Guest Nabeel

Cambodia v Laos

Just back form a week in PP and SR.

flew to PP with Air asia, good flight, and easy at both ends with Immigration etc. If you forget, or inj my case the BF did, your pics for Cambodia, no problem - pay a dollar and off you go.

Stayed at the Hope and Anchor in PP. Two doors away from the Salt Lounge.

Good rooms, take one on the fron with the balcony - 30 bucks, to watch the river and early evening strollers!!!! Be careful.

Used a Travel Booth for the bus tickets to SR. 300 B VIP bus, smooth ride. This takes about 5 1/2 hours and has a stop for lunch just before SR.

Stayed at the Golden Banana. Excellent rooms etc. Staff very friendly and helpful. dirk the manager is a fountain of local knowledge. They will organise taxis, Tuktuks etc, for day trips and also as we did - the overland back to the Thai Border.

Nights at the Linga Bar, should have all its bar area open and updated by the end of the month. Again, great staff and atmosphere. spent one evening with a couple of the F/Lancers at Zero One disco. Safe enough, but again be careful. VERY friendly Toilets!!!!

Figo - empty and zero atmosphere. And whoever wrote on their web that they have handsome staff really needs a good slapping.

Laos - what can you say. Easy, quiet, laid back - yes and that is all. Stayed at the Dragon Lodge - staff more interested in playing chess than serving you. Soradith - the Cafe Kok has become a nightclub (!) - named More Entertainment. Okay if you like Laos groups of women drinking cases of beer and whiskey.

Nice to see some gay venues coming back to Cambodia. I was last there in 2002 and all the gay establishments had collapsed or gone mixed.

Phnom Penh really is a charming capital city. I wish more people would give it a chance instead of just flying into Siem Reap and back out again.

Guest fountainhall

Agree entirely with kenrfc about Phnom Penh. It has tremendous atmosphere. a Royal Palace that's more beautiful than the one in Bangkok, some lovely crumblng colonial architecture, great restaurants, and much else to see. Plus I think everyone should once in their lives shed a tear at the infamous Tuol Sleng Museum and the Killing Fields, to remind ourselves of the unimaginable horrors these beautiful people had to endure.