Guest Steve1903

long term visits

Whoops, sorry Up2U. Just read my reply back to myself and I do sound somewhat tetchy. Can only put it down to being late (and tired).

Anyhow to move on....what's my budget? Hmm, tricky one. How about, as little as poss without sitting in the condo every night counting what I have left. Or, going from the topside down, I have given myself

Guest Steve1903

HeyGay, I noticed a number for Thai Embassy in Glasgow (my neck of the woods) but haven't had an answer. Is the Hull place the only one to deal with or just the best bet?

Also, umm....who is that guy in your avatar. Jeezus, he looks hot!!

Up2U,

I think I've got enough also. Certainly not for boys on tap every day but my intention was to keep to around or just under 50,000B a month initially then let go a little. Even at that, if I feel I need to spend a bit more to enjoy my time more then I can simply re-adjust and cut a month or two off the end. Not a big party animal anyway, more the chill and relax type. Thai food though isn't really my scene so I'll be shopping sensibly to keep the costs down.

Guest fountainhall

I noticed a number for Thai Embassy in Glasgow (my neck of the woods) but haven't had an answer. Is the Hull place the only one to deal with or just the best bet?

A friend of mine from Edinburgh got his visa from the Consulate (it's not a full Embassy) in Glasgow. He said they were amazingly helpful.

You might find the following website information useful -- it covers both short term and long term stay. Visa & Immigration Information

If you can get a one year multiple entry Non-Immigrant "O" visa, this would be the best for your situation - you still have to make a visa run every 90 days (upon entry, you receive a permission to stay of 90 days, which is the maximum as it does not appear you would qualify for an extension). Leaving Thailand and returning during the year the visa is valid will get you another 90 day stay.

If you get a Tourist Visa, you receive a 60 day permission to stay, which can be extended another 30 days at Thai Immigration then you must leave Thailand -- you can apply for another tourist visa in a neighboring country, but the Thai Embassy and Consulates there are getting picky on the number of back to back tourist stamps you can obtain - the first one is probably no problem, after that it might be -- www.thaivisa.com has posting on what is going on at most of the neighboring Thai embassy/consulates at any given time.

In your situation, the ED visa is probably the only one that would allow you to stay in Thailand beyond 90 days - there are schools here that help with the paperwork, but you would have to go to a neighboring country to get a Non-Immigrant ED visa - that gets you a 90 stay when you return, but with paperwork from the school, you can get an extension from Thai Immigration of up to one year (can be renewed) -- However, from reports I have seen, Immigration may extend stay for a shorter period - say 3 or 6 months requiring you renew at the end of the permitted stay -- I have also seen reports that the Immigration Officer might want you to demonstrate your ability to speak Thai to see if you are really learning Thai -- not always the case, but could happen.

Also, you might find the information on Living in Thailand of some interest - page 2 has links to various topics such as banking, property, etc.

Guest HeyGay

Remember, he is not yet 50 so retirement visa is not possible. He wants to live in Pattaya so a course at Ramkamhaeng Univ. (Bangkok) doesn't sound practical.

Just sign up with Pattaya "text and talk" or any school learn Thai or how to teach, your get an Education Visa.

Guest HeyGay

HeyGay, I noticed a number for Thai Embassy in Glasgow (my neck of the woods) but haven't had an answer. Is the Hull place the only one to deal with or just the best bet?

Also, umm....who is that guy in your avatar. Jeezus, he looks hot!!

Up2U,

I think I've got enough also. Certainly not for boys on tap every day but my intention was to keep to around or just under 50,000B a month initially then let go a little. Even at that, if I feel I need to spend a bit more to enjoy my time more then I can simply re-adjust and cut a month or two off the end. Not a big party animal anyway, more the chill and relax type. Thai food though isn't really my scene so I'll be shopping sensibly to keep the costs down.

Yes the Boy in my avatar is Hot, so hot he is spending 4 years in prison silly Boy and there is nothing I can do to help, what a wast, he will never be the same guy again now ;(

Yes send to Hull for quicky 1 year Immigration 'O' Visa.

Guest Steve1903

4 years in jail? A waste right enough.

But oh how silly I feel myself. Here am I rattling on about Thai visas when I've just noticed my own passport has barely nine months on it. So, now all is on hold until I get my renewed passport. Two to three weeks of sitting waiting is going to be torture. I so want to get away from here, it can't come soon enough.

I would think twice about trying to get an education visa unless you intend to attend classes and really get that education. To do otherwise would be attempting to circumvent the system. If you were to get caught doing that, it would not only be the end of being able to stay in Thailand, but could easily affect your ability to obtain visas in the future.

If you believe Immigration officials were born yesterday and don't realize that some people make that sort of attempt and/or they wouldn't check, you might be making a serious mistake. I would not recommend following advice from people who are trying to tell you to attempt to circumvent the system. If you are going to obtain a visa, obtain it legitimately. I said from the outset not to try to come up with bizarre ideas for trying to stay in Thailand for a year. I hope, for your sake, you adhere to that advice.

I don't think playing games with Immigration is a good idea. You can bet if you were ever to be caught, Immigration wouldn't play any games. It's too great a risk unless you intend to use an education visa legitimately. Using a visa under false pretenses can easily lead to serious consequences. It would be a felonious criminal act and Immigration would take it very seriously. So would the Thai courts.

My advice: Use only a visa you obtain legitimately. If you can't get the visa you want legitimately, then change your plans, but don't try to use a visa under false pretenses.

Guest Steve1903

GB, I've already intimated that the student route isn't for me. My take on the matter is that if the Thai authorities rules say that I'm not allowed a full year then that will be that. I didn't post on here for ideas on how to get round the rules, just to find out what the rules were. Some have said I will get a year (legally) others say I may have to settle for less. If that's how it is then that's how it is.

First I need to get past my own stupidity in not looking at my own passport date so I now have a wait for that to come back. Soon as I get that I will quickly find out exactly what I can get from the embassy/consulate.

I'll post the result of that as soon as I get it.