Bob

Preah Vihear Temple

As one would expect, the ex-PAD wackos, Sondhi Limongkul and Chamlong Srimuang, are calling for Thailand to reject the ICJ's jurisdiction and apparently are calling for a military solution.

One has to wonder where Thailand finds total idiots like this but I suppose such fringe boneheads exist in almost every country.  Sondhi, being his own incredibly wacky self, even said (according to the article) "that Thailand should not be run by politicians for a few years."  Mr. Democracy he ain't!

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Chamlong-Sondhi-urge-Thais-to-reject-ICJ-verdict-30219325.html

Now I'd quite like to visit this from the Cambodia side, without paying $120 for a taxi. 

That's perfectly reasonable.

Anyone who hasn't visited Angkor Wat or Preah Vihear before can do the former and as Z says continue on to Preah Vihear by road. The Cambodian authorities are keen to build a road right up to the temple (i.e. not just to the foot of the cliff as at present). As far as I understand it seems that will now be possible. No doubt in time there will be coach parties leaving from Angkor / Siem Reap to do just that . . . I don't know the state of the road so maybe that's some way off yet. Z, would there not be minivans doing this run? Apart from being driven by madmen, they'd be a lot cheaper than a taxi (unless, as you say, you could fill a taxi and divide the fare by 3).