TotallyOz

Apple now selling Unlocked Iphone on website

Without any fanfare or major announcement, I have been watching the Apple Online Store to start selling the Unlocked IPhone 4s with Siri around the 15th of November. I wanted the unlocked so I can use in Thailand and Brazil and Europe when I travel and I did not want to get a contract for one of the carriers.

Today, it is possible. The 4s is for sale on apple.com

The prices are steep but I have played with this device and it is great.

Guest thaiworthy

Michael,

My existing iphone4 is with AT&T, but that contract expires in June. I should be able to use this in Thailand with a local company then, can't I? I did that before with my previous iphone3, when I gave it to the boyfriend. But, will it still sync with iTunes, even though it's unlocked?

Also, do you have a link for the unlocked version you mentioned? I tried jaydonny's link, but that's apple.uk

Thanks.

Michael,

My existing iphone4 is with AT&T, but that contract expires in June. I should be able to use this in Thailand with a local company then, can't I? I did that before with my previous iphone3, when I gave it to the boyfriend. But, will it still sync with iTunes, even though it's unlocked?

Also, do you have a link for the unlocked version you mentioned? I tried jaydonny's link, but that's apple.uk

Thanks.

ATT locks their phones. You can't use the sim unless you get it unlocked. If you do that, you can't update it with ITunes every time a new version comes out. Most of the carriers in USA are now unlocking after 60 days. I know Verizon and Sprint do. Not sure about ATT.

For the link just go to apple.com and click on the phone and pick your color and there is an area at bottom after carriers that allows you to pick unlocked. Click it and order online. I can't find any place in Southern California that has it in stock. :( I hope this helps.

If you are in Thailand, you can buy from the Apple Store Thailand website - http://store.apple.c...e/family/iphone - they show the iPhone4 is 20,900 Baht and it is unlocked. The Apple Thailand store is located in Singapore. They have free shipping if order is over a certain amount (2,000 Baht, as I recall). You can also track the shipment online.

A friend ordered a computer from them and it was delivered in 3 or 4 days - no duty charged by Thailand (not sure, but if I recall correctly, Singapore and Thailand have a free trade agreement).