mistakes due to the confusion of the road system. However, the Colonel stressed that this period of leniency will only be temporary and from July, road traffic regulations concerning one-way driving will be enforced.

The residents of both Soi Nernplubwan and those along the railway road, however, are none too pleased with the arrangements, complaining that the one-way system makes the traffic worse. In addition, they complain, the traffic lights are not working properly and sometimes cars have to wait for a great deal of time for the lights to change, even when the road is empty. They are particularly incensed if this hold up should happen during peak times of 7.00 am, and 5.00 pm. Officials, however, were quick to reassure the concerned residents that, before too long, everything will flow smoothly and what they were experiencing were only teething pains.

Guest laurence
The following appears in the PATTAYA DAILY NEWS:

for photos, see: http://www.pattayadailynews.com/shownews.p...NEWS=0000009495

_____

PATTAYA RAILWAY ROAD PROJECT DECLARED OFFICIALLY OPEN

Clear road signs have also been erected along the road and its intersections.

, road traffic regulations concerning one-way driving will be enforced.

, everything will flow smoothly and what they were experiencing were only teething pains.

Are these quotes from Alice in Wonderland?

Are these quotes from Alice in Wonderland?

They might as well be. I have to deal with this mess now. The part I like best is that this project was implemented to relieve the traffic problems on Sukhumvit. I haven't noticed any less traffic on Sukhumvit and I didn't think Sukhumvit traffic was much of a problem in the first place. But as a result of this fiasco, instead of using this bypass, now people are heading to Sukhumvit to avoid the bypass! Just getting to the bypass is a major problem. By the time you can get there from any Sukhumvit intersections that lead to it, you could easily have traversed the entire length of Pattaya on Sukhumvit.

Great! In their eagerness to relieve traffic problems, now they have created two traffic problems and relieved nothing. I can't even imagine what the traffic nightmare will be like if there is an accident.

It used to take me less than 5 minutes to get from my home to Sukhumvit. Now it often takes 20 minutes, or sometimes even longer.

All of this was unnecessary. There were no particular traffic problems that even needed relief. I suppose the next step will be to build a bypass for the bypass.