Guest travelerjim

Cambodia - Update from US State Department

Guest travelerjim

Many of us have pondered a trip to Cambodia.

The US State Department has just updated their advisory

regarding travel to Cambodia.

It contains a lot of information and can be helpful to those

planning a trip to Cambodia.

Have a good trip!

tj

Here it is:

September 1, 2010

COUNTRY DESCRIPTION

Cambodia is a developing country with a constitutional monarchy and an elected government. King Norodom Sihamoni is the constitutional monarch and head of state. Elections for Members of the National Assembly were held in July 2008 and are scheduled to take place again in July 2013. The July 2008 elections sent representatives from five different parties to the National Assembly, with the Cambodian People

have they ever been in Cambodia to check their "facts"???

The U.S. Embassy advises its personnel not to travel by train because of low safety standards and the high risk of banditry.

which one trains??? there are no working railroads in Cambodia...

The U.S. Embassy strongly discourages its employees from using domestic air carriers

Which one "domestic air carriers"??? there are NO domestic carriers with airplanes, with exception of balloons and helicopters around Angkor Wat... all "domestic" are just code-share with Australian, Singaporean, Vietnamese or Thai airlines...

Guest fountainhall

Which one "domestic air carriers"??? there are NO domestic carriers with airplanes, with exception of balloons and helicopters around Angkor Wat... all "domestic" are just code-share with Australian, Singaporean, Vietnamese or Thai airlines...

Last year there was one domestic carrier named Cambodian Angkor Airlines that had at least 1 fairly new A320 and a Beechcraft AT-7. Has that gone bust? Or been taken over?

Last year there was one domestic carrier named Cambodian Angkor Airlines that had at least 1 fairly new A320 and a Beechcraft AT-7. Has that gone bust? Or been taken over?

They are joint of Cambodian government and Vietnam Airlines: 1 A321 + 2 ATR-72

That US post looks like a pessimistic outlook intended to raise every potential risk about visiting Cambodia.

I would read that, select the important bits about land mines & so on & treat the rest as stuff that's VERY unlikely to happen.

What WILL happen is that we will all die one day anyway.

In the mean time, enjoy life. Visit Cambodia & other SE Asian countries.

Guest GaySacGuy

That US post looks like a pessimistic outlook intended to raise every potential risk about visiting Cambodia.

I agree Z909..very pessimistic. But if you review what the US Embassy said during the Red Shirt activities in Bangkok, it will be clear that the embassy is just trying to cover it's ass. They want to make sure if you get hurt in Cambodia they can say "We told you so!"

Guest MonkeySee

I am not much on taking the word of a bunch of government bureaucrats. Take it all with a grain of salt. Visit the country, beware of your surroundings and use common sense. You will have a great time.

Guest lvdkeyes

Just as during the Red Shirts demonstrations, if you stayed away from the immediate area, you would never have known there was a problem. Perfectly safe!

Guest Astrrro

In July 2010, the U.S. Embassy received several reports that U.S. citizens and other foreigners had been attacked by rocks or pieces of brick that were thrown from moving vehicles in the vicinity of the riverfront in Phnom Penh. Several of the victims reportedly suffered facial lacerations and concussions. All of the attacks took place at night, and the victims included both foreign men and women. Exercise caution, especially at night, and report any attacks to both the Embassy and to the local tourist police.

********************************************************************************

I satyed in the rivefron area in June for a couple of weeks and felt quite safe and I am a very late night person.

I also wandered many streets I probably shouldn't have very late a night,

PP looks dodgy, but the people are quite friendly and work a look. If one needs to doo do a visa run, i think a cheap AirAsia fligt to PP and an overnight stay for a few days compares favorable with a van to the border.

PP looks dodgy, but the people are quite friendly and work a look. If one needs to doo do a visa run, i think a cheap AirAsia fligt to PP and an overnight stay for a few days compares favorable with a van to the border.

I agree: PP isn't so interesting - just dusty city without interesting objects. That why I prefer Siem Reap - there are a lot of historical sites around of SR. Only in Angkor you can spend weeks.

As well I never use vans from Khaosan Rd. - they start late, arrive to Poi Pet in peak (most crowded) time, at Cambodian side they want to "sell" you for commission to guesthauses.

My way: from BKK and PTT to Poi Pet I use taxi (2200-2500 \ 2500-2700 Baht), using e-visa helps avoid queues at border in Cambodian visa office, then car from angkorcars.com to Siem Reap. Total time is about 5 hours - the same like at airplane.

Guest MonkeySee
PP isn't so interesting - just dusty city without interesting objects. That why I prefer Siem Reap - there are a lot of historical sites around of SR. Only in Angkor you can spend weeks.

With the risk of going off topic, I would have to disagree with the statement about PP isn't so interesting. Of course Angkor Wat is a must see and first on the list but the capital city of almost any country is well worth seeing in my book.

With the risk of going off topic, I would have to disagree with the statement about PP isn't so interesting.

I agree, PP is worth a visit even if just for the atmosphere.

With the risk of going off topic, I would have to disagree with the statement about PP isn't so interesting. Of course Angkor Wat is a must see and first on the list but the capital city of almost any country is well worth seeing in my book.

Yes. Capital city! That why I'm talking about Angkor (not Angkor Wat but whole Angkor park). PP is just modern capital of Cambodia. But real capital cities were at the Angkor area: Rolous, Angkor Thom, Angkor Wat, etc... They were capital cities much longer and in time when Khmer civilization was at peak of her glory, but (IMHO) PP is just dusty reflection of their formerly mighty and power.

Hehe. Khmers build 75m-high Angkor Wat at 13 century. And now we can read in newspapers if in Phnom Penh they proudly announce start of construction of first 16-fl. "skyscraper"...

Guest Astrrro

Yes. Capital city!

Hehe. Khmers build 75m-high Angkor Wat at 13 century. And now we can read in newspapers if in Phnom Penh they proudly announce start of construction of first 16-fl. "skyscraper"...

Is amazing the lack of big buildings in PP. And lack of traffic lights.