Guest aot87

siam reap

Not really a thai question, but if you want to travel from pattaya to siam reap for a quick trip, how many days do u need to allow yourself in sr to look around. If u dont want to fly how do you get there from pattaya

It is question for Gay Cambodia section :)

For first visit you need 3 full days (not count day of arriving and day of departure).

1 day.

Angkor Wat + temples of "small circle": start from hotel about 8-00 - to be in AW before big groups of tourists and visit temples not in crowded time (all time one step in front of main mass of tourists). Finish about 16-00, then relax in pool of hotel and after sunset visit downtown with night markets, Pub street, foot massage (not by fish, but real massage)

2 day.

Start from hotel at 8-00 and visit to Banteay Srei - one only "temple for womans" in Angkor are with fantastic carving (about 30 km from SR), on the way back to visit Land Mine Museum and then temples of "big circles", finish about 18-00 and relax in pool, then visit "folk show - Aspara dances"

3 day.

Sunrise in Angkor (start about 5:30), breakfast, then visit Rolous group of temples - place where Khmer civilization starts their mighty 400 years before Angkor Wat (50 km form SR), then lunch and at 15:00 start to Tonle Sap lake. By the way to visit temples and expect to be at lake at 17:00, visit floating village but not spend time in restaurants there and ask captain to go at open lake (water) behind village and watch sunset at lake till sky become violet - there are IMHO the best sunset in South East Asia at this lake.

In fact with this schedule you will miss few more main sites in Angkor area, but will have reason to visit Siem Reap one more time :)

I wrote few time "my way to get to Siem Reap" at this forum already, but can repeat :)

From Pattaya and Bangkok you can reach Siem Reap by ground via Aranyapraphet-Poipet border crossing.

I use taxi (2300-2500 baht from BKK, 3 hours / 2500-2700 baht from Pattaya, 4 hours) to Aranyapraphet. Target - to be at border before crowded time - before noon, when buses and vans from Khaosan Road start to arrive. Before 12:00 there are almost no queue at border. Also I suggest to obtain Cambodian visa in advance via Internet (e-visa). At Cambodian side I use car service from angkorcars.com - their driver wait me with plate with my name directly near the door of Cambodian immigration office. Way to Siem Reap is about 90-120 min/130 km. (45$ per car)

I caught a bus from Aranya Prathet to Pattaya 3 years ago, so it follows that it must be possible to the trip in reverse. You should be able to pick up a taxi in Poipet for about $40.

This is a very worthwhile trip.

I caught a bus from Aranya Prathet to Pattaya 3 years ago, so it follows that it must be possible to the trip in reverse. You should be able to pick up a taxi in Poipet for about $40.

This is a very worthwhile trip.

Back way is cheaper: there are taxi stall directly after thai customs on the way back with fixed prices: 1900 Baht to any place in BKK and 2200 Baht to Pattaya per car, as well from Siem Reap I use angkocars.com - way back cost only 30$/car coz at this direction driver don't pays bribes (15$ per car with falang) to police of Poipet

Guest beachlover
I use taxi (2300-2500 baht from BKK, 3 hours / 2500-2700 baht from Pattaya, 4 hours) to Aranyapraphet. Target - to be at border before crowded time - before noon, when buses and vans from Khaosan Road start to arrive. Before 12:00 there are almost no queue at border. Also I suggest to obtain Cambodian visa in advance via Internet (e-visa). At Cambodian side I use car service from angkorcars.com - their driver wait me with plate with my name directly near the door of Cambodian immigration office. Way to Siem Reap is about 90-120 min/130 km. (45$ per car)

Hmmm... with those costs, would it be cheaper (not to mention quicker) to fly BKK to Siem Reap? What are the BKK to Siem Reap fares these days?

Bkk to siam reap approx 11000 bht rtn , with bangkok air, plus taxi pattaya to bkk return, I want to take a thai friend with me so you can see the cost of flying , you would be looking at a cost of about 25000 bht return

Hmmm... with those costs, would it be cheaper (not to mention quicker) to fly BKK to Siem Reap? What are the BKK to Siem Reap fares these days?

No chance for flight to be cheaper coz of monopoly of Bangkok Air. If you travel alone then price for travel by car anyway will be cheaper, and if you travel 2 or 3 persons - then car's price will be 3-4-5 times cheaper (depends on how long time in advance you buy tickets).

Time is almost the same with air\car: if count time to reach airport, time for procedures of check-in and security, waiting for boarding, flight, time in airport in Siem Reap (luggage, visa) and time from airport to hotel.

Air Asia fly from Bangkok to Phnom Penh. I have a return flight next March that cost only 1400 baht. You can then get the bus to Siam Reap. I also heard that you can also get a boat, but I don't know the cost.

Air Asia fly from Bangkok to Phnom Penh. I have a return flight next March that cost only 1400 baht. You can then get the bus to Siam Reap. I also heard that you can also get a boat, but I don't know the cost.

Yes, this is possible to get to Phnom Penh and then from PP to SR. But only travel by bus from PP to SR takes up to 5 hours. Travel by boat up to 8 hours (depends on season), so it isn't possible to finish this travel in 1 day coz boats use only daylight time. This situation with buses and boats allow Bangkok Air keep prices on high level.

In fact there are more option: for example JetAir offer one way trip Bangkok - Singapore - Phnom Penh - Siem Reap for only 179$, but this trip lasts up to 40 hours (depends on waiting for next flight in Singapore (5 or 19 hours).

Do not discount the value of travelling overland and seeing something of the countryside in Cambodia. I don't see holidays as being just about flying form one city to another.

My recommendation would be to do one leg overland, just for what you might see on the way.

If you have time to do Phnom Penh, then fly there & return overland via Siem Reap (or vice versa, remembering you only get a 2 week stamp if arriving in Thailand overland)

Guest beachlover

Shit, that's right. Siem Reap - BKK is the route Bangkok Airways have their monopoly over. What a pain.

Nice alternative might be to fly into Phnom Penh, spend a night or two partying up there, then either fly to Siem Reap (think the air fare is 2000-3000 baht for the 35 min flight) or get a bus there.

When Air Asia is booked online, there is an option for travel insurance. I think it is 250 baht

They do not cover first 500 Baht per accident, as well you should use your money first and clime money back in 30 days.

Cost of insurance is 315 Baht for international travels "up to 10 days"