Guest oriapplepie

Moving to Thailand?

Guest oriapplepie

Hey guys :D I'm back in HK now but my man plans to move to Thailand for long term. We checked the housing agents that I can get a working visa via purchasing an apartment which is around 4 mil baht. My man has just reached the requirement for retirement visa, the problem is on me since I'm mid 30s only. Will that be enough for a start?

Guest travelerjim

Why anyone would want to invest 4 Million Thai baht in Thailand at this time...

with unsettling economic and political situation in Thailand...

is not a good idea IMHO.

Housing marketplace weak...leases cheap on quality properties.

OK to move to Thailand..

Lease a property...

For those under retirement age...Study...

Get a Educational Visa...study Thai language..OR.

Go to a Thai university...earn a Bachelor's degree or Master's.

After several years...then look at your options.

Good luck...

tj

Guest abang1961

As the Yingluck government is "downloading" its stockpile of rice (1800 tonnes) into the open market, the price of rice had stumbled USD120 over the past year.  As long as the current situation prevails, I don't see a miracle happening.  Yes I think the economy outlook of Thailand seems to be bleak.  It will take at least a couple of years to regain its former glory.  

#2 is correct ... the property market yields low return.  The range of rentals of an apartment is less than 1/3 what we would likely to pay in HK and/or Singapore.  Don't listen to real estate agents that the trough/drought has ended.  We are only seeing the tip of an (submerging) iceberg here.  Buying an apartment is not more lucrative than renting one.  At least, you don't have to worry about the stamp fee, maintenance fee and lousy neighbours.   

Guest oriapplepie

Oh dear, then we need to have plan again :) Our original plan was to buy an apartment under my name to live there. But guess that's not worth it. I guess it's better to check the college :) Going back to college.............. wow......... that's a tempting offer XD I feel 16 again just thinking of it XD I will keep u guys updated 

I believe the notion that anybody can get a visa in exchange for buying or investing in a 4 million baht apartment is erroneous.  Never heard of that one before. 

Same here. There is (or used to be) something like an Investment Visa, but I think the amount was (or still is) 10 million baht. A condo might qualify, but I'm not sure about that and in any case it would then have to be quite an expensive one.

I agree with those who've argued that now isn't a good time to invest in Thailand. I'd wait and see how things develop, and even the political situation aside, other nearby countries might well steal the show. Another reason why I've so far always rented instead of buying a condo in Bangkok is maintenance, or the lack thereof. Once you've bought a place, you're pretty much locked in if the condo management is crappy and allows the common areas to deteriorate (and that's not uncommon here). Renting, on the other hand, you can move to a shiny new place if something's wrong or if you don't like how the neighborhood is developing.

Guest oriapplepie

but it is written in the giv website that it takes 2 mil baht per peraon only and no mention of continous pumping $ fir 3 years. My bf is trying to get me type B visa

Presuming you mean "gov" website, kindly attach the url to the site where you say the language is contained. Thanks. 

You said in your opening post that " We checked the housing agents that I can get a working visa via purchasing an apartment which is around 4 mil baht."  It is that language/notion that some of us here are saying is erroneous.    

START with giving full details-your nationality-it differs per nation.

Do NOT expect any exhaustive info on a site like this, it may surpirse you, that the Thai do not make any difference in this if youre gay or not, but nationality does. So find much more elaborate info on a site like thaivisa, which is made for this. AND think about your options-its not a matter of yes/no stay indefinetlly, but there are multiple ways to stay ''forever'' with short ''borderrun'' trips as they say every 3 or 6 monthes. A real working visa is quite another matter-this has to be organised by the employer. To the utter surprise of many a USAer, you are not at all free to just come and work, as is the case in most other non-US countries too, and in fact also for non-USAers visiting that country.

but it is written in the giv website that it takes 2 mil baht per peraon only and no mention of continous pumping $ fir 3 years. My bf is trying to get me type B visa

You're probably referring to something else, to a visa extension based on employment: If you want to apply for such an extension of stay for a Non-Immigrant B Visa based on working for a Thai company as a foreigner, one of the requirements is a minimum amount of registered capital per foreign employee. Hence "per person", and that's indeed 2 million baht. But do take note, you don't get this visa extension because of your investment (it could in fact also be sponsored by a company that's owned by someone else), but because you work for that company.

If that's what you mean, also take note that it doesn't stop with this minimum capital requirement: You usually also have to hire Thai employees at a certain ratio (typically 4 per employed foreigner) and the company has to pay you a salary. The minimum amount of this salary - and that's where pong's information comes into play - depends on nationality. For most Westerners, it's 50,000 baht per month.

See http://www.sunbeltlegaladvisors.com/immigration/business-visa/ for a brief overview.

Guest oriapplepie

Thank you guys. I am from Hong Kong and so the capital per person is 2 mil. We shall visit the Thai ambassy in HK tomorrow. Hopefully we may get 1st hand info :)

Guest oriapplepie

Well, well. The embassy in HK gave us the model answer XD but it gave us the idea that better try the study overseas approach. My man can stay in Thailand w retirement status while I stay there to get my degree. Should Thailand legislate same sex marriage, will it mean the spouse of the person w retirement visa can stay as well?

Should Thailand legislate same sex marriage, will it mean the spouse of the person w retirement visa can stay as well?

I believe a foreign spouse of a Thai citizen can apply for some type of special visa status (and/or different rules apply to that spouse) but I'm not aware that a foreign spouse of a foreigner here on a retirement visa has any status or rights whatsoever (i.e., I think you'd have to qualify for your own visa).

I personally don't see Thailand legalizing same sex marriages any time soon (I actually don't see the Thai government doing anything at all very soon as it's currently busy falling apart!). 

Guest oriapplepie

I believe a foreign spouse of a Thai citizen can apply for some type of special visa status (and/or different rules apply to that spouse) but I'm not aware that a foreign spouse of a foreigner here on a retirement visa has any status or rights whatsoever (i.e., I think you'd have to qualify for your own visa).

I personally don't see Thailand legalizing same sex marriages any time soon (I actually don't see the Thai government doing anything at all very soon as it's currently busy falling apart!).

We'll, I submitted my application for undergraduate degree but seems no response. I shall take the IETEL in May and hope it will get me better prepared in round 2 application

You've posted a few things that have made no sense to some of us but at least it now appears understandable that you're trying for an educational visa.  You can check on ThaiVisa or even the Thai immigration website and find out the requirements for that (which are different if you're in the country or out of the country when applying).  Oftentimes, the Thai school in which you've enrolled will help you get that done.

Now....as to what an "IETEL" is or might be, neither I nor Google can figure that out.  What is it?

And in one of your more recent posts you stated "I am from Hong Kong and so the capital per person is 2 mil."  I'm guessing you're again talking about an investment visa?  If so, where might one find authority for that figure? 

When I moved here in 2002, there was a provision for getting a Non Immigrant "O" Visa (90 day permission to stay) and the stay could be extended up to one year and renewed annually if you had 3million Baht invested in a Condo - but this was done away with several years ago.

For someone under 50 and not married to a Thai, most get a Non-Immigrant "ED" Visa (90 day permission to stay) and the stay can be extended up to one year - in the case of studying Thai language, most Immigration offices now only grant 90 day extensions each time - fee is 1,900 Baht for each application for extension - also, you usually have to have paperwork from the school to give to the Thai Embassy/Consulate to obtain the "ED" Visa. Asian University near Pattaya offers many courses which are taught in English - if attending a university,  depending on course of study, extensions may be granted up to one year. In case of interest, here is link to Asian University website:  http://www.asianust.ac.th/index.html

Others use back to back Tourist Visas (60 day permission to stay that can be extended for another 30 days) leaving when their permission to stay expires and getting another Tourist Visa in a neighboring country - however, if you follow visa issues on www.thaivisa.com, many of the Embassies/Consulates may stop granting new visas if they think you have had too many  back to back Tourist Visas   OR get visa exempt entries (30 day stay at airport or 15 days at land border - except passport holders since last November of the Group of 7 countries can get 30 days at land border).  Visa exempt requires frequent border runs.

I have been trying to follow any articles regarding same sex marriage/partnership in Thailand. My interest in the subject is because it would be great if I and my Thai partner of over 20 years could get legal recognition of our relationship. There has been a push in the past year or two for Parliament of legalize same sex domestic partnerships -- there were some public comment sessions going around the country and supporters were hoping to get a law within a few years - BUT, currently Parliament is dissolved and with the political situation the way it is, who knows when there may be elections.

As to foreign spouses of Thai citizens, yes they can get a Non-Immigrant "O" Visa (90 day permission to stay) and have it extended to one year with annual renewals -- if foreign spouse is male, there is a financial requirement, i.e., 400,000 Baht in Thai bank or 40,000 Baht monthly income.  Also, foreign spouses of foreigners with long stay retirement extensions can "piggy back" on their spouse's extension without also having to meet the retirement financial requirements (800,000 Baht in Thai bank or 60,000 Baht in monthly income or a combination of both). Unfortunately, until Thailand adopts same sex marriage, that avenue is not open to gay couples -- I also seem to recall in the articles about legalizing domestic partnerships, that the proposed law would apply only to Thai/Thai and to Thai/foreigner partnership - but not to foreigner/foreigner relationship.

The Pattaya City Expats Club has a fairly informative section on their website regarding Thai visas and immigration requirements - for entry into to Thailand as well as the most common reasons that long term extensions will be granted (retirement, education, marriage, and business) - they also have a link to an English translation of the Thai Immigration Police Order that lists all the reason upon which Thai Immigration can grant extensions of stay.  Website link for PCEC:

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/visa.html

As for original posters situation - I would suggest that both get Tourist visas from Thai Embassy for initial entry into Thailand - that gives 60 day stay with another 30 days if they want it. Or the person that qualifies for retirement could apply for a Non-Immigrant "O" Visa and get a 90 day permission to stay, which can then be extended for a year at Thai Immigration.  This would give time to look around, decide where they may want to set housekeeping, explore educational institutions if they decide the "ED" is best route to go -- selecting the educational institution and getting the necessary paperwork will then require the original poster to take a one or two night visit to a neighboring country to get the Non-Immigrant "ED" Visa.  If the retiree partner gets a Tourist Visa instead of the Non-Immigrant "O", they can convert it to a Non-Immigrant "O" Visa without having to leave Thailand (fee is 2,000 Baht) and then apply for a one year extension (fee 1,900 Baht) - in Bangkok, according to postings on Thaivisa.com, they issue the Non-Immigrant "O" Visa and have you come back 60 days later for the extension. In Pattaya, they do it all in the same day - issue the Non-Immigrant "O" Visa, put in 90 day permission to stay stamp, then immediately thereafter process the application for extension and put in a stamp adding on another 365 days to the permission of stay.

Guest oriapplepie

"When I moved here in 2002, there was a provision for getting a Non Immigrant "O" Visa (90 day permission to stay) and the stay could be extended up to one year and renewed annually if you had 3million Baht invested in a Condo - but this was done away with several years ago."

So it means buying a condo no longer works... mmm... we read that another way is to have bank deposit of same amount in a Thai bank, not sure if it is valid now.

I believe that getting an ED visa should not be a problem since what I applied is a 4 years degree. Let's pray I get the admission and Thailand gets same sex domestic partnership/marriage in 4 years time XD

Thank you for the suggestion on getting a 90 days tourist visa to find school and place to live :) I will keep u guys updated.

By the way, where r u guys from? R there people from Hong Kong or Taiwan long term staying in Thailand too?

If you want to know about an investment visa, just google it (investment visa Thailand). The only investment visa I've ever heard about or read about involves 10 million baht or more and, it seemed, there was a fair amount of convoluted rigamarole in addition to the amount. As TJ said in his prior post, most of us have the good sense not to invest in this country at the present time (the government is a mess, the economy is not in good shape and lately has been heading south, etc.).  Plus there's the old adage (which I think is fairly true) that any foreigner who wants to make a small fortune in Thailand only needs to invest a larger fortune.

Where are we from?  I only know a few posters here and they are from the US, Canada, the UK, and Germany (and I'm probably forgetting an Aussie or two).  Never met any Taiwanese or Hong Kongians (I'm not sure if that's the proper term) here in Thailand but I'd guess there must be some here somewhere.