reader

COVID infections rise 48% in past week

From Thai PBS World

COVID-19 infected patients being admitted to hospitals in Thailand increased to 2,762 between June 2 and 8, which is an average of 395 cases a day. The previous week saw 1,863 cases, according to the COVID-19 Information Centre.

Five fatalities were also reported during that week, bringing the death toll this year to 137. 

Dr Thira Woratanarat, of the Faculty of Medicine at Chulalongkorn University, advised via Facebook post today that the public should keep their guard up and take care of their health, as COVID related hospital admissions have increased by 48.3% over the previous week.

Meanwhile, the Centre for Medical Genomics at Mahidol University reported on its website that a new vaccine, KP.2, which is capable of boosting the immune system against new COVID variants, is expected to be approved for use during the 2024-25 season.

The centre said that the new vaccine constitutes an important advance in the fight against COVID mutations and will slow the global rate of infections.

Not yet approved for use (according to article).

May 14th notice from US CDC regarding vaccines:

What You Need to Know

• CDC recommends the 2023–2024 updated COVID-19 vaccines—Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, or Novavax—to protect against serious illness from COVID-19.
  • Everyone aged 5 years and older  should get 1 dose of an updated COVID-19 vaccine to protect against serious illness from COVID-19.
  • Children aged 6 months–4 years may need multiple doses of COVID-19 vaccines to be up to date, including at least 1 dose of updated COVID-19 vaccine.
  • People who are moderately or severely immunocompromised may get additional doses of updated COVID-19 vaccine.
  • People aged 65 years and older who received 1 dose of any updated 2023-2024 COVID-19 vaccine (Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna or Novavax) should receive 1 additional dose of an updated COVID-19 vaccine at least 4 months after the previous updated dose. For more Novavax information, click or tap here.
  • COVID-19 vaccine recommendations will be updated as needed.
  • People who are up to date have lower risk of severe illness, hospitalization and death from COVID-19 than people who are unvaccinated or who have not completed the doses recommended for them by CDC.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/stay-up-to-date.html

3 hours ago, reader said:

Not yet approved for use (according to article).

May 14th notice from US CDC regarding vaccines:

What You Need to Know

• CDC recommends the 2023–2024 updated COVID-19 vaccines—Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, or Novavax—to protect against serious illness from COVID-19.
  • Everyone aged 5 years and older  should get 1 dose of an updated COVID-19 vaccine to protect against serious illness from COVID-19.
  • Children aged 6 months–4 years may need multiple doses of COVID-19 vaccines to be up to date, including at least 1 dose of updated COVID-19 vaccine.
  • People who are moderately or severely immunocompromised may get additional doses of updated COVID-19 vaccine.
  • People aged 65 years and older who received 1 dose of any updated 2023-2024 COVID-19 vaccine (Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna or Novavax) should receive 1 additional dose of an updated COVID-19 vaccine at least 4 months after the previous updated dose. For more Novavax information, click or tap here.
  • COVID-19 vaccine recommendations will be updated as needed.
  • People who are up to date have lower risk of severe illness, hospitalization and death from COVID-19 than people who are unvaccinated or who have not completed the doses recommended for them by CDC.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/stay-up-to-date.html

No doubt Trump and his allies will rubbish this advice. 

From Thai PBS World

The COVID-19 KP.2 sub-variant is quickly replacing JN.1, the dominant sub-variant in Thailand since late last year. Currently available vaccines, which were developed to deal with the XBB.1.5 sub-variant, are ineffective against KP.2, according to Dr. Yong Poovorawan, head of the Centre of Excellence in Clinical Virology at Chulalongkorn University, in his Facebook page today.

He said the KP.2 sub-variant, or FLi RT, is a mutation of the JN.1 variant and is more easily transmissible and more capable of evading the immune system, but its symptoms are no more severe than the JN.1 variant.

He anticipates that the KP.2 sub-variant will soon become dominant in Thailand.

He also said that the World Health Organisation has already advised vaccine producers to modify their vaccines to cope with the JN.1 sub-variant, but the virus has already mutated to KP.2 and it is not possible for the vaccine producers to keep pace with the current speed of virus mutations.

1 hour ago, reader said:

the virus has already mutated to KP.2 and it is not possible for the vaccine producers to keep pace with the current speed of virus mutations.

thank you reader for cheering us up !

The FLiRT variety is taking off over here in Australia too, luckily most that I know that caught this one haven't been too badly affected by it. I am partially immunocompromised due to effects of pneumonia when I was a child and will wear a mask in higher risk situations like crowded trains etc but most people now seem to not care at all. I do hope that with each new variant that it gets weaker or at the very least doesn't get any stronger, it has stuffed us all around for far to long now. 

Amazingly I just travelled the last 2 months through Thailand Philippines Malaysia meeting a combination of guys from money boys to non money boys to straight to bisexual and Rimmed and licked many butts and kissed many mouths.

I came back to Australia 2 weeks ago fit n healthy where I headed to the gym in such a energetic mood.

Last Sunday I was forced to call in sick to my workplace with body aches ,headache , bronchitis.

Unfortunately the doctor would only see me via the FaceTime video.

He told me to have a covid test ,buy it from the pharmacy 

Yesterday I had a RAT test which is covid positive.

Today I'm much better but still lying in bed using paracetamol 

The body aches & tiredness is the worst following the breathing almost like wheezing  having to sit up to breathe 

Though not as bad as I experienced it several years ago before I had my 2 X vaccination 

I in reality should of got a covid booster  & flu vax 

I can't imagine what I would be like though I had not had the 2 covid vaccinations so I believe they saved me from much worse symptoms 

I believe it's something I caught at the gym , I remember people coughing on the treadmill next to mine etc 

Day 4 of this ,I hope it goes soon.

I'm eating soups ,vitamins etc 

Slept for 12 hours yesterday dozed off at 5pm woke at 5am

I always seem to have dreams when I'm sick 🤕 and wake up suddenly 

12 minutes ago, Olddaddy said:

Though not as bad as I experienced it several years ago before I had my 2 X vaccination 

I in reality should of got a covid booster  & flu vax 

Good reminder to rest of us to get boosters.

4 minutes ago, reader said:

Good reminder to rest of us to get boosters.

Yes !.

I didn't bother with the covid booster,I didn't even bother with the flu vaccine this year which every year I get without fail

Last week at this time I was lifting weights in the gym feeling strong and energetic 

Right now I'm in bed with coughing , tired,body aches .

Once this is over I will go get the covid booster 

From The Thaiger

Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin has taken sick leave after testing positive for Covid-19. The announcement came yesterday evening through his Facebook page, where he revealed experiencing fatigue and a slight fever, which led him to undergo testing.

Government spokesperson Chai Wacharonke reported that the Bangkok-born prime minister consulted a doctor last Friday upon noticing the symptoms. The test results confirmed the Covid infection. Medical advice has been given to the prime minister to rest until he is no longer contagious, with additional monitoring planned for the early part of this week.

The 62 year old Srettha shared the news on Facebook.

9 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

Right now I'm in bed with coughing , tired,body aches .

Once this is over I will go get the covid booster 

Hope you recover fast as it's very unhealthy to be sick.

Unfortunately with age we seem to lose some immunity so nee to resort to vaccinations , boosters and stay away from coughing  / sneezing people. 

2 hours ago, vinapu said:

Hope you recover fast as it's very unhealthy to be sick.

Unfortunately with age we seem to lose some immunity so nee to resort to vaccinations , boosters and stay away from coughing  / sneezing people. 

I am feeling lousy today, sore throat, cough, headache, etc, but just an old fashioned cold, not Covid. However I have a lot of friends  in my age group, ie 70, who are fully boosted, but have still caught Covid, recently.  Vinapu is right about age. If my friends had not been boosted, I think they would have been quite ill, as the latest strain seems quite virulent.  I am glad to see that the Republican AG of Kansas is suing Pfizer for having the temerity to save many lives! Of course, that's not  how he is putting it, but you get my drift!

3 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

Well the reason I didn't get the Covid boosters is because I don't or should I say didn't believe in them.

Your decision of course. I think it was foolish, but its entirely up to you. I had a friend at the beginning  of the epidemic.  Healthy 70 year old, played tennis. He refused the vaccine, got Covid and died. 

Were you a bleach fan?