TotallyOz

Chiang Mai or Bust

On my next long trip to Thailand, I am considering living in Chiang Mai for the year. I have spent a few months there at PJ's Place and at the Sheraton a few other hotels but never in an apartment and in a living full time kind of thing.

The BF has said it was fine for him and enjoys Chiang Mai. I have looked into housing and they seem much more reasonable than Bangkok or Pattaya. It seem that there are not real executive apartments that offer everything you can get in Bangkok at like the Marriott or other full serviced apartments. But, that said, it is something I really want to try.

For those of you living there, what area do you prefer? What do you find is the best and worst thing about living in Chiang Mai? Do you find the commute to Bangkok difficult when you are connecting on International flights? Is there an easy place to do a visa run from Chiang Mai? Do you find the quality of medical care there the same as or different than Bangkok or Pattaya?

I don't need boys as I have my long term boyfriend who will live with me there but I do occasionally like to venture out. On my last stay there, I preferred the massage houses to the gogo/beer bars. But, that has been several years ago, has the gogo scene improved?

For those of you living there, what area do you prefer? What do you find is the best and worst thing about living in Chiang Mai? Do you find the commute to Bangkok difficult when you are connecting on International flights? Is there an easy place to do a visa run from Chiang Mai? Do you find the quality of medical care there the same as or different than Bangkok or Pattaya?

I don't need boys as I have my long term boyfriend who will live with me there but I do occasionally like to venture out. On my last stay there, I preferred the massage houses to the gogo/beer bars. But, that has been several years ago, has the gogo scene improved?

Sorry for pasting all of that here but I won't remember your questions if I don't. 

The area I and most falangs I know prefer around here is the west end.  The river area is a bit more touristy and always has a lot more falang whereas the west end seems to be a bit more trendy (especially the Nimman Road area) and simply the area I like a whole lot more.  By the way, I'm sure Khortose will add better information than I will do.

The best thing about living here.  I personally live here for three reasons - the beloved of 12+ years lives/works here, the weather is much better/cooler here, and there seems to me to be more of a laid-back attitude up here.  And, while I shouldn't say it, the last two items are probably the biggest reasons I live here.  On the other hand, I know Chiangmai better than any other area of Thailand and I think many of us tend to feel more comfortable with whatever it is we know best.

I almost never go to Bangkok (I consider it just a huge, hot, stinky city and I don't like to shop).....sorry, just my personal view; regardless, I think our airport is easy to use and I can't see how you'd have any problems in flying back if forth if that was your preference.  When I used to use EVA for years (their flights leave Bangkok about 4:30 in the afternoon), it was easy and convenient to get connecting flights.  Now, however, when I go back to the states for the summer, I use Korean Air and that's most excellent (Chicago to Seoul and then direct to Chiangmai).  Flying direct to Chiangmai for me has huge benefits - Chiangmai immigration is a breeze, you're never more than 20 minutes or so from the airport to your destination, and it shortens the trips going through Bangkok by a whole lot of hours.

Can't comment about visa runs....don't do them as I have a retirement visa.  I do know, however, that a visa run via Mae Sai is not easy, short, or all that comfortable.  If you're coming for a year, why the heck not just get a retirement visa while you're in the states?  Didn't there used to be a Thai consulate in Houston or some such place?  If you do that, then all you have to do is go report your address to immigration every 90 days. By the way, if you have a long-term visa and wish to leave the country now and then, you typicallly need a re-entry permit (I have a multiple so I could come and go as I please) or you'll blow your long-term visa when you leave.

I generally hear compliments about the medical care here.  Once or twice a year, I go over to RAM for some minor thing and always felt they took care of me very well (and unbelievably cheaply). But can't compare it to Bangkok or Pattaya as never had any medical care there (the only other place here I've had medical care was at Sao Paulo Hospital in Hua Hin and I thought that was perfectly fine).

I haven't been to a massage place in at least a year+ but there is a fairly good selection of places to choose. My prior favorites were One2Come and Oriental Mystic Massage. As to the gogo bars, I don't go often enough to be entitled to an opinion (they're not my thing and the occasional ladyboy act drives me batty).  To be honest, most of the expats I know who live here hardly ever go to them either.  Has the gogo scene "improved?"  I doubt it (I was at Adam's Apple a couple of months ago and it was about the same as it was in 2005 and 2000!). 

If you like discos you might really like the fairly new and upscale Sea Man Bar on Canal Road. Somebody told me that Mandalay is also re-opened now. I've only been in Sea Man a few times and that was last year but they do have some very good looking dudes to really dance.  Regardless, it's too noisy and dark for me so I won't be returning anytime soon.  As for Mandalay, haven't been in there in years (discos aren't my thing). 

Okay...I'll let Khortose or somebody else add their two cents.  Meanwhile, if you get serious about your plans to stay up here a year, please give us some advance notice.  The male population probably needs to be warned. :p

Guest colinr

For a visa run Mae Sot may be easier than Mae Sai as it has an airport and there are flights from Chiang Mai. There's no transport at the airport so you need to arrange for your hotel to pick you up (or you can walk towards the town centre and hope for a motorbike). You can get a song taeow to the border which is out of town a bit. Miyawaddy on the Burmese side is nicer than Tachilek - no big market, no juvenile beggars and a nice beer garden overlooking the river.

Guest fountainhall

Since you really enjoy Bangkok (hello Hero  :hi:), why not split your time by spending half in Chiang Mai and half in Bangkok? A year's a long time!

Since you really enjoy Bangkok (hello Hero  :hi:), why not split your time by spending half in Chiang Mai and half in Bangkok? A year's a long time!

That is probably a good idea. I always feel the need to find a long term place but then I get antsy. :)  I do love Bangkok and Hero. :)  But, the prices there are more than 3-5 times what I have found in Chiang Mai.  That is a vast difference.

If I could find a decent place near Siam Paragon area that is cheap and nice, I'd just get it year round and then visit other cities. But, it seems hard to do and I have been looking for a bit. 

My last stay in Bangkok I was at the Sathorn Ascott.  I love it but it was near 90k a month. I just prefer that if I am going to spend that kind of money that I stay there all the time as opposed to part time. 

I wonder if Hero would just rent out one of their rooms to me for a few months? They have a restaurant there and I wouldn't need to leave that often. :) Of course the bf hates the place. :) 

Guest fountainhall

So my cousin has gone into the realty business! He might have told me first! :shok:  Mind you, I trust he'll give me a big discount on the sauna entrance.  :good:

from bangkok post

Wide areas of Lampang, Mae Hong Son and Phrae provinces have been blanketed with haze that the public health office says could be hazardous.

The recorded levels of particulate matter smaller than 10 microns (PM10) in those areas have exceeded the safety limit of 120 microgrammes per cubic metre (ug/cu m), said Prayad Ananpradit, secretary of the command centre in charge of tackling air pollution in the nine upper northern provinces.

Phrae had the highest level of PM10 on Thursday, with dust particles reaching 205 ug/cu m, followed by Lampang with 159 ug/cu m and Mae Hong Son with 142 ug/cu m.

In Lampang, intense smoke was reported to have spread to most parts of the province.

The public health office said the air pollution could aggravate breathing problems for residents.

Suvit Kattiyavong, director of the Regional Environmental Office 2 in Lampang, said the agency restricts fires lit by farmers on their farmland.

However, people are continuing to slash and burn in local forested areas.

The fires contribute significantly to the haze problem.

its every year 4/5 months id forget it

more on the haze

MAE HONG SON, March 18 - Illegal 'slash and burn' agriculture in Thailand's North has worsened the air quality in this northern province where dust particles have reached the record level of 200 microgrammes per cubic metre, a health official said today.

Mae Hong Son health officer Paisal Tanyavinitkul said the smog and dust from forest fires has covered this northern province for over a week and the health office has provided 30,000 masks for distribution to people.

People have been told to wear masks when they leave homes and refrain from outdoor exercise, said the doctor.

An air quality survey by the Office of Natural Resources and Environment found 31 hot spots throughout Mae Hong Son, including the tourist town of Pai where an average 24-hour dust level was measured at 205 microgrammes.

Children and elderly people at risk at this dust level, according to the office. The standard level is 120 microgrammes.

During March 3-10, hospitals in Mae Hong Son treated 1,049 patients for heart and coronary artery diseases, and 923 people with respiratory diseases. (MCOT online news)

That is probably a good idea. I always feel the need to find a long term place but then I get antsy. :)  I do love Bangkok and Hero. :)  But, the prices there are more than 3-5 times what I have found in Chiang Mai.  That is a vast difference.

If I could find a decent place near Siam Paragon area that is cheap and nice, I'd just get it year round and then visit other cities. But, it seems hard to do and I have been looking for a bit. 

My last stay in Bangkok I was at the Sathorn Ascott.  I love it but it was near 90k a month. I just prefer that if I am going to spend that kind of money that I stay there all the time as opposed to part time. 

I wonder if Hero would just rent out one of their rooms to me for a few months? They have a restaurant there and I wouldn't need to leave that often. :) Of course the bf hates the place. :)

The difference in CM and Bangkok or Pattaya is like night and day.  I don't see how a gay Bangkokian or Pattayan would be happy in CM (and vice versa).  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my visits to CM, but those are not tears rolling down my cheeks when I have to leave (yes it's the air quality).  I say keep your base in Bangkok.  There is a condo building right behind the St. Regis at the Ratchamri BTS.  They lost their views when they built the St. Regis and now there are many rentals and vacancies.  The rents are very cheap, 15-18K.  The location is ideal with high-end properties and shopping near-by (Grand Hyatt, 4 Seasons, Central World, etc.).  Check it out.