Guest lvdkeyes

Thaksin hospitalized??????

Guest lvdkeyes

My bf said there was sketchy and conflicting information that Thaksin was in ICU in either Montenegro or Dubai. He couldn't make out what was true and what wasn't. Has anyone heard anything about it?

Hell, he looked perfectly fine in some news coverage just a couple of days ago!

And about a week ago he actually had to make a statement before the cameras to deny he wasn't dead! (there were rumors of his death floating in Thailand)

Guest GaySacGuy

This is from ThaiVisa and the Nation this am (Saturday morning in Thailand)

DEATH OR ALIVE?

Thaksin, family dispel rumours of death, coma

By The Nation

gallery_327_1086_19345.jpg

According to a Twitter message posted yesterday, former premier Thaksin Shinawatra said he was currently in Uganda inspecting a business project.

This message was seen as an attempt to dispel rumours about him being in coma and dying.

Thaksin said he had flown from Moscow on Thursday night and was constantly in touch with the red-shirt movement.

"I just travelled from Moscow to Uganda, but regardless of where I am, I always check on the activities of the red shirts.

At this moment, I'm listening to a Mor Lam song being sung by Tungtang Burapa," he said, in reference to the singer's performance at the rally stage in Rajprasong yesterday afternoon.

He said he appreciated Tungtang for her performance and commended her for donating funds to the movement. He also urged the protesters to continue fighting for democracy and justice.

"I admire all of you for your bravery," he said, adding that injured red shirts vowing to return to the protest after recuperating was praiseworthy.

Rumours about Thaksin's death coincided with his family's visit to Hong Kong on Thursday. His cousin and former Army chief General Chaisit Shinawatra also travelled to Macau, prompting speculation about funeral arrangements.

Thaksin's ex-wife Khunying Pojaman na Pombejra and their three children, Panthongtae, Pinthongta and Paethongtarn, had flown to their Hong Kong home on Thursday.

Later, Thaksin and his children posted Twitter messages confirming that he was in good health.

Panthongtae tweeted: "My dad is fine, not even a cold", while Pinthongta and Paethongtarn said: "Stop stupid rumours, my dad is totally healthy! It is only their game, people!"

Chaisit, meanwhile, said he was vacationing in Macau and was unaware about Thaksin's family travelling to Hong Kong.

According to the departure cards of Thaksin's family, they are scheduled to return to Bangkok on Monday.

In a separate development, the Russian Foreign Ministry summoned Thai Ambassador Chalermpol Thanchitt to accept a diplomatic protest in response to Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya's remarks on Russia's role in sheltering Thaksin.

During an April 13 speech at John Hopkins University, Kasit lashed out at countries such as Russia and Germany for turning a blind eye to Thaksin's conviction.

"This is act of interference - how can the Russians allow him to stay for two days and Germans do the same before that?" Kasit asked.

Hell, he looked perfectly fine in some news coverage just a couple of days ago!

And about a week ago he actually had to make a statement before the cameras to deny he wasn't dead! (there were rumors of his death floating in Thailand)

The report of my death was an exaggeration.

Mark Twain, New York Journal, June 2, 1897

Guest Hedda
My bf said there was sketchy and conflicting information that Thaksin was in ICU in either Montenegro or Dubai. He couldn't make out what was true and what wasn't. Has anyone heard anything about it?

I assume from your post that you never read newspapers, Thai or English, which have been running front page stories about Thaksin's alleged death throes for months. It's a choreographed effort by the folks running the current government to keep Thaksin in the news, so that it's easier to associate him with the red shirts.

The one thing the Abhisit backers dread is that the red shirts' protest will take on a life of its own, as a genuine democratic movement of national proportions, with Thaksin fading into the background. That would seriously damage the government's claim that the red shirts are nothing but a front run by Thaksin to regain power.Their strategy is to keep Thaksin as the poster boy of the red shirt movement to try to limit its political appeal to farmers who cant; be expected to know any better.

That's why these stories about Thaksin on his death bed keep circulating. It's only by claiming that he's dying that they can create headlines from some routine appearance on You-tube. It's all designed to keep the devil on stage in full view - because out of sight is out of mind. The last thing that Abhisit and his monarchist sponsors want to see is a red shirt movement without an albatross like Thaksin to hang around its neck.

Guest RichLB

The last thing that Abhisit and his monarchist sponsors want to see is a red shirt movement without an albatross like Thaksin to hang around its neck.

I tend to agree with Hedda, but have wondered if they have gone one step further. My belief is that Thaksin and the King are not the best of friends, but are the red shirts really opposed to the monarchy or is this another dose of mininformation designed to soften support for their movement? I've read denials of this assertion, but the rumor persists. Does anyone have any insights about the red shirts true stance on the monarchy?

My opinion about who the Reds support is that some support different institutions than others. I don't believe there is one vision. I also think that applies to the leaders not necessarily the paid protesters. Also, it seems to me that there are military personnel that have their own agenda concerning promotions.

Maybe there are so many different layers to this problem it is hard for us (at least for me) to make sense out of it. Coming from the USA, during my life time I have never seen military, police, and protest as complicated as this. Of course we have had very big protests in the USA and some turned violent, some had people killed. But this protest seems to have many more dimensions.

Does anyone have any insights about the red shirts true stance on the monarchy?

God or Bhudda only knows what's "true" but the only statements reported in the press that the redshirt leaders have made for several months explicitly say they honor and support the king (versus, let's say, Prem who they blame for giving the green light for the coup). Even Shinawatra, in his quoted statements, has said the same thing repeatedly.

The Yellow Shirts (and, perhaps, the current government) have always accused their enemies of being against the king. It's standard pap from that group.

I want to remind everyone about our policy about even mentioning the monarchy on this board. While nothing has been posted that I would interpret as negative, please let's leave the monarchy out of posts here. I don't think you need me to tell you how strict Thailand can be when it comes to their ideas of Lese Majeste violations. I think we'll all survive just fine without posts about the monarchy. Let's just drop any further posts about the monarchy, ok?

Guest Hedda

I want to remind everyone about our policy about even mentioning the monarchy on this board. . . Let's just drop any further posts about the monarchy, ok?

Soory, GB, but you're wrong on this on several counts. The policy of the board regarding the monarchy is set forth in its rules: "Thailand is a Kingdom in which respect for the Royal Family is expected. There will be no posts allowed that disparage or insult the royals."

Obviously, if the moderators want to now prohibit all mention of the monarchy, that's their prerogative. Just realize that's more draconian in scope than the actual lese majeste laws. But if you're going to ban mention of the monarchy, then don't you also have to ban all posts that accuse the red shirts of being anti-monarchy, which anyone reading the Nation these days knows is the charge that's constantly being made against the red shirts now.

If this board's moderators are going to lead or encourage debates here about Thai politics, then they can't play ostrich with their head in the sand and expect the debate to be fair or rational.

Sorry, GB, but you're wrong on this on several counts.

Be that as it may, I and the other moderators will be the ones who make those decisions, thank you very much. I'm not about to have my life in Thailand jeopardized for the sake of posts on a message board. I'm also not going to have other people decide for me whether I'm taking a serious risk or just being paranoid.

Maybe I'm going overboard by saying there can be no posts about the monarchy at all, but if I or the other moderators determine that a post contains language that potentially can place us in such jeopardy, rest assured that post will be gone and the person who wrote the post will be warned. If he persists, he'll be gone too.

I'm sorry, but I simply will not permit anyone to place my life here in jeopardy. While I realize I'm going to hear all about how I'm being paranoid, I've seen too many instances of Lese Majeste arrests that stemmed from writing that seemed to be perfectly innocent. I'd much rather be labeled paranoid than to find myself in jail waiting to be sentenced.

It just isn't worth it to take those kinds of risks. I have yet to see a post on any board anywhere that is so important that the people directly involved with that board should allow themselves to be placed in that position.

So, if people really feel a pressing need to post on this board about the monarchy that's their choice, but don't be surprised if the post quickly disappears.

Guest GaySacGuy

If this board's moderators are going to lead or encourage debates here about Thai politics, then they can't play ostrich with their head in the sand and expect the debate to be fair or rational.

If anyone has their head in the sand..or somewhere else..it is you!!

This board provides a lot of valuable information to falangs living here and traveling to LOS. During these turbulent times it is critical that this info be available, and anything that threatens the board shouldn't be allowed.

OPINION: It appears you are only here to try to start a fight...WE DON'T NEED IT!!

Guest xiandarkthorne

I agree with GB fully. Why risk the owner and moderators' lives or liberty just because someone has a need to sound off? Why risk this board being banned or shut down? There are lots of us others who want this board to keep going for a long time yet. Go start your own board and post all you want to there if you have such an urgent need to express your opinion. Or better still, go over to THAT board - they don't have any problems with 'unusual opinions'...oh wait...I forgot, it's dead.

I'll jump in here. There was a recent post that gave us a problem and we removed the part of the thread that was not appropriate. Please feel free to post about the Monarchy in any positive way you desire. Anything other than that, it will be deleted. It is that simple. That does not come from GayButton who often takes the majority of the criticism here but it comes from me. There will be no discussions of the monarchy in a negative way. NONE. Period. End of discussion.

I won't go on and debate this issue with anyone.

Guest xiandarkthorne

Dear Lvdkeyes (dang...I keep wanting to type Lordkeyes),

It's like after someone tells you to try not to think about something...you can't.

Guest Hedda

During these turbulent times it is critical that this info be available, and anything that threatens the board shouldn't be allowed.

Spare us the drama, dear. None of us wants to say the wrong thing and have the internet gestapo pull the plug on anyone, especially "falangs" who see their very survival threatened if a gay posting board says something that doesn't match the party line.

It's obvious when you read the political posts here that most of the posters have swallowed the government's Newspeak, hook, line and sinker. I admit that it makes for great choir music, but it's not political debate.

Obviously, I have no right to put this board or any of its moderators in peril by posting things that make people afraid. I also don't want to waste time trying to analyze rainbows when some moderators fear that mentioning certain colors is dangerous, while others want only "good" colors described.

The solution is obvious. You enjoy the show; I'll post elsewhere.

Obviously, I have no right to put this board or any of its moderators in peril by posting things that make people afraid. I also don't want to waste time trying to analyze rainbows when some moderators fear that mentioning certain colors is dangerous, while others want only "good" colors described.

The solution is obvious. You enjoy the show; I'll post elsewhere.

I hope you change your mind and keep posting. I have always enjoyed your take on issues. All I ask is that the monarchy not be discussed in a negative way. Sorry, but that is the way it must be. Other issues are always debatable.

What happened to the first post? It's not there and from my end I can see that none of the moderators deleted anything.

I think I deleted the first post as I saw it was a double post and at the same time he edited his second post. If he sends me the words, I'll reinstate it.

Guest lvdkeyes

Dear Lvdkeyes (dang...I keep wanting to type Lordkeyes),

It's like after someone tells you to try not to think about something...you can't.

What is the point of this posting?

Guest lvdkeyes

What happened to the first post? It's not there and from my end I can see that none of the moderators deleted anything.

That's a very good question. It was there. I asked why it was so difficult for people to refrain from posting about possible, evenly remotely, troublesome topics?

This thread is starting to look like the admins are taking lessons from the disjointed red shirts leaders

- GB:"Let's just drop any further posts about the monarchy", GT:"Please feel free to post about the Monarchy in any positive way you desire"

- GB:"from my end I can see that none of the moderators deleted anything", GT:"I deleted the first post"

but I am sure GB can pull some explanatory pithy quote from his dictionary of quotations that someone must have given him for Christmas!

bkkguy

but I am sure GB can pull some explanatory pithy quote from his dictionary of quotations that someone must have given him for Christmas!

You're right. I can. But since neither GT, the other moderators, nor I owe you an explanation about a damned thing, I can't be bothered.