TotallyOz

Sihanoukville Cambodia

Guest thaiworthy
The camera exposure isn't quite right, his skin is not that dark, and his complexion is flawless with lovely smooth coffee-coloured skin.

That's the problem I have with most cameras. Notice how bright the background is. The camera is supposed to allow just enough light for a good exposure based on where the crosshairs are aligned, dead center on the subject. It seldom works, though. The only thing I can do is to stage the scene so the subject is not set against such a glaring background. Also, part of the problem is that the subject is also under a canopy, which makes the shot even harder.

This is another reason I have held off buying that new camera. I don't know how to solve a problem like that. But I need to buy the camera, sometime this year. Still looking.

Some of the Panasonic models have a feature called "exposure bracketing", which if switched on takes 3 photos at different exposure levels. I guess that kind of feature would be common on other brands.

So what sort of camera are you after Thaiworthy?

If you don't mind carrying a big lump around, this should be ideal for arty snapshots on the beach ^_^ 12 frames per second too: http://www.photograp...c_fz150_review/

I would be more likely to go for something more compact: http://www.photograp...x230_hs_review/

I currently use a Panasonic TZ9, but the SX230 seems to be rated ahead of the newer Panasonic TZ18 & 20 models.

The blue hotel is an example of some of the less tasteful modern Cambodian architecture :ninja: .

Guest thaiworthy

Thanks, Z. I looked at them both. I guess online (Amazon?) is the best place to buy. I like the Limix and this "exposure bracketing" feature sounds fascinating. Until something better comes along, this is probably what I'll get in the very near future. Thanks.

Guest fountainhall

Notice how bright the background is

I have no idea how to solve that when I am taking the photo - other than setting the exposure in a darker area and then moving the camera on to the subject. I'm not sure about photoshop, but iPhoto has a great 'shadows' adjustment that brings up the exposure in shaded areas. The 'highlights' can also help reduce the background light.

I think on line, particularly Amazon is frequently the cheapest place to buy.

However, go & handle the actual cameras in an old fashioned camera shop first, just to ensure the size & feel is right for you. Maybe even spend a couple of hours browsing "dpreview.com" & "photographyblog.com"

Actually buying off the camera shop is a little risky, as they may well close down before the guarantee expires.

As for the overexposed background, well I am a total novice at this photography business, but it would be interesting to try the flash to improve the exposure issue. Think the term is "fill in flash". I'm far from convinced, but it might help.

Or Quote (Photographyblog.com): "For those not already up to speed re: the properties of Fujifilm's Super CCD EXR sensor meanwhile, it can be utilized in one of three ways by the photographer. There's a choice between shooting at full 12MP resolution in High Resolution (HR) mode, alternatively choosing wide Dynamic Range (DR) mode to achieve optimal balance between shadows and highlights"

Maybe that is what you need, or maybe I totally misunderstand their explanation.

Incidentally, some of the CMOS sensors get good reviews, especially for photos taken in poor light.

Guest thaiworthy

I forgot all about "fill-in flash," but you're right. That would have helped with Rogie's picture. And you can do that with nearly every camera made. Good work, Z!