kokopelli

Piston Engine Prop Commercial Planes

I was watching a TV show on commercial flights in Alaska where they were using two and four engine piston engine prop planes. It reminded me of the one and only time I few on one of those planes. It was a Lockheed Constellation on a very short flight from San Francisco to Oakland, Calif, about 15 minutes. That was in 1967 just about the time the Constellations ended service. All I remember was the vibration! Can't imagine what a long flight would be like. Anyone have any experiences in any of these older aircraft?

post-9743-0-61418000-1337649872_thumb.jpg

Yes, but mostly military, c-130, c-123, u-6, u-8, and several versions of Air America planes. Mostly noisy. However, I have taken several commercial flights in a DC3. The service and seating were so good, I don't remember any noise. Booze served, two seats by 2 seats, soft red felt on the seats, attentive stewardesses, ah I wax nostalgic.

I made several short-haul flights in prop planes in the early 60's. I believe they were DC-3's but I don't know that for sure (all I can remember for sure is the planes had aluminum skins and two prop engines). Generally, loud as hell and most of the flights were bumpy as hell. I remember landing a couple of times during rain storms (once in the midst of a lot of lightning) and being frightened as hell.

Guest fountainhall

Showing my age, alas, yes! My first ever short flight was in a DC3 as a teenager. You entered at the back and then had to clamber uphill to get to the seats. It was a windy day and we were tossed all over the place. But it was the most exciting 15 minutes of my life to that point!

In the UK, I later had several flights on the old airline BEA (British European Airlines, later merged with BOAC British Overseas Airlines to become BA) prop-powered Viscounts and the larger Vanguards (turbo props rather than piston engines, though). Both had four engines, the Viscount seated 30 - 40 and had a speed of around 275 mph, whilst the larger Vanguard had 140 seats and a speed of around 420 mph

Viscount Take-off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQo77bO028I

One flight I remember particularly well was in 1972. A Vanguard had crashed over Belgium a few months earlier, a result of the failure of the rear pressure bulkhead, and for several months all others were limited to a maximum height of 10,000 feet.

Our flight from London to Salzburg was like a roller coaster - going sideways! - as the pilots tried to avoid the heavy clouds that would have had the plane being tossed around. They succeeded pretty well until we made the descent into Salzburg. The area was surrounded by heavy cloud and we were bumping our way down. Suddenly we hit a big air pocket, dropped for a couple of seconds, and there outside our window was the side of a mountain. The friend I was travelling with was terrified, so he had got out his bottle of duty free gin and poured a tumblerful into a plastic glass. Whilst dropping, the glass had left his hand and hit the luggage rack. All I remember thereafter was the sight of him, hands clasping the seat arms in terror, head back and mouth open - with drops of gin falling nicely onto his tongue! We made it safely on to the tarmac for our trip to Mozart's town!

I'm not particularly interested in planes. Because of poor eyesight I never got the plane-spotting bug that infected many of my schoolfriends.

My earliest flight was in 1967 between Ringway airport, Manchester and Montreal, Canada (Dorval airport I think). We were spending the summer with my uncle and aunt to coincide with Expo 67. I have no idea what kind of plane that would have been.

It would be interesting to know whether flying is actually safer these days compared with the sixties and seventies. Stories such as that recounted by FH would suggest it is a lot safer! :)

Guest fountainhall

The statistics show it is vastly more safe now. I am sure they also show that in terms of fatalities it is the safest of all forms of transportation.

Firstly, I meant to post this topic in the Beer Bar but erred

Fountainhall's description of a bumpy ride did bring back an unpleasant memory of my first commercial air flight in a twin engine turbo prop plan ( The second leg of the trip was in the 4 engine Constellation). The thing bounced around like a cork in the ocean; kind of reminded me of my un-fav movie, The Grey, where there was a harrowing scene of Alaskan oil workers flying in an old DC-3.

Guest fountainhall

The smallest commercial plane I've been on was a single engine prop float plane out of Vancouver. I love they way these take off from and land on the water They're great for going up north for sightseeing over the mountains, or across to Vancouver Island.

post-1892-0-76130300-1337702708_thumb.jpg

Guest fountainhall

Almost forgot that the smallest 'plane' I was on as a passenger was a 2-seater microlite. Anyone been on these? They are amazing! Cramped and slightly frightening at first, but then you feel truly birdlike.

Preparing for departure

post-1892-0-97400600-1337751421_thumb.jpg

Guest snapshot

Don't know the difference between turbo and piston props but I've flown in a few turbo-props... ATR-72 many times (v common for short-haul around Asia), C-130 several times (have never thrown up on any other plane but 100% track record of throwing up on this type) and a few other little one and two engine props, which I forget the names of.

Guest fountainhall

I'm curious. The C-130 is a 4-engine turbo prop. But this is no passenger plane. It is a large tactical military aircraft for the transport of equipment like tanks, general cargo and troops. No civilian carrier uses this plane for passengers. It's only other non-military use is for the Red Cross. Where did you fly it "several times"?

I always wondered what it was that made paras jump.... until one day I spent a couple of hours circuit bashing, with high cross winds, in a Herc. At least HM Government paid me to do that!

Last DC3 I flew in was a Spantax aircraft between Spanish Mediterranean Islands and that was a long time ago. Spotted a large collection of DC3s at San Juan, Puerto Rico, about 15 years ago.

Guest snapshot

Sorry, FH... that one's a long and involving story and might reveal more than I want.

So I'm not the only one who felt like throwing up in a Herc each time then, Billy. I wonder what it is... I've done shaky low level flights in other prop aircraft but they were all civilian aircraft with nice big windows where you sit facing forward instead of facing inside. I felt sick but never to the point of throwing up as I did in the Hercs. The only minor relief is when the back ramp was left open. One of the load masters told me he throws up once a week...

Guest fountainhall

Sorry, FH... that one's a long and involving story and might reveal more than I want.

You were always a one for disguises, weren't you! But you don't have me fooled now. Finally, we know. You're James Bond! All this gay business is a mere charade. You just like to bed every pretty girl around - up in those C-130s :p

Actually many civilians did fly in C-130s; I know from personal experience but do not wish to reveal those details.

The US military provides transportation to and from Christ Church NZ to McMurdo Station, Antarctica. The personnel at this research station are primarily civilian scientists and support staff. And can honestly say I never got sick during any of these flights. Perhaps "James BL Bond" was on a similar mission for the Australian Government who did posses C-130s at one time.

Although a more likely scenario was that Mr.Bond was on board one of the C-130s used by Israel during its raid on Entebbe in 1976 which would explain his reluctance to delve into his experience. But then he wasn't even born before 1976, or was he?

Actually more then several. Inside the c-130 you have canvas strap seats where you sit. This is the only photo I can find and it is copyrighted.

C-130 seat

In all the c-130's I flew the seats where GI green and not red. I thought you can get around fourty people inside one, but according to some specs you can get 92!

The3 c123 is the same seating, but much smaller.

Guest fountainhall

In all the c-130's I flew the seats where GI green and not red.

Were you ever sick? And, as Mr. Snapshot observed, did the load masters throw up every week?

No, I never suffered from motion sickness, but many did. Heck, once to avoid a thunderstorm we flew at 20,000 ft without Ox and I was fine in spite of smoking two packs a day. However, the pilot developed a headache, and got dizzy and we had to return to base.