Guest grjm378

Sihanoukville, Cambodia

Guest grjm378

Does any member have up to date information on travelling from Pattaya to SKV by bus ? I understand there is a new road from the border post to Skv now. I would rather travel by bus than part way by boat. Thanks

Does any member have up to date information on travelling from Pattaya to SKV by bus ? I understand there is a new road from the border post to Skv now. I would rather travel by bus than part way by boat. Thanks

There is a thread on another board with some information:

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/cheers-hotel-sihanoukville-great-looking-hotel-t25137.html

However, I woulde appreciate it if you would come back after your trip and give us YOUR information as this seems like a good place to go, but no one seems to know a lot about the particulars.

Guest grjm378

I could not open the Sawatdee website but I have all ready got some info from Cheers Hotel. I will report more fully on my return to Pattaya.

I could not open the Sawatdee website but I have all ready got some info from Cheers Hotel. I will report more fully on my return to Pattaya.

You, and the information would be greatly welcomed. Do come back.

From the Thai border to Sihanoukville is 4 hours on a paved road. I travelled it in the other direction back in December and the Cambodian leg was a pleasant trip (Virak Buntham bus company). The Thai side wasn't pleasant, due to a shambolic minibus operation.

A frequent traveller on that route said there was a fast full sized bus service from Pattaya to Trat, so getting that followed by a taxi or minibus direct to the border could work & would be my approach for any future visits.

Guest fountainhall

Anyone considering a trip to Sihanoukville might find this New York Times article to be of interest. It is a feature for more affluent travellers and written by someone who was based in Kep, a village some 50 miles away from Sihanoukville. But there are also fascinating descriptions of the general area. It also seems that hotel and other developers will descend on this coast very soon, so best to experience its natural beauty sooner rather than later.

http://travel.nytime...agewanted=3

Kep is a very quiet seaside resort. For any one who is on a long holiday & wants to stay somewhere really peaceful for a couple of days, it would be worth a visit. Easily reached by tuk tuk from Kampot.

However, some of the islands around Sihanoukville were really special & if time is limited, I would go to them first.

This site generally has best info re all TH/KH borderposts and travels to: talesofasia.com

It is bepek-oriented, so shuns PTY.

Starting from PTY: best is likely (I also have the prejudice that people staying there mainly there have too soft bums for normal buses and dislike the travel without BF/GF anyway) to go to any tr-agent and ASK about any package-all in minibus to that border and possible onward connecction. whateevr they try to sell you, there is NO and NOT any bus crossing borders TH-KH.

IF familiair with how things work in Th and not too afraid of culture shock and all that: there are 4 daily buses running via Sukhumvit and end at CHANTAburi-with an easy and immediate onward conn. to Trat. These are the buses that give them a bad name: stop everywhere and forever.

IT often works out much faster to first head North-Cholburi town, and then take any of the hourly buses running BKk-Chantaburi or even Trat. This means you have to open mouth and ask things to people-a horrific plan for the current www-generation.

That Virak Buntam bus runs just 1/day and you need an early sytart from trat to catch it. ANY local guesthse (there are 12+-all are dirtcheap and clusetred together south of market along river can set you up.

The ''new'' road is indeed KH side and now open since at least 3 yrs-how modern is that. And yes, the former boat border-Sih.ville has thus ceased

Finally: normal sites aimed at bekpekkersetc are generally best for the most uptodate info on these matters, not a site like this, where half the responders try to steer you to ''gayfriendly'' entrepreneurs. Think of lonelyplanet/thorntree, travelfish. All KH buses are on canbypublications.com. as Trat is so close by Koh Chang: google for I-guide-Koh-Chang or so-updated real info. NOT tripadvisor-thats for complete softies who have to have someone holding their hand for just leaving an airport.

QAny recommendations on what bus to take from phnom phen to Sihanouckville. Also found good information on this site which has a bus company not on your site. Lookling for best first class vip bus.

http://www.canbypublications.com/sihanoukville-cambodia/sihanoukville-travel.htm

I took the Phnom Penh Sorya Bus to Kep & then went onto Kampot & Sihanoukville from there.

The bus to Kep was over an hour late starting, so on principle I suggest you take one of the other companies. Probably book the day before too, in order to assure a seat.

The Virak Buntham bus to the border was only 15 minutes late starting & they seem to run from Phnom Penh too.

Both buses were a little battered, however the seats were comfortable & the aircon worked well.