TotallyOz

Korean Air from LAX to Bangkok on the new A380 Jumbo: Review

I am so glad I took this flight. It was so easy and comfortable.

First, no lines at LAX for baggage. A breeze.

The VIP Lounge was OK but nothing special.

The plane ride was fantastic. The seats were very comfortable and laid all the way down. It was the best ride I had in Business Class in ages. I was able to lay face down and there was room for my wide ass and my 6'3" body. The Video monitors were the biggest I have seen and very easy to control. They were clear and enjoyable. They did NOT have a large variety of videos so if you are going to Seoul and then to Bangkok, bring something to read or another video for your PC.

The Business Class seats had a place to plug in the laptop and phone.

I really, thoroughly enjoyed my ride! Perhaps the best thing was the lounge area at the top and back of the business class section. The entire 2nd Floor is Business/First. It had 23 rows of 6 seats each. There was at least one attendant for each 4 or 5 rows. Service was excellent.

The Lounges gave free drinks and mixed cocktails. It was also easy to stretch and just break up the monotony of the sitting. I meet a few nice guys and sat and chatted for a few hours. It really made the time go back fast! I also loved being able to stretch my legs out. No sore knees or swollen feet today!

The connection in Seoul was very tight and I left my plane, rushed to the next one and got in just as they called Last Call. It is only 50 min so you have to be careful to not dilly dally.

Luggage came in safe and sound. I always travel with more than the allotment and the cost for each additional bag was 200 USD.

The ticket cost 4200 USD for Business. As Delta's upgradable fares were higher, I am glad I went this route and I'll even use my points on Delta.

I have attached a few photos. I hope you enjoy them and get a sense of the plane.

I loved this ride and the new A380's are now my favorite thing in the sky!

A380_Business_Lounge.jpg

A380BusinessSeats.jpg

A380Business.jpg

This sounds great, mainly.

What I don't get is why do they compromise the range of movies for in flight entertainment?

If you find the range limiting on the first flight, how's a regular flier going to cope?

Having spent all that money on the plane, why not install a few more 2 TB drives?

I don't get the lack of movies either but for me, it was not a deal breaker. I watched 3 or 4 good ones and then I chatted and moved a bit more than normal. If I take the flight again, I'd just take a few CD's along with me for the ride.

Guest thaiworthy
If I take the flight again, I'd just take a few CD's along with me for the ride.

CDs? You don't have iTunes and an iPhone?

Guest fountainhall

I am glad you like the A380. It’s also my plane of choice and I take the Emirates flight to/from HKG regularly. The upper deck is also only first and business with a stand-up bar area at the back before the galleys.

Emirates stagger the business class seating so each row is effectively 1-2-1. It’s wonderfully comfortable even though the staggering makes it look more cluttered. The great thing is that most of the seats, apart from 2 in the centre every second row, are essentially individual cabins with a table area and little personal mini-bar at the side of the seat. The seat itself fully reclines with mattresses put on top. When reclined, your feet have tons of room under the table of the seat in front.

Where Emirates clearly differ from Korean is the in-flight entertainment. The screens are the biggest I have ever seen on aircraft, and Emirates has hundreds of movies. I sometimes listen to classical music, and they have a selection that would make most music libraries proud with well over 2,000 hours of listening – just for classical!

post-1892-0-53861500-1337745857_thumb.jpg

post-1892-0-08538300-1337745919_thumb.jpg

post-1892-0-04460500-1337745941_thumb.jpg

CDs? You don't have iTunes and an iPhone?

Haha. Yes, I do but I can't see them on the IPhone. I can view them in ITunes. I just bought the entire Sex in the City box sex and should have brought it with me for the trip. Next time. :)

I am glad you like the A380. It’s also my plane of choice and I take the Emirates flight to/from HKG regularly. The upper deck is also only first and business with a stand-up bar area at the back before the galleys.

Emirates stagger the business class seating so each row is effectively 1-2-1.

It is now my plane for choice for sure. What I find interesting is that the American Airlines suck. Big Time IMHO and they don't make flying enjoyable any more. Do they not realize they will loose their customers to other airlines if they don't start catering to them a bit more?

So for Emirates, FH, I guess they have two less seats per isles more than Korean. I bet that is much much more comfortable!

Guest fountainhall

It's difficult to describe the Emirates cabin. In fact, they have 8 seats across, but because they stagger the rows very effectively, there are in fact only 4 seats - they just have more rows!

I looked up my next booking and tried to copy the seating chart, but it won't copy. So here is a rough drawing to show how it works -

post-1892-0-67256100-1337757157_thumb.jpg

Or you can see it on this site -

http://www.seatguru....rbus_A380_B.php

It looks more cramped than Korean, but the space allocation works wonderfully well, and I love the feeling of being virtually in my own little suite. Plus the seats are wider than they would be if all 8 were packed along one row, although they are definitely not as wide as the KE seats.

As I mentioned earlier, at the side of each seat is a table with a minibar and a control unit which pops out. This controls all the IFE plus your seat settings. Very nifty!

Disk drives are laughably cheap but the licensing fees are not.

Michael just paid $4200 for his seat. Going to see the movies at the cinema would cost less than $10 & the cinema has all the overheads to pay. Besides, if Emirates have loads of movies, the Koreans would need to raise their game to be competitive.

Guest fountainhall

There's another area where no other airline can compete. Anyone going first class on Emirates - or lucky enough to be upgraded - can use one of two on-board showers (not room enough for two people, though :angry: )

Haha. Yes, I do but I can't see them on the IPhone. I can view them in ITunes. I just bought the entire Sex in the City box sex and should have brought it with me for the trip. Next time. :)

It is now my plane for choice for sure. What I find interesting is that the American Airlines suck. Big Time IMHO and they don't make flying enjoyable any more. Do they not realize they will loose their customers to other airlines if they don't start catering to them a bit more?

So for Emirates, FH, I guess they have two less seats per isles more than Korean. I bet that is much much more comfortable!

Iphone?? What you mean you got rid of that piece of shit Nokia?? How come you didn't fill up your IPAd with Desperate Housewives?