TotallyOz

What are options for a 40 something year old to retire to Gay Thailand?

I am still about 5 years away from retirement age and one of the frustrating things about traveling to Thailand is the visa I have to get. Last year I got a One Year business visa but I still had to do border runs every 90 days. It is a real PITA. What is the best way for someone not of retirement age to live there legally and not have to do the border runs?

Guest thaiworthy

Well, I never said it would be easy. I'm 61 and I'm going to try it. The failure rate of farang over 60 is high. The odds of someone succeeding at age 45 are better than zero the way I see it, relatively speaking. At least, it would buy you a year or two. By then you will have figured something else out. You're a smart guy. Anyone who knows what you have accomplished professionally in the world wide web would have would say this should be a no-brainer. And you are not giving yourself enough credit.

Look at it this way, it will certainly impress the boyfriends. Mebbe not as much as a new cell phone or motorbike, but those are just material things anyway. I hope this was helpful. I don't often get to advise others who are so much more successful with most things than I am.

Good luck, with whatever you decide to do.

I am still about 5 years away from retirement age and one of the frustrating things about traveling to Thailand is the visa I have to get.

Must be a very early retirement ^_^ . Actually, I have similar plans for about 4~5 years time too.

Quoting lexusgs, from Gaybuttonthailand forum: "Just wanted to help on the visa run front. It is possible now to get a 3 month stay stamped in your passport at the Immigration Office via a 3rd part visa co. The cost is quite high(started at 15,000 bht but got it down to 12,000 bht) After being around for so long it i worth it for me not having to do border runs. It was stamped as an extension of stay. Whether it's totally legal another thing but I guess someones palms are getting oiled ....lol"

Link to thread: http://gaybuttonthai...&p=44575#p44575

No doubt a pm to lexusgs would get you more details.

Wouldn't another option be to take a proper foreign holiday with the visa run? There are loads of interesting destinations one plane ride away. Luang Prabang, Hanoi, Phnom Penh, Siem Reap & many others.

The Pattaya City Expats Club has a webpages listing the most common reasons for Immigration giving a long stay extension along with requirements/documents:

http://www.pattayaci...tendingStay.pdf

Until you reach age 50, the most common are Education, Business, or Married/Related to a Thai. Although studying Thai used to get you a one year extension, Immigration has cracked down and for most are granting 90 day extensions - so, every 90 days, back to Immigration with paperwork from the school and 1,900 Baht for the extension. But, after getting a few extensions, don't be surprised if the Immigration Officer speaks to you in Thai and expects a certain amount of comprehension (source for that tidbit is Barry, the former UK Honorary Consul that works as an "Immigration Assistant" at the Jomtien Soi 5 Immigration Office).

But, if you enroll in a course of study at a University, it is my understanding that you can recieve extensions for a longer period dependent on the requirements of the course of study. Near Pattaya is Asian University that has both undergraduate and graduate programs taught in English. For more information, their website is: http://www.asianust.ac.th/

The Pattaya City Expat Club website mentioned above also has a link to the English version of the Immigration Police Order that lists all categories (reasons) that Immigration can give a long stay extension up to a year. That webpage is http://www.pattayaci...sion%202008.pdf

What is the best way for someone not of retirement age to live there legally and not have to do the border runs?

Legally? None as far as I know. You could do that education visa or business visa, I suppose, but, absent one of those two avenues, enjoy the 90-day out-of-country runs!

Guest travelerjim

But, if you enroll in a course of study at a University, it is my understanding that you can recieve extensions for a longer period dependent on the requirements of the course of study. Near Pattaya is Asian University that has both undergraduate and graduate programs taught in English. For more information, their website is: http://www.asianust.ac.th/

Michael,

This idea may prove to be a very good one for you...

earn your MBA at Asean University...beautiful campus close to Jomtien.

Taught in English and you would be a very welcomed MBA student...

with two years of study..with ED Visa too.

I would even think after your graduation, you would be invited to become a professor with your wide experience with IT and the internet...

that would also grant you an EdVisa :-0

Just imagine, "Professor Michael"...

FYI...the late Dr Allan Briggs taught Thai Business law at Asian for 10 years.

His salary was in the range of 70,000 - 75,000 Thai baht monthly.

I was also invited to talk to the MBA class one Saturday morning...

regarding sales, business and marketing in America. I enjoyed the

opportunity to relate to the MBA students. They were engaging and most interested.

Asian U has two programs...one which is weekends only...

that is what I would recommend for you.

tj

Guest fountainhall

Just imagine, "Professor Michael"...

Just imagine, indeed! ;)

But Professor of what, I wonder? The Arts and Crafts of Gay Nightlife? :p

Thanks Jim. I appreciate it. I had looked into a few programs in Bangkok a while ago and may look again. The older I get the less desire I have to return to school. But, it is a good option. I much prefer to just retire and not work or do anything (other than bar hop) but I'll have to come up with something for 5 years until I get to the retirement age.

FH, I was thinking more along the lines of teaching Thai Sexuality: A Hands On Approach. :) The course would be limited to males over 18 who are Thai nationals and undergone a professor private physical exam. :)

Guest thaiworthy
FH, I was thinking more along the lines of teaching Thai Sexuality: A Hands On Approach. :) The course would be limited to males over 18 who are Thai nationals and undergone a professor private physical exam. :)

Michael, great idea! There are some textbooks I wrote on the subject that you could use in your curriculum. Koko wrote the preface and Khor Tose did the illustrations. I would post the art herein, but alas, it would violate the board rules, and I don't want Z909 coming down on me. (No pun intended) (Ok, the pun was intended but it would never happen anyway.)

I'm sure your students will bring an Apple for the teacher, and I don't mean the fruit variety.

If any of your students misbehave, i would have to keep them after school and get out my paddle.

Class dismissed.